( search forums )
Equal???
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
jerka
June 16, 2003, 7:15 pm
in CTF maps, does red and blue base look exactly the same or is it ok if they are different? I'm making a castlemap with two castles (duuh) in it. One red and one blue. The terrain is slithly different though. would you still accept? sorry about the bad structure of this post, kinda tired at the moment

Edge
June 16, 2003, 7:24 pm
Well, yeah. They can be the same, but it's not required. I personally think differences add character. Sounds cool to me. And hey, if you want to make it equal, highlight half of the map and mirror it, then move it to the other side.

EvilLaugh
June 16, 2003, 7:39 pm
Equality is the best thing in Team maps. Also means it's the most playable also.

b00stA
June 16, 2003, 8:12 pm
Equality means you're on the "safe side/part". But you still can do a good job with different team-bases etc.
Depends. Imho.

Bye :)

n/a
June 17, 2003, 4:56 pm
equality is boring.
look, every team has to go two ways. so they will have to go the same ways. logically there is no difference in equal or diffenrent maps.(i'm sure that was wrong english, understand me?)

Edge
June 18, 2003, 5:16 am
My point exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself.

.FF.nEcRoTik
June 18, 2003, 5:55 am
but equal means that both teams have no advantage/disvantage over the other.

n/a
June 18, 2003, 2:53 pm
read my message. both teams have the same way.[}:)]
first think then post

.FF.nEcRoTik
June 18, 2003, 5:04 pm
...in all (or almost) CtF maps provide 2/3 ways that would be the same for each team, but in some maps when the bases are not equal, some parts of the map can make an obstacle to some team which would make the other team have an advantage. get it now?

BManx2000
June 18, 2003, 5:21 pm
If 2 bases are too different, one base might be better than the other (ie. better sniper spots, harder to get to the flag, etc.) so I think equality is the way to go. It doesn't have to be a mirror image, thoough.

sauron_the_deceiver
June 18, 2003, 6:13 pm
Well if you made it so unequal that the arena was sloping downwards to one base, you'd think it was advantageous to the base at the top of the hill, but remember that the teams have to go both ways. So basically it you took a route which made it easy to get to the enemies' base, it'll be harder to return (as long as you don't include one fair and balanced route they can take on the way back - now that would be unfair). You see?

What you can do is bases that look different but overall they are the same. I can't remember the name, but there is a UT (NOT UT2K3) map which is two castles, and the castles are different but the routes are the same both ways. That's how I like my maps.

n/a
June 19, 2003, 11:00 am
well, in one point .ff.necrotik is right. there should be same possibilities for snipers.
but i still think equal ctf-maps are boring. do it like michal (well exept of ctf_voland) and make the maps more diffent.

hope you got it now. else i can't help you.
/piss (on .ff.necrotik, of course)

jerka
June 19, 2003, 11:31 am
Its like an natural terrain (if you dont count the lavapits) with differences i hills and stuff´like that. Got some problems with glitches at the mpoment that might ruin the map totaly. some gaps between polygons and crap like that. I'll upload the map when it's finished sp you cam take a look at it and sugest some corrections.

sauron_the_deceiver
June 19, 2003, 2:06 pm
Cool.