( search forums )
which is worst? [anti-lag system]
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
TheKnightoftheMare
June 9, 2003, 11:37 am
which is worst?your m79 grenade go null after watching it exploded into the persons face who has 250ping or being killed by a sniper shot that was no where near you because of their 500ping?

I would like to think that being killed by bullets that never went near ya is bad.And this is what the anti-lag system does, makes it easier for people with real bad ping to kill while not fixing the probs on the other side.There seems to be more warping for people who have a 300+ping and alot more nulls, but still kill you even tho you have a 33ping.
Im hoping the currect anti-lag system wont be in the new verison which is why I made this long post.

edit: added 'sniper shot' and some fixes.

Inzurrection
June 9, 2003, 12:57 pm
good point.. but i think u will have a hard road ahead to get the anti lag system outta the new version,

but this would make the game easier for you to play aswell.. i usually get low ping...150-250, but i still think it is a gr8 idea, u will have a hard time getting this to stick,

but it dus piss me of about snipers that dont exist.. i think il sit on the fence on this one.. it has its pros and cons, but i think it will stick,

Inzurrection

mat
June 9, 2003, 7:38 pm
well... if you think a bit... u realize that the anti lag actually helps u hitting the other folks, right? but what about running away from bullets? (i mean especially any movement of defense) u just really can not run away from something that u cannot see... and practically what i managed to see in the anti lag is just that all the ppl is warping like hell...

make it at least "turn off" feature 'cause even if u play on anti-lagless servers u can play very well, but u got to have the ping till 200...

Ardaen
June 9, 2003, 8:12 pm
What ya gotta do for the antilag is make sure that laggy people's movements are smooth, get the server to predict where they should be or something and send that to the clients, then base the antilag on where the server says the players are/where.

Another thing the server could check is where the player is, if a sniper hit them with a lag shot, but the player is already far from that spot, it doesnt count.

morpheus
June 9, 2003, 9:12 pm
i don't really think there is a "true" solution for lag, other than finding a server close to you. unfortunately, there really aren't that many servers out there. at least, not enough for everyone around the world to get good connects.

maybe a few more of you guys who have broadband connections could set up a server. i know it would really be appreciated if there were more servers to choose from.

one thing that would be nice is if the lobby server accepted connections from all versions of soldat, instead of limiting it to just the current version, so if you're unhappy with the newest version, you could just go back to the old version.

TheKnightoftheMare
June 10, 2003, 6:31 am
thats just it, the system doesnt make it easier to hit people with 200+ping when you have 33ping, Theres alot of nulls and warping going on.

And morpheus this is happening alot when I have 33ping.So I dont see the point of having this system.

morpheus
June 10, 2003, 7:20 am
i know. it happens to me too. i was playing earlier today on a server getting a wonderful 33 ping, and was getting eaten alive by a steyr that i couldn't get away from. it looked like the bullets were missing me by at least an inch, but my power was going down, down, down. to me, this is just lag in reverse. to be able to get a good game you have to have a high ping. now does that make sense? i just hope there will be an option to turn the so called anti lag on or off unless some major changes have been made.

m1nt ch3w
June 10, 2003, 12:29 pm
Well, currently soldat is punnishing the people with high ping. With anti-lag it is punnishing people with low ping. We need to find a happy medium.

TheKnightoftheMare
June 10, 2003, 12:46 pm
I think the system should work towards >250, because if you have 500ping you need to go leave and find another server.

morpheus
June 10, 2003, 1:23 pm
well, i've seen several people who were on one server getting a nice low ping, and then move on to another server and get a high ping and then complain about lag. go figure that one.

and i've also seen people complain about lag who were pinging 100 and less, while i was stuck running around 200. go figure that one, too.

i know that lag is a real problem, but i also think that sometimes there's way to much emphasis put on it, and a lot of the time it's used as an excuse by a player that's getting his butt kicked.

most of the regulars that play on my server ping around 200 or less, which seems to be perfectly acceptable to them or they wouldn't keep coming back. i really hate to see them get punished just because some guy comes on pinging 500 plus. i guess this is when the ping kick will actually come in handy.

Plague
June 10, 2003, 3:18 pm
well the problem is that it will give the ppl who use auto weapons a big adventage
cuz, like it has been said, u try to dodge the bullets which r pretty slow moving
but cuz there is still lag they hit u anyway [:(!].
I think that the anti lag system should only affect the long reaload weapons - the Barret and probably the M79 too. I'm sure that there r some other snipers and grenadiers out there who had gr8 "hits" but really missed cuz of the lag and thought to themselves: "DAMN, that could have been a great hit..."

oranga
June 10, 2003, 7:26 pm
why does soldat have more lag than Quake 3 on my LAN ?

NightCabbage
June 11, 2003, 2:29 am
Quake 3 has had... a lot of money spent on it's net code ;)

We're lucky Soldat HAS netcode :P

Social Poison
June 11, 2003, 7:51 pm
It all depends on how the Lag system is done. I havn't experienced it myself so IDK really (havn't played a linux server as far as I know).

If the system works by taking the hit detection away from the host and giving it to the individual boxes then it might work well for both directions. Like:

On my comp I get a solid hit with an M79. On the server it's a near miss. On the Lag master's comp who I just wasted it was off by 4 body lengths. My comp sends a message to the server saying I killed so and so. The server then kills the character.

This could be annoying in the sence that you get missed by a ton and still die... but that happens anyways...

what do you think?

xXShavoXx
June 12, 2003, 7:22 am
Yeah, I was on a server earlier with a beautifle 22-50 ping fighting against people with 300+. Shots were fired completely away from me, which at first was kinda funny, made me wonder what the hell happened to Soldat when I realized I was being detracted of health. I hope Michal realizes that this "anti-lag" system needs to be refined. I'd think better netcoding would do better good...

NightCabbage
June 12, 2003, 8:25 am
Although the "He missed me by miles and I still died!" thing is annoying, I find the main problem to be that sometimes when you HIT someone on your screen it misses and someteims when you MISS (slightly lead ahead) it hits. That really does need to be fixed - otherwise we just don't know where to shoot at!

TheKnightoftheMare
June 12, 2003, 9:46 am
yeah I really hate wasting my m79 at the ghost players, then when the person really comes I die from bullets a 1000ft away from me.

TheKnightoftheMare
June 12, 2003, 1:43 pm
too bad michal will never know about this thread let alone read it.

sqweek
June 20, 2003, 2:58 pm
TheKnightoftheMare wrote:
quote:
I think the system should work towards >250, because if you have 500ping you need to go leave and find another server.

Hey! I used to kick ass with 400-500 ping in 1.0.5b :p
With my experience with high pings though, this isn't that big a problem. I'm on dialup and we've got a LAN set up here, so when I'm playing soldat and my brother/sister goes to check their e-mail or something my ping goes through the roof. I'm not sure what other people see, but I'll be running through the tunnel in ctf_run and suddenly I'll be dragged back to the flag and informed that I'm dead ;)
OTOH, this is an extreme, with lag involved also...