( search forums )
PAUSE w/ LINUX - FINISH THE GAME!!!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Mossy
May 6, 2003, 11:07 pm
I honestly think that the game needs more updates than doing all this Linux stuff! I've gotten the feeling that Mike is wasting his time with Linux - It's a great system n' such but I think the main focus should be Soldat it'self - there are a couple of bugs and ideas waiting to be implemented + the fact that you might have to update the Linux stuff again because of game changes - so how about we get the game polished and then put on the new laces(shoe comparison for those who don't understand).

chrisfu
May 7, 2003, 1:58 am
I couldn't disagree with you more. The Linux server going stable will mean a LOT of new servers popping up, which will in turn be the catalyst for a Soldat boom. Hopefully more players == more registrations, funding Michal and spurring him on to devote more time to Soldat.

All we need now is the bugs ironing out of the Linux server software, and I'll be a very, very happy man. As it stands right now, I get about 2-3 hours out of the server before it dies.

BManx2000
May 7, 2003, 2:05 am
All I can say is, ANTI-LAG RULES! Of course, once the bugs are worked out it will not be just linux, but right now I'm lovin' those linux servers!

mr_bob
May 7, 2003, 2:07 am
ok your saying that only linux servers has bug soldat also has bugs so i think he should fix soldat before he goes to linux cuz personally i think linux sucks but thats just me so i agree with mossy b/c i always have problems with soldat

enjoyincubus
May 7, 2003, 2:09 am
Why do we need more servers? We already have like 5 people to a server on average....you want it to go down to 2 people a server? Linux is great and all, but we Window's people should be first in line...after all, it's their own fault for following that dumb little penguin around! I feel the same as Mossy on this one....Windows was here first, Windows gets first dibs on the game. Linux has to wait for the leftovers and be happy! ;P

Shadow

N1nj@
May 7, 2003, 2:31 am
i hope both linux and windows version gets updates with the anti-lag system

cant wait for 1.1.4 to come OUT!

Mossy
May 7, 2003, 3:30 am
I basically just want the bugs fixed and possibly have some forum ideas put in - instead of messing with Linux stuff all this time. :/

NightCabbage
May 7, 2003, 4:18 am
Well, a few points/problems:

a) linux servers dont seem to show up on ASE
I think that EVERY Soldat server should show up on ASE without a serverside option... It would be nice if we had ONE place to find servers like every other bloody game :)
Instead we now have to check ASE and Soldat lobby to find games
and you cant even see linux servers on ASE at all...

b) Anti-lag is good... BUT!! It's still buggy!!
Problem number 1 (and its the biggest problem):
Sometimes when you shoot someone straight out with a barret (and they have no vest) and it hits them and blood comes out on your screen, they still might not get hit!!!
Also, sometimes when you miss by a small amount, by shooting just above their head when they are going up or just below their feet when they are going down, they will get hit!!

SO IT DOESNT WORK PROPERLY YET :(

This needs fixing...

sometimes i get on a server and it takes me about 2 minutes to figure out that it is using the anti-lag system because i keep hitting people and nothing happens!!!!

grrrr!!! :P

c) In order to have more servers, we need more players (and too many plyers is a bad thing, trust me) Shadow makes a valid point there.

d) more people are flicking around the screen - it ends up giving laggy people a large advantage coz no one can hit someone that teleports half way across the screen 7 times in the amount of time it takes to reload a Barret!!!

e) the linux servers should be identical on the outside - eg. except for whats going on inside the program, there should be no differences... the linux server seems to be going in a different direction at the moment...

n2j3
May 7, 2003, 10:56 am
quote:Originally posted by NightCabbage
Well, a few points/problems:

b) Anti-lag is good... BUT!! It's still buggy!!
Problem number 1 (and its the biggest problem):
Sometimes when you shoot someone straight out with a barret (and they have no vest) and it hits them and blood comes out on your screen, they still might not get hit!!!

hmm... this happens in normal servers all the time i think it's a lag issue more than anything.

BManx2000
May 7, 2003, 3:07 pm
Yes, but with anti lag it's not supposed to happen!

TheKnightoftheMare
May 7, 2003, 3:35 pm
we need more good servers the rest suck.Thats why (i think) alot of players left cause of all the lag.

chrisfu
May 7, 2003, 4:07 pm
"ok your saying that only linux servers has bug soldat also has bugs so i think he should fix soldat before he goes to linux cuz personally i think linux sucks but thats just me so i agree with mossy b/c i always have problems with soldat"

Why does Linux suck? It's a hell of a lot more stable than anything Microsoft can offer. I wasn't saying the Windows server wasn't bugged, I was saying that the Linux server needs to be equally as good as the Windows server, otherwise the admins of the Linux beta servers will just give up with the idea of running a server altogether.

"Windows was here first, Windows gets first dibs on the game. Linux has to wait for the leftovers and be happy! ;P"

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few years, there are a LOT of Linux boxes floating around online. I happen to have access to one with a very, very fast connection (UK backbone) and plenty of CPU horsepower. Most of the Windows servers arn't 24/7 and are on cable connections, DSL etc. Fixing the linux server code will benefit everyone, even Windows users. Trust me.

"we need more good servers the rest suck.Thats why (i think) alot of players left cause of all the lag"

Exactly. I have such a server running the Linux client. It has an ultra-low ping and zero lag, even when full. Shame the Linux server keeps bombing out every 2 hours. I've been getting the same error constantly since setting the server up, and not one person has even suggested what causes it and how it might be fixed. Michal hasn't even commented on it.

Exception EIdSocketError in module soldatserver at 0806E986.
Socket Error # 111
Connection refused.

After the error occurs, everyone in the game sees the 'Connection Problem' message, no one can move or fire etc. It requires a restart. Is there any unity left in this community?

SuperKill
May 7, 2003, 7:50 pm
^ listen to him

N1nj@
May 7, 2003, 9:30 pm
quote:hmm... this happens in normal servers all the time i think it's a lag issue more than anything.

listen to n2j3 :)

enjoyincubus
May 7, 2003, 9:39 pm
Ok, I guess you cannot read very well chrisfu....I said WINDOWS WAS HERE FIRST!

I don't want to hear an arguement about that, because I know for a fact that Windows was around first....so even though Linux may be better in your opinion, you still need to read and comprehend what others say before you try to mock them in any way or form....

Windows was announced in 1983, Windows 1.0 was released in 1985....

Linux 0.01 was released in September 1991....

So yes, Windows was here first, so therefore we Windows users should be the top priority, not you Bill Gates haters....just realize it's age over anything else in many fields of play. ;)

Shadow

Mossy
May 7, 2003, 10:09 pm
Ummmmm - off topic...

chrisfu
May 8, 2003, 2:28 am
quote:Originally posted by enjoyincubus
Ok, I guess you cannot read very well chrisfu....I said WINDOWS WAS HERE FIRST!

I don't want to hear an arguement about that, because I know for a fact that Windows was around first....so even though Linux may be better in your opinion, you still need to read and comprehend what others say before you try to mock them in any way or form....

Windows was announced in 1983, Windows 1.0 was released in 1985....

Linux 0.01 was released in September 1991....

So yes, Windows was here first, so therefore we Windows users should be the top priority, not you Bill Gates haters....just realize it's age over anything else in many fields of play. ;)

Shadow

Shadow, I can read perfectly fine thanks. Can you? I hate to be a pedant, but I can't see where I stated that Linux was here first. Nor can I see where I was mocking anyone even in the slightest. I merely offered my opinion that generally, you can run program X under Linux in a more stable environment than you can in Wintel. Petitioning a halt of the Linux server development will only hinder the community in the long run.

I can see *exactly* what Michal is doing. Aside from a few bugs, the Linux server software is nearly complete. Once these bugs are ironed out (should be pretty easy), the Linux server will be just as complete as the Windows server. From then on, he can develop them side-by-side. There are some VERY nice, fast and lagless Linux servers popping up at the moment; servers that wouldn't be here without the effort Michals putting into this Linux server project. It's evident that he's nearly done with this, and then obviously he turn his focus back to the client.

Finally, no: I don't hate Windows. I just share Michals foresight and realize that he's spending time on this project to benefit this whole community.

NightCabbage
May 8, 2003, 2:40 am
n2j3 + N1nj@:

normal server:
you have to aim where the person is going to be in < ping > amount of time
fair enough, thats normal

anti-lag server:
you SHOULD be able to aim at where the person is on the screen at the time of shooting, reguardless of ping and lag.
However, as I said before, sometimes I can hit someone on an anti-lag server and it will miss, and sometimes i can miss and it will hit

this needs fixing :)

enjoyincubus
May 8, 2003, 3:18 am
Arg! Sorry bout that, my friend (who hates Linux) wrote that last post by me....

Obviously, while I was outside cleaning up, he decided to get on here and look around....

No worries, I took him out and beat him up! :P j/k

Shadow

N1nj@
May 8, 2003, 10:31 pm
NightCabbage: yes i know

akiross
May 20, 2003, 6:13 pm
The server is very important for the game, cause Soldat is basically a game that's good if played on-line. So, i suppose that make a good server, make a good game. And there are 2 ways to make soldat better:
1. Improve the server -> this will improve on-line game
2. Improve the client -> this will improve the game itself
So, i think that, for now, it's better to improve the quality of an online match, as the game - that, for me, is very good -

And, as a Linux user :) i think that use linux server instead windows server is better >:)

Sayounara

Snor
May 21, 2003, 3:09 am
The linux server is the best thing that has happened to this game, in my opinion.

Evolution
May 23, 2003, 12:03 am
wha??????

i dont think so.
or maybe its just because YOU use linux?

Snor
May 23, 2003, 4:43 am
I use linux for my desktop, like most lot of people... and linux for servers.. like most people again. Linux is a very popular OS for webservers and whatever else. See those 5 dedicated servers in my signature? They wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the linux server. How can you say that's not a good thing?

By the way, why does it only allow me to have 4 servers in lobby list?

skythe
June 22, 2003, 2:08 am
Windows was here first oh yeah? Linux is just another distribution based on Unix which came out in the 70's (http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix/history_timeline.html), Dos was released about 10 years later.. chew on it enjoyincubus

enjoyincubus
June 22, 2003, 2:28 am
READ THE WHOLE TOPIC.

It helps to know what you're talking about. True it may be that Unix was developed in the '70s. But did you honestly read what I said after the first post by "me" was made? I wrote again and said that it was in all actuality, MY FRIEND writing in. He is rather arrogant (just as you seem to be), and does not have all the facts. Actually, he makes some stuff up. Thankfully, he hasn't gotten logged on these forums since the one day I left a window open, which he used to post stuff for me...some friend...:P

So please try to read the whole topic...it really, truthfully helps. Besides, I don't like to "chew" on stuff...don't really know where it's been.

Enjoy

skythe
June 22, 2003, 10:23 pm
@enjoyincubus, windows here first? never! Linux is based on Unix which was initially released in the 70's (http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix/history_timeline.html) 10 years later the first dos version and then 5 yrs later the first crappy windoze was released. And even if they only started to work on linux in 1991 they made a lot more progress than windoze in this time and can even outmatch windows by now. Anyways its just a matter of time before microsoft starts integrating stronger spyware into the coming windows releases (which dont differ much, except for prices going up) and im not paying to get rid of my freedom. Oh hey how do you want to run a server on a system that requires a restart with any little installation and upgrade? - not to mention that it cant possibly be stable for more than a week!
cya in hopes of getting to play soldat on linux sometime

skythe
June 22, 2003, 10:25 pm
hm ups i missed my last post, thought it got lost, heres some arguments anyways

Molo Stoyez
June 23, 2003, 8:19 pm
dude, do the words "Welcome to the class for remedial students!" have any place in your past skythe? Or are you like those religious crazies who argue alone because they don't even listen to other's arguments? Edit key and reading posts helps.