( search forums )
Spawnkilling: Good strategy or bad manners?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
me
June 22, 2003, 2:46 am

I was playing on forum.networkchaos.com and got complaints about my use of spawnkilling in CTF, which I've gotten very good at. Obviously spawnkilling can be a very effective way to preoccuppy the enemy team while the rest of your team captures the flag, but is bad manners?

So I ask: If the other team asks you not to spawnkill in CTF, should you stop?

-me

Tai
June 22, 2003, 3:07 am
*Giggles* I can't believe your assoicating the word "manners" with a cheap tactic in a game. It might be unfair, but it's not "impolite". That's never on the menu for cheap gaming...at least, that's my opionion! So there. :P

me
June 22, 2003, 3:13 am

Let me rephrase then: Is spawnkilling considered "griefing"?

Corpz
June 22, 2003, 3:26 am
spawn killiers are sooo easy to avoid though, you just gotta jump when you spawn then shoot down on them.

You Are Retards
June 22, 2003, 3:27 am
i hate it. don't even ask this question. Dundee said it all about the freakin respawn times that it just pisses us off.

and Nigh Cabage, WHAT A STUFF!!! LOL (How the hell can anyone be BAD at killing completely helpless players?)

Tai
June 22, 2003, 3:34 am
I actually like spawn killing. :)

Yes, I admit it. So there.

dark_skull66
June 22, 2003, 3:34 am
ok i have a couple of thing to say about spawn killing.
i think its ok in its own way and not ok in some.
OK ways-
-just for fun
-a silly joke
-not to be an asshole and make sure the people dont mine "MUCH"

Bad ways-
-In clan matches
-In a serious game
-doing it just to piss ppl off

Thats something from my piece of mind!

muzzmastah
June 22, 2003, 3:48 am
I don't spawn kill that much at all. I think it might be okay to do it maybe once or twice in a game, but not much.

Camping_Carl
June 22, 2003, 5:02 am
can you spawn kill backwords?

snappy10
June 22, 2003, 5:54 am
its ok to spawn kill if its the other team im on but not ok if its me...... that clear it up ok?

Antaheim
June 22, 2003, 12:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by Corpz
spawn killiers are sooo easy to avoid though, you just gotta jump when you spawn then shoot down on them.
Depends on what weapon you got, if you have a barrett or an m79 there isn't much chance of you getting away.... and by the time you've changed to your secondary weapon, your dead [B)].

I don't mind if a person spawn kills once, but if they do it anymore, i get annoyed.

xXShavoXx
June 22, 2003, 3:54 pm
Dunno, last night in Snappy's inf server, as soon as I joined, I got spawnkilled by a chainsawer. So immediately after I respawned, I simply jumped over his head and threw a grenade at his feet. *boom* Not sure if all spawnkillers are that easy to dispose of, but if they are, I don't see what the big problem is.

GaLaXy
June 22, 2003, 4:16 pm
I hates spawn killing! spawn killing is anything for noobs.. and i want to ban all n00b spawn killers...

Tai
June 22, 2003, 5:05 pm
Spawnkilling roxors, and I'm a decent player, unlike them.

SpartacuS4X
June 22, 2003, 7:44 pm
People need to get over the fact that spawnkilling is part of the game. There will always be people who spawnkill, so you might as well just get over it. Eventually they will get killed by an entire team who respawns right next to him.

Mad Frog
June 22, 2003, 7:49 pm
SpawnKillers are making Soldat worse.
If u are n00b and they spawnkill u, u'r in big trouble!

Duke33
June 23, 2003, 1:43 am
In a game, i dont mind much if a guy spawnkills me once, becuase the next time i respawn i kill him [:D]. Honestly, its SO easy to kill spawnkillers. Let us think....one favorite spawnkilling weapon is the chainsaw. CLose range. Observe: half second invinciblity. All you have to do is jump up and toss a nade at them, and they're dead. Simple. If you miss, then just fly up more, toss another nade, and by then if you have barret or m79 then it will be loaded, and then anyone with some aim will be able to kill the spawner. Now, if the spawnkiller was say a sniper, theb you can just search him out and shoot him. Honestly, i fail to see why all you guys say its so bad, because anyone with some skill can kill a spawner pretty easily. Of course, here are some good spawners, and they are harder to kill, but that is the fun of the game. Now, of course i get pissed off when i get killed again and again, but i just live with it and get revenge.

As for me spawnkilling, ill do it sometimes when im really bored, or against some n00bs who i dont really care about. But if im playin a game against guys i either like or are really good, then i dont, cos people lable you as a n00b if you do spawnkill. And thats not good.......

that fuking sniper
June 23, 2003, 2:23 am
In some maps its easy to avoid being spawn killed, but in some maps, such as Voland, the enclosed spawn area in B2B (under the hill spike), it is not very easy to manuver and jump around......

SpartacuS4X
June 23, 2003, 2:32 am
quote:If u are n00b and they spawnkill u, u'r in big trouble!

*shaking in my boots*

morpheus
June 23, 2003, 2:53 am
the problem i've run into with spawn killing, or any killing for that matter, is with the anti lag system. a guy runs at you with a chain saw and kills you even though he's still an inch away. it makes it kinda hard to evade or even make a kill when your perception of your target is off.

fabmanx
June 23, 2003, 5:08 am
Well personally i think spawn killing really shows how bad a player really is especially with the chainsaw but on the other wtf are u supposed to do?Let the opponent spawn and kill you...I mean c'mon u have to kill him...cant just fly away then get shot when he sees you...so sometimes u have to kill them.But doing it repeatedly doing with the damnm chainsaw really does piss another player off especiall in the map ctf_Voland where the guy just goes up where u spawn and starts running around killing all ur players and making the team lose valuable capa So yes it does get annoying but sometimes u have to do it.

sauron_the_deceiver
June 23, 2003, 1:29 pm
If someone does repeat spawnkill get everyone to vote kick him. Problem solved.

Outcast
June 23, 2003, 1:44 pm
spawnkilling for "dude with flag getting away" purposes is nothing but a lame exuse....if you wanna win soem time for the dude so they dont get him...get in the middle of the base and camp for like 10 secs...that's about it. No need for spawnkilling....ITS STUPID AND LAME..... in b2b and voland it's especially stupid since you cant avoid it...well....very hard anyway....especially in b2b...

me
June 23, 2003, 4:56 pm

If spawnkilling wasn't effective, I can see why people might think that it was a n00b tactic with no purpose but to annoy people. However, if you are at an undefended enemy base, with no flag present, it is the most productive use of your time for your team while waiting for a flag. Also, just because unskilled players can spawnkill, doesn't mean that players who spawnkill are unskilled.
People make fun of my original use of the term "bad manners", but the arguements against spawnkilling are mostly arguements that it lacks chivalry, not that it's uneffective or poor CTF team play. But the alternative makes no sense: waiting for the opponent to spawn and get his act together before attacking him is like putting a big "shoot me" sign on in games where barretts and m79s dominate.
I haven't had major problems avoiding spawnkillers myself (by that I mean it's 50/50 against an equally skilled player), and I don't find trying to avoid spawnkillers as annoying. It can be as fun part of the game just as attacking entrenched snipers is. It requires some self-sacrifice, is but satisfying when you do it. And I don't mind waiting 8 secs if I miss the first time.
Much of this can be solved by either Michael by giving the option to extend spawn invulnerability, or by map designers by placing respawn points away from the flags, and higher off the ground.

In the end, I guess I will continue to use the tactic unless:
1. The majority of my team is against it, or
2. The site admin is against it, or
3. The oppostion learns to avoid it properly, and it no longer benifits my team.

Kamikaze_Ninja
June 24, 2003, 4:41 pm
IMO spawnkilling is only bad when the spawnkillers are actually camping in order to kill the ppl spawning its ok when the guy getting the flag throws a nade at the spawners to get to the flag its not like he'd let them spawn and kill him b4 getting close. So its alright in some ways but in others no.

MeshBlorg
June 24, 2003, 5:41 pm
I use all the time

CHAINSAW BABY!

Camping_Carl
June 26, 2003, 12:05 pm
I haven't had major problems avoiding spawnkillers myself (by that I mean it's 50/50 against an equally skilled player), and I don't find trying to avoid spawnkillers as annoying. It can be as fun part of the game just as attacking entrenched snipers is. It requires some self-sacrifice, is but satisfying when you do it. And I don't mind waiting 8 secs if I miss the first time.
Much of this can be solved by either Michael by giving the option to extend spawn invulnerability, or by map designers by placing respawn points away from the flags, and higher off the ground.

KILLRi
June 26, 2003, 3:09 pm
I may be a n00b(2-3 weeks) but i think spawn killing is gr8! i tried it just last night and had succses. there is some talent involved(getting over there,avoiding snipers,etc...) it can also give U a clear shot to get the flag w/o spawn killing.

Duke33
June 26, 2003, 6:55 pm
well, man, how about you get talent from killing people, not from spawn killin. Spawn killing is okay if you do it abit maybe, but if you do it over and over agian then it just pisses people off and make them not like you and despise you. Its not a good feeling. So try not to do it too much. Ya, in passing maybe, or if you waiting for the flag, or wahtever, but i try not to do it OVER andOVER agian....

BruceAlmighty
June 28, 2003, 7:34 am
I hate all who spawn kill especially with mother[:-censored]ing chains. I play soldat alot and this [:-censored] has gotten out of control with this new patch. These noobs think they can rack up points by killing people before they can do anything about it. I say [:-censored] you! If you want to do that [:-censored] then you are a noob with no skill. So [:-censored] YOU!!!!!!!

GF
July 1, 2003, 2:32 pm
they need kills to look good on the scoretable
but when you jump after respawn you can kill every spawnkiller

mikaelgg50
July 1, 2003, 4:49 pm
roxors=???

Kamikaze_Ninja
July 4, 2003, 7:37 am
I hate those freakin chainsaw spawnkillers especially when it s the whole other team and the map is say voland or b2b because its both in a confined space argh it sux......

Exarch
July 5, 2003, 2:33 am
quote:Originally posted by Uchihajeff
An easy way to give spawn killers a harder time is just to lengthen the invincibility time to something like... *thinking* ...2-3 seconds.

Yes! thats exactly what I think needs to be done.. increase the invincibility time to 2 full seconds, that should solve the trouble with chainsaw spawnkillers.

Robby_dital
July 9, 2003, 12:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by Uchihajeff
An easy way to give spawn killers a harder time is just to lengthen the invincibility time to something like... *thinking* ...2-3 seconds.

Wouldn't it be harder to kill players and run with the flag if the invincibility is increased though?

Inzurrection
July 9, 2003, 1:04 pm
chainsaw spawnkilling, or Spawning as i called hatedly.

the only people who do this are looking for a quick score

personally i only do it by accident liek cabbage, or to give the opponent a taste of their own medicine,

inzurrection

Abortion
July 9, 2003, 2:33 pm
I think there is enough invincibility time to launch off and nade the [:-censored] dead, or to at least gtf out of there.

Death Angel
July 9, 2003, 10:40 pm
i hate spawnkillin.all the people do is just sit there runnin back and forth with a chainsaw.when you respawn they're most likely to right under runnin back and forth.it always annoys me.hate spawnkillin.

3rd_account
July 10, 2003, 12:33 am
What stupid people are missing in their pants, they make up for in their enemies base.
Anyhow... There's two things you can do to turn the game around and kick som spawnkiller's ass:

1. Turn every Soldier invicible and invincible for a few seconds after spawning, until the time runs out or he shoots.
2. You know that damn Weapon Menu that comes up a moment after you've died, that can cost you some time if a spawnkiller is at lose. So you should be able to select wether you want the menu to show or not after death.