( search forums )
Soldat-CLIENT for Linux?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
-RaveN`tP-
May 22, 2003, 7:20 pm
Hi Michal!

Just wanted to ask whether you plan to port the client to Linux, too.
Would be very cool [:D]

corey
May 22, 2003, 8:57 pm
It Would be VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY cool[:D]

DNA.styx
May 22, 2003, 9:37 pm
Soldat uses Direct X, *nix doesn't run DirectX AFAIK, so no soldat on *nix without a major re-write. Sorry.

enjoyincubus
May 22, 2003, 10:22 pm
So, the people who run these Linux servers...they can't play? Well, I would not run a server if I could not play on it....

But, as DNA.styx said, it's impossible to run without some MAJOR rewrites of countless pages of coding. So, it looks like Windows wins again. It's reasons like this that keep me from switching to Linux. If I cannot run games on Linux, then there is no reason for me to use it.

Maybe when everything else in Soldat is done, someone will take the time to rewrite all the codes....but I seriously doubt that the Linux version would be compatible with the Windows version, causing a very wide line in Soldat. There would have to be two lobbies....too much work...

Shadow

N1nj@
May 22, 2003, 11:05 pm
haha, lots of linux poeple is waiting for this, hehe

mr_bob
May 22, 2003, 11:37 pm
its never going to happen i remember someone saying this before and i have a feeling it was micheal but i might be wrong i peolly am but who knows maybe when he releases the script for it someone will but untill then prolly not

Ardaen
May 22, 2003, 11:40 pm
I wonder if some sorta wine/winelib type thing could be used with kylix?

mr_bob
May 22, 2003, 11:42 pm
what is that well sorry im not a linux user so yeah if u could explain please do

corey
May 24, 2003, 2:13 pm
ive tried to run soldat under wine(windows emulator for *nix) but it fails. somewhere ive read that the version 1.0.4b can be run under wine but it doesnt. if the source code of the game will be availble then with the help of others i could port it to linux.