( search forums )
FAQ for using orginal textures and Scenery gfx
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
EvilLaugh
May 3, 2003, 6:23 am
(Sticky this please)
When you make a map pack with orginal textures, please please PLEASE make sure you read the following tips on how to make it work ok.

@- Filenames Of Gfx and Textures
Name your files allong the lines of "Mapname_ObjectName.bmp" this way, people cannot overright orginal textures.
Here is an example Outlands_building1.bmp

@- Construct a file system.
Its important to creat a file structure inside the zip file so it allows easy unzipping and not having to place objects here and there.
Create a new folder for where all your mapping will be. Create it outside your soldat folder (perhaps in MyDocuments) call it somethin along the lines of "SoldatMapCreation" Inside this, create 3 new folders,
Maps
Textures
Scenery-gfx
Make sure the spelling of each file name is perfect.

Secondly, copy all Scenery Gfx's used into the right folder. Same for Textures and Maps. then Create a new winzip folder and Copy and past all folders into this new archive. Delete the folders and test it if you want too. After completion make sure you remove all the folder cotents.

@- Files Used
Make sure that all the files used that appear in the list go into to the correct folders and that all are there. ITS IMPORTANT TO DO THIS OTHERWISE YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE POSSIBLE MISSING BITMAPS YOURSELF! Ive done it before, ive just caught enjoyincubus out with it too : )

@- Readmeh's!
readme's must explain fully a step by step procedure of how to instal the map properly. If it dont work, you fail, you get discredited for your work, and it ends up a waste of time. Just make sure you explain fully what you have to do.

I hope this helps the keen people

Ender
May 5, 2003, 6:04 pm
stick this thread mod dude :)

enjoyincubus
May 23, 2003, 4:32 pm
Ok, I think it's time for this to be sticky...too many people asking about this problem! :P

(topic made sticky-Enjoyincubus)

EvilLaugh
May 27, 2003, 1:12 pm
:O Stickehed!

Xorax
May 27, 2003, 2:34 pm
ehm, I dun understand.. so I go rename all my orignal scenery and make new ones with their old names? :P

EvilLaugh
May 28, 2003, 6:52 pm
:O
No.... you leave the orginal scenery alone. All scenery being applied to the new maps should have names that will not be overwritten by other maps using other scenery.

Zero72
April 5, 2004, 7:52 pm
What if you get an "Original scenery could not be modified, please reinstall Soldat" error when you add custom scenery?

The scenery in question sure as hell wasn't a modification of an original one. [:-grumpy]

Lothus
January 16, 2005, 12:23 pm
OK, so when i should send the map to someone i have to send the texture that the map is made by, the scenary files thats in the map and the PMS file...OK?
So i should pack this files in a zip file in the following folders
Scenary-gfx
Map
Textures

But should i rename the texture file before i put it in the zip? is that what u mean? but my teaxture file was called the orginal name when i built the map, should i rename it anyway?

(i know maybe im stupid but i have to ask anyway)

Sam
February 19, 2005, 9:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by LothusOK, so when i should send the map to someone i have to send the texture that the map is made by, the scenary files thats in the map and the PMS file...OK?
So i should pack this files in a zip file in the following folders
Scenary-gfx
Map
Textures

But should i rename the texture file before i put it in the zip? is that what u mean? but my teaxture file was called the orginal name when i built the map, should i rename it anyway?

(i know maybe im stupid but i have to ask anyway)

You only need to include in the ZIP the scenery YOU made, you dont need to include a scenery that comes with soldat. For example, if you put in your map 'tree.bmp' you dont need to include that in your ZIP, however if you include a bmp that you made you need to include it.

The same goes with the texture, If you made the texture, you need to include it in the ZIP, if its a texture that came with soldat, yuo dont.

As for the naming of scenery, its always easiest to include the name of the map in the scenery name. For example, your custom scenery you made is called building1.bmp, and your map is called outlands, call the scenery outlands_building1.bmp. This can help in 2 ways:
1. It helps the user delete the map if they dont like it, because thay can just look at the prefix of the map and find out which map it links to.
2. Say your scenery was called 'tree.bmp' as there is already a 'tree.bmp' that comes packed with soldat, when you unzip the zip the file will overwrite the one alerady there, casuing scenery errors and making the user re-install soldat. Naming a scenery this way helps eliminate this error.

Hope i could be of help.

Deleted User
February 20, 2005, 12:13 am
I think this is pretty much map-standard these days, guys.

Technically, all maps should conform to EvilLaugh's standard, and everyone will be happy.

Icarius
February 27, 2005, 8:21 am
It's still a shame I got banned for flaming people in a flaming forum : (

Raptor
May 10, 2005, 5:02 pm
This topic really helped me! Good Job EvilLaugh!!!

Deleted User
May 10, 2005, 8:40 pm
Raptor, this topic is ancient. It was ancient when it was first brought back up, though I suppose it does need reviving every now and then.

Raptor
May 16, 2005, 5:37 pm
Why can't I say my opinion about this topic?