( search forums )
'Original Scenery Cannot be Modified', Reprise
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
El Diablo
June 6, 2003, 8:55 pm
It's been touched on before, this 'Original Scenery Cannot be Modified' error, but I don't think anyone's come forward with my specific issue yet. Here is the deal.

I made a new map in the Soldat Map Maker 1.1. Very minimalist, no scenery, one spawn point, black polygons on a straight white background. I compiled it, and ran several uninspiring death matches with it. A smashing success.

When I tried to follow this up with a larger map, still no scenery, one spawn point, black polygons et al, the map compiled, but wouldn't run. I got the error 'Original Scenery Cannot be Modified'. Now, see, I didn't change any scenery. Hell, I didn't even include any scenery. So I thought this was kind of unusual.

I thought maybe the map was too large, or I'd made too many shapes, so I deleted most of it to see if the I could run what was left. I couldn't. I reinstalled the game and the map maker, but this didn't help the situation either. What could it be? Is the map horribly corrupt? Should I scrap it and move on? It's really cool, though. I mean, if you guys saw it, you'd think, "Yeah, this sucks, but it might be cool eventually."

So what's the deal?

El Diablo
June 7, 2003, 1:34 am
Note: Since the posting of this message, I have run into other, irreconcilable problems with the map editor, and have given up. The several totally badass maps I was making are GONE FOREVER, so WEEP. Cry and moan. The world has been robbed of something very awesome and good.

That is all.

muik
June 19, 2003, 3:51 am
instead of running into errors again and again, you should've always kept a working copy of your map. i always save my stuff under at least 3 filenames in case smth screws up. and it also kinds of "fix" the missing feature wich is delete scenery. or maybe i'm missing something.