( search forums )
what it needs to run a good soldat server?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
N1nj@
April 21, 2003, 10:50 pm
tell me waht it needs to run a good server

like how much space, ram etc.

Dragnet12
April 21, 2003, 11:09 pm
t4 , gig ddr ram, 3ghz pentium , 1gb space..
Or you could just use a computer that runs soldat and cable..

SuperKill
April 21, 2003, 11:51 pm
there is a T-4 ?!?!?!

Vash
April 22, 2003, 6:09 am
I try to run a server, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...maybe because I'm behind a router or something, I don't know.

But yeah, a regular computer with decent specs and a Cable/DSL connection or better should run a 6 to 8 player game pretty good.

mr_bob
April 22, 2003, 6:41 am
i go throu a router and i also have aol and i have no problem hosting but only 2 of my 6 computers in my house will run soldat and i have to play on a different computer if i make one a server no big deal thou and i say that as long as u have cable or dsl and have it dedacated that it will run fine but u just have to guess how many players u can have in before it start to really lag bad

seacow
April 25, 2003, 11:32 pm
quote:
But yeah, a regular computer with decent specs and a Cable/DSL connection or better should run a 6 to 8 player game pretty good.

[:O] You are joking right?
How come Soldat Dedicated server demands a great deal more than games like Half-Life and Battlefield 1942?

n2j3
April 26, 2003, 12:02 am
LoL @ seacow! Welcome to Soldat 1.1.x.!
To run a 10ppl game you should have at least a T1 (with still an average of 150-200 ping).
On my old connection (cable 600/128 d/u) and the old version of Soldat (1.0.5b i could host 8 player games without
trouble (ping average 100). With my cable upgraded (lol) to 1024/256 in the new version I hardly host a petty 3v3 (with the ping spiking to 300 or 400 occasionally). Does this sound familiar?
[Edit]
Btw, I can host Acid Arena Turbo (Quake3 mod) without any noticable lag on the same connection. That's why the sole improvement that is imperative at the moment for Soldat is : netcode optimisation or reprogramming. I think football soldat or other wonderful (i'm not being sarcastic) ideas should be secondary imo.

that fuking sniper
April 26, 2003, 11:03 am
Heh, in 1.5b I still had a 56k, and I used to have 100-150, less than 100 on bumpys....

In the later stages of 1.5b I got my DSL, went crazy about it, then came the patch, lagged like hell, looking at soldat, I'd prefer having a 56k and playing 1.5b than having DSL and playing 1.1.x considering lag......

seacow
April 26, 2003, 3:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by n2j3
LoL @ seacow! Welcome to Soldat 1.1.x.!
To run a 10ppl game you should have at least a T1 (with still an average of 150-200 ping).
On my old connection (cable 600/128 d/u) and the old version of Soldat (1.0.5b i could host 8 player games without
trouble (ping average 100). With my cable upgraded (lol) to 1024/256 in the new version I hardly host a petty 3v3 (with the ping spiking to 300 or 400 occasionally). Does this sound familiar?
[Edit]
Btw, I can host Acid Arena Turbo (Quake3 mod) without any noticable lag on the same connection. That's why the sole improvement that is imperative at the moment for Soldat is : netcode optimisation or reprogramming. I think football soldat or other wonderful (i'm not being sarcastic) ideas should be secondary imo.

I certainly agree. If anyone that makes this great game sees this, know that I would be glad to assist you in the netcoding issues. For example, is dead-reckoning techinques present in the current version of Soldat?

enjoyincubus
April 27, 2003, 12:17 am
Hmmm...I run on standard cable with average pings of 66-133 EVEN when I am playing...ask around about {GSS} Shadow's Server, and people will tell you it is pretty good for a little cable connection...

Shadow