version 1.1.4
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
.FF.nEcRoTik
June 12, 2003, 12:11 am
Hey! today they were testing the new version!! [8D]

(moved to gen. discussions - DNA.styx)

barbie
June 12, 2003, 12:19 am
they where?? cool, when will it come out?

NightCabbage
June 12, 2003, 3:15 am
oooooooooooooo I want one! =D

Imma good tester too! :)

dark_skull66
June 12, 2003, 5:32 am
Tester man here! i tested for blizzard! payed 15 bucks every test!!!!

it owned! i gave it up for a 450$ a week job tho!!! LOL OWNED!!!!!!

.FF.nEcRoTik
June 12, 2003, 4:07 pm
I wouldn't mind being a tester too :D

TheKnightoftheMare
June 12, 2003, 4:08 pm
samehere.

b00stA
June 12, 2003, 5:42 pm
I don't want to show off or something but I'm a beta-tester.. already tested 1.0.5b, 1.1.0b and now 1.1.4

And NO I'm not gonna give you any inside stuff.

well but be prepared for.. a nice Soldat :P

.FF.nEcRoTik
June 12, 2003, 5:50 pm
And NO I'm not gonna give you any inside stuff.

well but be prepared for.. a nice Soldat :P

that's wonderful news already :D

enjoyincubus
June 12, 2003, 7:51 pm
Yeah...it's really really cool so far...

I like it too, though I've yet to play it online...

all I will say (sticking to true beta tester style) is it is worth registering now IMO...

You guys will like it. Well, most of you.

-EDIT-
hehe, after reading Social Poison's post, I decided to give an idea
of the release date-soon. ;)

Meaning some time in the month of June....:P

Enjoy

Social Poison
June 12, 2003, 7:51 pm
A general idea of a release date would be nice...

Liam
June 12, 2003, 8:25 pm
I'm really looking forward to 1.1.4, but I am sort of afraid that Michal gave in to all of the people that posted topics so they could whine for things like heat-seeking rocket launchers, proximity mines, swords and axes (yes, someone actually asked for those!), magic powers (those too!), etc. I would hate to see this game lose its appeal by adopting these ridiculous uber-weapons - for me, one of the most attractive aspects of the game was the realistic, balanced equipment that had something for every type of player.

enjoyincubus
June 12, 2003, 8:55 pm
Outcast: I'll talk to ya on MSN about that...we NEED to try it...

Liam: Don't worry....the game has not gone to hell. Just wait and see. If Michal set out to make a game a certain way, he wouldn't change it because of what some kid in Kansas says. The game is much better in a good way. Remember, it's the same game, with just additions. Nothing bad as far as I can see.

Enjoy

DNA.styx
June 12, 2003, 9:37 pm
The forum moderators get to test new stuff before it's released.

N1nj@
June 12, 2003, 9:55 pm
so is there a way for a normal person to be a beta tester?

TheKnightoftheMare
June 12, 2003, 9:56 pm
heh it looks good so far :P

ada89
June 12, 2003, 11:19 pm
its up..check the home page :)

sauron_the_deceiver
June 13, 2003, 12:20 am
HE'S RIGHT! YAY!

SERIAL KILLeR
June 13, 2003, 12:30 am
Has anyone tried the map mr. snowman.
because with me the map is transparent.
Want to know if its only me

Bravo_7
June 13, 2003, 1:42 am
Umm... am I the only one that doesn't see it on the download page?

.FF.nEcRoTik
June 13, 2003, 2:17 am
so is there a way for a normal person to be a beta tester?

so a beta tester is adnormal? :P j/k

well, this version is awesome but.. what the heck happened to the m79?! i really dunno how to say it.. but since i play soldat (since version 1.05b) i always play with the m79.. and it seems diferent now! i dunno how to explain but it's diferent.

that fuking sniper
June 13, 2003, 2:49 am
The chainsaws suck so much ass.............I've already seen people camping the tents in CTF_Viet near the flag with them, killing you if you try to pick them up....

Then spawn camping with the chainsaw is also one of the cheaper things that happened to soldat since a very long time.....

Another reason is that it leaves no good reason to use the knife, whats the point? it has a little more range than that of the knife, and it kills faster.........

Why were chainsaws put in the game?

Raven6
June 13, 2003, 2:59 am
same thought as sniper, chainsaw is overpowered by far. And how the hell did the chainsaw make it past beta? you guys must be on crack :P (random idiotic comment, i know.. just had to take a potshot)

seriously though, it takes away from the game. Before there was lots of skill involved when switching to secondary.. i don't see much point now.

And lastly, umm... soldier game... everything fits except for the chainsaw.. wtf? wat the hell kinda soldier carries around a chainsaw on his back?! just think about it! I'm from America, so sure, there's random ppl walking around on the streets with chainsaws.. but hell, you europeans are supposed to be civilized :)

enjoyincubus
June 13, 2003, 3:08 am
Yeah, us pothead beta testers, we don't know anything at all...

Dude, first off, we don't say "Michal, take this out this instant! I know Raven6 won't like it and he'll point at us and yell "crackhead!" I just can't take that!" Sure, I should have thought ahead and said "well, idiots will probably sit there and camp with it." But they do that with miniguns. They're about the same. But ya know what? Take that M72 LAW and blow him up! Problemo solvedo (dunno ;] ) Sometimes people like to play games just for fun, and its just a funny weapon. If you want to get into it, I can tell you that most soldiers don't walk around with 5 grenades strapped to their suit, or a USSOCCOM and an m79. Trust me, my dad is a soldier. We have more guns (and grenades, for that matter) in our garage than he does while he's fighting in the war. "Soldier" means lots of things. Soldiers lived in the 1300's. They didn't have these "guns" that we use today.

Honestly, the chainsaw is just Michal trying to poke a little fun into the game, but obviously some people are too oblivious to the fact that he is human too. He's no god, he's a person too, like it or not.

P.S: Mini-rants get ya nowhere here. A full-length rant complete with a trailer and a good ending may do something, but this won't help your cause for getting rid of the chainsaw. It's here to stay, like it or not...;)

Enjoy

N1nj@
June 13, 2003, 3:12 am
He is god to me :)

nko
June 13, 2003, 3:35 am
agreed!

Xorax
June 13, 2003, 4:14 am
chainsaw gonna be sweet to use against all those camping snipers o.O

Raven6
June 13, 2003, 10:18 am
Let me ask first off incubus, has anyone ever called you an egotistical prick? no? okay, well now someone has.

quote:Yeah, us pothead beta testers, we don't know anything at all...

don't bash potheads :) hehe

quote:Dude, first off, we don't say "Michal, take this out this instant! I know Raven6 won't like it and he'll point at us and yell "crackhead!" I just can't take that!" Sure, I should have thought ahead and said "well, idiots will probably sit there and camp with it." But they do that with miniguns. They're about the same. But ya know what? Take that M72 LAW and blow him up! Problemo solvedo (dunno ;] )
This really has nothing to do with me, so i'd appreciate it if you left out the sarcastic references, blatant or obscure. You should have said something, it was your job as a tester. Not just for me but for the community as a whole. And camping with a minigun? It's not nearly the same, it doesn't have a constant instant kill going (you can't just walk through a row of 4 ppl with a minigun, but you can with the chainsaw)

quote:Sometimes people like to play games just for fun, and its just a funny weapon. If you want to get into it, I can tell you that most soldiers don't walk around with 5 grenades strapped to their suit, or a USSOCCOM and an m79. Trust me, my dad is a soldier. We have more guns (and grenades, for that matter) in our garage than he does while he's fighting in the war. "Soldier" means lots of things. Soldiers lived in the 1300's. They didn't have these "guns" that we use today.
Fun. It's what this game is all about, its the whole damned point of it. That's why we're trying to make it balanced again, so it is "a fun game." And obviously, someone doesn't understand the difference between "a funny weapon" and "a fun game." (did ya like that obscure reference to enjoyincubus? thought so) The point where you pull stuff outa your ass about your dad is... pointless, and right about now I honestly don't trust your opinion. Are basically all the weapons from 1.1.3 usable in general warfare? yes. Does a chainsaw fit into this picture? no. And if you find an obscure reference to one being used (or say your daddy chopped someone up with one), i'll just laugh at you for trying to spite me.

quote:Honestly, the chainsaw is just Michal trying to poke a little fun into the game, but obviously some people are too oblivious to the fact that he is human too. He's no god, he's a person too, like it or not.

you gotta stop trying to put people down like that, it's not polite. And who knows, mebbe he is god. Already got 2 votes for yes right under me haha

quote:P.S: Mini-rants get ya nowhere here. A full-length rant complete with a trailer and a good ending may do something, but this won't help your cause for getting rid of the chainsaw. It's here to stay, like it or not...;)

blahblahblah, if its unbalanced, he'll fix it. This discussion only really came about because it simply is too powerful and exploitable in its current state. I respect Michal incredibly, he has made a wonderful game. But i do believe it would be a step in the right direction to remove or at the very least, weaken the chainsaw.

Thanks,
Raven6
(waits for the inevitable flame)

P.S. don't try to put ppl down to make yourself look good.

god i feel like a prick now, look wat ya made me do

.FF.nEcRoTik
June 13, 2003, 3:50 pm
LOL! ok.. did any1 noticed a lil diference in the m79? (i guess it's just me then.. :/ )

Buzzy DM
June 13, 2003, 5:09 pm
[:-spin][:-propeller][:-bouncy][:-bonc01]Cool new version[:-bouncy]This is how i respond: Some of this may be disturbing ready? [:-bouncy][:-bouncy][:-bonc01][:-eyebrows][:-spin][:-propeller]

xXShavoXx
June 14, 2003, 3:30 am
Raven, shut it. You're arguement is going nowhere, admit it [:P]

I love the new version, all except for the anti-lag system. Fix that, and Soldat is finished IMO. Better netcode = pure joy.

Raven6
June 14, 2003, 8:18 am
I'm lightening up now :) You're right, my post ended up going nowhere. I was trying to disprove watever incubus was pulling outa his ass, but it wasn't something meant to be argued about in the first place. I just don't take well to being condescended upon for no apparent reason :)

I was playing some more rounds today, seeing if i could shine some new light on this whole thing. And I still see problems with the chainsaw. I usually play capture the flag type games because i like the team aspect. In deathmatch, however, the chainsaw doesn't have as big of an effect. And the nature of deathmatch fits well with the chainsaw. The main problem with it is that people are exploiting it to camp clumped spawn points in CTF games. Because it's nearly an instant kill, with a continuous rate of fire and no reload, it becomes unbalanced in that situation. Otherwise, it is fairly easy to counter in one on one combat.

I like the ideas discussed in the other thread about chainsaws, making it a powerup, or changing fire rates.. stuff like that. But obviously there is a big difference in opinion on this subject. I think there should atleast be a way to turn off the chainsaw on a server. At the moment you can only switch off the secondary weapon as a whole, why not be able switch on individual secondaries?

Somewhere else someone said just wait a few weeks and people will stop using it. I don't really agree, just cuz people tend to use what is strongest and most effective. It's like people tending towards deagles, barrets, and m79's.
Thats really what i see the majority of people using nowadays. :)

and anti-lag does need to be fixed :)

-Raven6