( search forums )
great bmp as sceneries
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
xav
July 1, 2003, 5:46 pm
Now maps aren't multitextures.

I suppose this isn't possible:

I wonder if it's possible to use big bmp's as sceneries.
And then use these big sceneries making realworld maps.
Filling these sceneries with poligons of transparent textures.

Gordon
July 2, 2003, 4:32 pm
I think that wouldn't work correctly, but multitextures are something probable Michal thougt for the next version.

-GF

SuperKill
July 2, 2003, 4:53 pm
i just noticed that your avatar dude looks like 2 ppl:
1) half life dude...forgot his name.
2) that dude from unreal tournament 2003

xXShavoXx
July 2, 2003, 5:17 pm
I made a sweet map long ago that took place in a garden. It had a huge bmp in the background that was an actual pic of a flower garder and the map blended in with it in a way that made the map look like part of the bmp. The downside to this was that this map was enormous in filesize if you wanted the bmp included. :s

xav
July 2, 2003, 7:12 pm

I would like to download that map.
Perhaps Michel can do that soldat use jpg too.
I think that this can improve very much quality of maps.

b00stA
July 2, 2003, 7:20 pm
Nope xav. I dont think this is a good idea because Bitmaps dont have quality loss (big file size) but JPEGs compression the things so you lose information. Now if you have a picture and, as all of you know, the green stuff is transparent (#00FF00). So.. using the JPEG format the "real" things will be lost and #00FF00 (green) probably will be "lost" i.e. the #00FF00 mixed with the neighbour/next pixel. Result would be that you actually see the green stuff you intended to be transparent.

I hope you get it. Otherwise just ... believe me, it doesnt work! :P

(Huh, maybe there *IS* a way, I just stated what I know..)

xav
July 2, 2003, 7:27 pm

Thanks for information. :-)
Only was an idea.

Tha Doggfather
July 2, 2003, 7:31 pm
lol superkill, yeah it is the dude from half life (does the name Gordon (his nickname) ring a bell?) his full name his Gordon Freeman i think (because he signs with GF).

Gordon
July 2, 2003, 11:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by SuperKill
i just noticed that your avatar dude looks like 2 ppl:
1) half life dude...forgot his name.
2) that dude from unreal tournament 2003

Of course. My nick is from Gordon Freeman, from Half-Life, and when I played UT2003, I saw that model that looks exactly like him but red-haired, and, since I use a different avatar in every forum I am (all of GF) this came on handy.

-GF

Meandor
July 3, 2003, 10:03 am
About the file extension i'd use a gif, 'cause using proper palettes it can be very small in size (only 256 colours, but that's usually enuff) and it doesn't mess up trasparency. pity gif needs some sort of license from the creator if used in a game that costs money (not sure bout that)

xav
July 3, 2003, 2:51 pm

gif is free yet.
Its entrerprise said.