( search forums )
Linux Dedicated Server 1.1.3 (BETA 2)
Soldat Forums - Official Announcements - Official News
Michal Marcinkowski
April 18, 2003, 1:17 pm
Second beta of the Linux Server. The last version had some stability problems. I hope this will fix them. Also now you can run two servers from the same IP. I also added a small anti-lag system, that will be fully available in game version 1.1.4. The main idea is that you will always hit the opponent in the place he actually is, no matter what ping time you have. This is an opportunity to test it on the linux servers ("X)" before the server name). Comments really needed, so please tell how this works on the forum.
Available full server or patch for BETA 1 in the download page. There is also available the new Soldat Admin for Windows to control the linux server.

m1nt ch3w
April 18, 2003, 1:37 pm
Wow! anti-lag system! Cool!

Can't wait to see this working.

DNA.styx
April 18, 2003, 2:36 pm
Michal, any comments on reports of ppl getting false positive bans after playing on a *nix server? (or are they just dirty cheaters [:D])

Knuckles
April 18, 2003, 2:59 pm
Anti-lag system???

TheKnightoftheMare
April 18, 2003, 3:39 pm
hope this new system kicks ass!

Duke33
April 18, 2003, 7:20 pm
I hope it does too. Also you mention 1.1.4 michal...............could we have a release date for that...............:)

Michal Marcinkowski
April 18, 2003, 7:27 pm
Those were probably false bans on the linux servers. I hopefully fixed this too in this release of the server.
Duke33: Did I ever give any release date of something? :))

DNA.styx
April 18, 2003, 8:39 pm
So folks may be banned from *nix servers but that ban shouldn't be carried over to win32 servers and the lobby?

Duke33
April 18, 2003, 11:09 pm
Of course you never give release dates Michal. But, I can still hope........but this time, as befor,e you ahve not told us............joke. Anyway, at least i tried...............

Dragnet12
April 18, 2003, 11:41 pm
Im so gona go nuts when 1.1.4 is released..

N1nj@
April 19, 2003, 12:00 am
haha...creator of games always dont like to tell the release date...dunno why....

i guess it will be out when is ready, right Michal?

btw....that ban thing is a bug...it happens to me, DNA.styx on your server

but you never unbanned me...so i have to go thru lots of problem to get a new IP...so now i m not banned....o well

and the anti lag thing sound cool

is it like an opition like you can turn it off or on...or it is enable itself automatically

enjoyincubus
April 19, 2003, 12:25 am
quote:and the anti lag thing sound cool

is it like an opition like you can turn it off or on...or it is enable itself automatically

Why would you turn it off? :P

When the new version of Soldat is released, it will somehow unban all IP #'s, right? Because I was banned for "cheating" on a server, and I want to get unbanned soon....

Shadow

DNA.styx
April 19, 2003, 12:27 am
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@
btw....that ban thing is a bugMichal has yet to confirm it as a bug, if he does than I'll delete all 180 banned ips from the DNAGs server, 'til that time all ban stay in place (as I've said before).

N1nj@
April 19, 2003, 3:53 am
holy [:-censored]

i bet all those are banned cause of "cheating" on the server too

1 of them was me which like the other 179 didnt cheat...lol

it would be funny...if you (DNA.styx) got banned by cheating in your own server...will you remove your own ip?

SBaL
April 19, 2003, 5:49 am
can you still remember when you got banned ?
I mean, I got kicked for cheating quite often... And I noticed it only happens if I use the spas-12, and else nothing happens... can anyone confirm this ?

mat
April 19, 2003, 1:04 pm
for me it happened with socom on unix server... and i got got banned my ass so good that i can't play since... soo... i'm really sceptic on the (x) now

quote:Originally posted by Ninj@
it would be funny...if you (DNA.styx) got banned by cheating in your own server...will you remove your own ip?

i dunno why but i just wish so much to see that :D, and styx's face on that!

question about anti-lag system: so, if I have a 800 ping, and kill a guy with 0ping that's running, how will he see that? he will run away from my m79, and then just blow up suddenly 800ms away from my explosion?

N1nj@
April 19, 2003, 4:32 pm
i just tried this linux server thing with jadzor

he uses linux OS and play soldat

i tried it...it seems not taht laggy and i think the anti-lag system is working i guess...

getting between 100-150 in his server, but then again, it was only two poeple in the server

so i dont really know does the anti-lag actually WORKS, and also, we only tried it for like only 10 minutes

Plague
April 19, 2003, 8:45 pm
Finally no missing cuz of the lag, great job Michal!
As a fellow programmer I have a theory about how this "Anti-LAG System" works:
In the current version when you shoot, your comp sends to the server the direction you shot to and the server checks if u hit anyone, therefore, if someone wasn't really at the place you were aiming at, u'd miss.
With the new "system", your comp sends to the server not only the shot but also hits which accured on YOUR comp, and this way u can't miss cuz of the lag cuz there is no lag for the shots (there still are stuff like teleporting).
This is my theory, if I'm wrong plz correct me.

p.s. This is my first post. (check out the sig, made it myself using 3D Studio MAX [:D])

N1nj@
April 19, 2003, 9:34 pm
well i HOPE this is how it works....cuase i tried it with jadzor as i said b4 in my previous post

but dunno does it works cuase tehre is only me and him (2 poeple) and we only tested it for like 5 minutes

so i dunno

p.s. Welcome to soldat forum, enjoy your stay and nice sig, but kinda too big, what you use to make it...

SuperKill
April 19, 2003, 9:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal Marcinkowski
Second beta of the Linux Server. The last version had some stability problems. I hope this will fix them. Also now you can run two servers from the same IP. I also added a small anti-lag system, that will be fully available in game version 1.1.4. The main idea is that you will always hit the opponent in the place he actually is, no matter what ping time you have. This is an opportunity to test it on the linux servers ("X)" before the server name). Comments really needed, so please tell how this works on the forum.
Available full server or patch for BETA 1 in the download page. There is also available the new Soldat Admin for Windows to control the linux server.

!
i could've SWARE i'm playing at a game in a ping of 200 and still i'm hitting with direct shots.
dont know if its a bug or something but it sure was cool.

N1nj@
April 19, 2003, 10:52 pm
where you played? cause i tried too on a linux server

getting 300 (pretty laggy), but direct shot actaully kill poeple

but only problem is...they died 1 second later...

does that happen to you Superkill?

SuperKill
April 19, 2003, 11:13 pm
yep
but i cant remember the name..

N1nj@
April 20, 2003, 2:16 am
o that happen to you too...mayb michal could fix that too

that fuking sniper
April 20, 2003, 10:59 am
They die one second later because of the lag, if its laggy, itll take more time to recieve the signal from the server, thus he is killed 1 sec later in your case.....

The anti-lag system is there to insure that they DO get killed, so you wont have to shoot infront enymore.....

TheKnightoftheMare
April 20, 2003, 11:09 am
but what does the other person see? Do they think they dodge the M79 nade but then out of nowhere they explode?

N1nj@
April 20, 2003, 3:05 pm
ya...what do the peron see...michal?

TheKnightoftheMare
April 20, 2003, 3:47 pm
because if what I said is true, then maybe this system shouldnt be used?I would have to lead the target more then dying from bullets that shot 1000 feet away from me :|

N1nj@
April 20, 2003, 7:40 pm
okay...this anti-lag system DOES work

some good and bad

GOOD:

*you can just shot your target directly without aiming slightly in front or behind your target like before
*more FUN, less lag

BAD:
*some teleporting and screenlag sometimes although you have a low ping (100-200)
*admin bugs....according to jadzor (a linux user), he told me taht if there are two admin on the same serve at the same time, and one of them try using a command, for instance, /nextmap, the server tells you "invalid password, cannot login, exiting soldat admin"

enjoyincubus
April 20, 2003, 7:51 pm
So the anti-lag thing is only available to Linux users right now?
*starts downloading Linux* I still don't see how this system is possible...seems to me like it is cutting through time somehow.

But I do see a difference...I'll be on one side of the screen and get killed on the other!

Shadow

N1nj@
April 21, 2003, 1:22 am
also...the health pack decreases 1 sec later too if some1 shot you

BHedL
April 25, 2003, 9:27 pm
I'm not positive I understand the anti-lag thingy, but I think it sounds good. But are the respawn times for ctf gonna be fixed in the new version? Cause right now they seem kinda... random.

BManx2000
April 26, 2003, 5:01 am
The Anti-lag system rules! If you ask me, the pros greatly outweigh the cons

Pros:
-It evens out the match in terms of ping (it's like everyone having 0 ping) so it doesn't matter as much how fast your connection is, or if you are the server host.
-this would also encourage players with regular modems to play more (like Evo)
-this would fix what I like to call the INVISBLE NADE BUG! This is what it is: say you throw a nade at a person in midair, and the nade explodes. But if you have a somewhat high ping, the nade might not actually explode, but since it doesn't reappear, the nade is basically invisible to you. So after you throw the nade, you run after the person, and boom, you just suicided. But with anti-lag, if the nade appears to explode, then it did.
-NOT HAVING TO AIM AHEAD!

Cons:
-You can get hit by bullets that don't look like they're hitting you, making it harder to dodge bullets.

That's about it for the cons, as far as I can tell. So, please Michal, MAKE THIS A FULL FEATURE IN 1.14!!!

that fuking sniper
April 26, 2003, 7:59 am
He said he will, so sweet! it brings back the lagless times of 1.5b, great, normal sniping is back to soldat!

Currently the XGN server is my fav of all linuxes, problem is only 5 weaps or so are allowed :(

NightCabbage
April 26, 2003, 2:27 pm
haha, well, sounds like it would even the field a bit :)

lol

but there would of course be problems...

but i'm very interested to see what people think of the system

it will change the way soldat works quite a bit, im sure you will find

perhaps a server-side option would be a nice idea

oh, and sorry for my lack of forum-goingness lately, i will return full again in a day or 2!
i have just been taking care of a few things

NightCabbage

HiFi
April 27, 2003, 4:45 pm
Ya.. linux server is good..!
Server:
poksi.net:23073

sanity
April 28, 2003, 6:28 am
linux servers are so much more stable than windows ones... i hope all the dedicated servers turn to linux once this comes out of the beta stage.

m1nt ch3w
April 28, 2003, 12:31 pm
I'm guessing most of the linux servers all have this....

But I guess some of them don't. I'm shooting them with the barret but they just won't die! lol

And if it does become a server side option - make it be in filters and have a different symbol infront of the server like the linux ones. xl) or sumtin. I dunno.

N1nj@
April 28, 2003, 10:33 pm
there are more cons than you think BManX

- some teleporting and screenlag sometimes although you have a low ping (100-200)
- more respawn bug has occurs, like respawning outside the map, and sometimes after map change, you are respawn in the middle of the map

chrisfu
April 28, 2003, 10:52 pm
Could some people check by pub server and give me a rough idea on what might be going wrong?

195.157.97.97:23073

N1nj@
April 29, 2003, 4:32 pm
what do you mean what might be going wrong?

is that a linux server btw? if not , then you shouldn't post it here.

try posting on the Help forum if you need help

chrisfu
April 29, 2003, 4:34 pm
Yes, it's a Linux server. Yes, I was having problems. But no, I'm not anymore. :D

SuperKill
April 29, 2003, 5:01 pm
bah..
56k'ers would so rule us.....

NightCabbage
April 30, 2003, 1:46 am
lol - yes, we shall rise up and...

ummm....

lol

NightCabbage

Xorax
April 30, 2003, 3:38 am
lmao, just had a funny experience with this.. ok "scenario"

I come running from left jump shoot dude with my barret up right, continue running (this was in bottom of arena) and 0.5 secs later I see a shoot come down from up left and I die (also barret)..

o.O ?!?!?!

Ok, so, I shoot he die I continue.. and wth, I get shoot after he is stone cold dead! I had very low ping around 16 and he had 450-600 around..

It all happened on this server 212.149.243.80 <-- X server hmm..

My conclusion is this.. instead of having 1 dude with bad ping.. we now get 2... heh
Think Michal should work on lowering amount of data that need to be sent between server/player,
Cant try to fool time you know :) and heh, I for one dont like having a disadvantage cause someone with modem from australia choose to play on a swedish server, cause he know he get 1 extra second to kill someone.

Well, anyone up for a chat about these servers? ^ look my info :d

that fuking sniper
April 30, 2003, 5:22 am
He has a point there, people will be able to shoot whithout having to aim ahead, while the hunted cant see where he should go...

N1nj@
April 30, 2003, 9:10 pm
netcode should be the thing to work on :)...but that is if you meaning michal has time and money on it.

it would be great with all this low pings. Think about everyone have like 10-20 pings. WOW! is like a dream. LOL

littlewhoo
April 30, 2003, 11:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@
netcode should be the thing to work on :)...but that is if you meaning michal has time and money on it.

it would be great with all this low pings. Think about everyone have like 10-20 pings. WOW! is like a dream. LOL

even the best netcode can't do, what the new anti lag system can do. A lot of IPSs (especially those providing DSL lines) are using interleaved instead of fastpath transmission mode.
With such an internet connection the best ping you can get TO THE FIRST HOP is 60-70 ms. This means an average ping of 100-200 when playing Counterstrike and an average ping of 200-400 when playing Soldat.

N1nj@
April 30, 2003, 11:06 pm
the netcode would do. It will bring all our ping down

Counterstrike is different dude, it has more graphical stuff and 3D. dont relate them together...they dont go together. so stop

Xorax
May 1, 2003, 2:00 am
Well, the only thing as I see that causes our higher pings (talking about nothing here), is Michal's anti-cheat system.. hmm.. Maybe release a dedicated server pack, that wont have this? But in other hand, that server wont show in ASE or in Lobby? (meaning only ppl you know go in).

Could be great for clan games (unless you met someone cheating lmao) hehe :)

wormdundee
May 1, 2003, 2:23 am
yeh, but of course if he releases a new version with no anti-cheat (which i might add you can still get around i believe), then you will suddenly have a flood of dumbasses cheating again, and i never want that to happen again, about 10000000 times worse than a bad lag

N1nj@
May 1, 2003, 3:30 am
why is the anti-cheat system making higher pings for us?

wormdundee
May 1, 2003, 3:57 am
ok, seriously, do you have any brains at all??? obviously the more stuff running during the playing of a game the slower it will run

N1nj@
May 1, 2003, 3:50 pm
it shouldn't affect too much on your ping tho

Xorax
May 1, 2003, 4:17 pm
Well, as I wrote. If he release a dedicated server thing with no anti-cheat in it.. It shouold NEVER show in either ASE or Lobby.. It should only be used for personal games. :)

Meaning there wont be any cheaters on these servers.. and all other server would still berunnning anti-cheat...

N1nj@
May 1, 2003, 8:58 pm
but i still dont get it tho...anti cheat shouldn't affect your ping...it doesnt effect your connections...is like opening winamp (a music player)

Ardaen
May 2, 2003, 3:44 am
Anti-cheat does affect your connection. It makes sense that it does [:)]. No I wont explain. [:p]

that fuking sniper
May 2, 2003, 4:05 am
Anti cheat has to check eny information sent between the server and the somputers playing on it, thus slowing down the process, back then it would just read the info sent whithout checking it, if the info had tweaked text (cheats) then it will obey it, now whenever it detects modification from the original text it doesnt allow it and bans the player whith that feedback......

N1nj@
May 2, 2003, 8:11 pm
okay i get it...it does, thank for explaining

RuFIo
May 4, 2003, 4:32 am
im just asking, would you please losten the restrictions on the anti-cheat stuff... i use callwave internet answering machine, and the other day, it said i cheated about 5 times in a row, and i believe it had something to do with both running at the same time... please check it out for me... [:-banghead]thx[:-banghead]

N1nj@
May 4, 2003, 3:32 pm
hmm...i dont think that affects it

Flanagan
May 5, 2003, 5:36 am
Ninj@, you're an idiot.

I think that the steps Michal is doing to 1) Lessen lag and 2) increase the stability of servers and 3) cut down on cheating is great.

As he gets better at coding, he'll be able to reduce the lag, increase stability, and cut down on coding.

@ Ninj@ - Soldat and CS are the same in that they are both games. Also, think about it. If CS is more graphical, than shou;dn't it have higher average lag, no, because it's optimised more. Soldat will eventually become like that.

that fuking sniper
May 5, 2003, 7:21 am
Graphics do not affect lag directly, internet games dont send you the COMPLETE image your computer shows, it sends it what it needs to show, and your comp decodes that whith the game installation, graphics and images are loaded from your own computer, and weather it slows down or not is internal........

And yes, as Flanagan said, as Michal gets better at coding, he'll find better forumlas and codes, making soldat better for us little fans to play, I think that there should be a dedicated server pack, just like Xorax suggested, people could set up good and private games, whithout needing anti-cheat......

Xorax
May 11, 2003, 9:21 am
hmm.. topic been quiet for some time now :d ...

But still.. Michal if you read this... could you tel us what your plans with the anti lag system are? Cause if you implent that, it would be nicest if it was optional from server side... =)

N1nj@
May 17, 2003, 10:20 pm
obivously they are BOTH GAMES, waht a dumbass, and you are the idiot [:-censored]er, CS is a 1st person shooting game and this is not

and obivously if Michal gets better at coding, he can reduce the lag more

talkin bull[:-censored]

SnakeFury
May 18, 2003, 7:03 pm
Wow this game is defintely popular with people from Israel. I'm in the USA and will always pledge support to our allies. I'm in service right now and bored to death. This standard issue comp is crap so the anti lag system sounds kewl cause im sick of missing when in real life i'm a sharpshooter.

N1nj@
May 19, 2003, 2:36 am
oh cool, welcome to the forum man