( search forums )
Invisible polygons I didn't place...?!?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
Apro
November 5, 2002, 10:28 am
Ok map gurus... Please help me with this little problem of mine:

I made a map and comleted it. It has nearly the maximum amount of both polygons and scenery and is quite big. While I tried to place the spawning points I noticed that I can't place them to everywhere on the map... Actually just to one corner (upper right) [xx(]. When launching the Soldat program to see what was wrong, I noticed that there seems to be this huge, gigantic & invisible, yet solid, polygon cutting through the map in the angle of 135 degrees, which I certainly didn't create myself. Where did it come from? How do I fix this? The trick is that I can't see it in neither of the editors (MapMaker and EditPro)Plz help as this is the first of my maps that actually looks cool and I would like to share it with everyone [:)].

Here is a screencapture of this mystical polygon. The red guys seem to be jetting, but actually are on the polygon I'm talking about. I chose this screen as it has my self-made bot speaking [:D]...
Download Attachment: [IMAGE] screenshot3.JPG16.39 KB

UPDATE!: I'm beginning to think that this problem has something to do with EditPro's copy/paste/mirror-triangle... Is it possible? Meizi? Can I fix it easily, or is there no way out and my map is ruined? PM me in finnish if its too hard to explain in english (I suppose you are from finland)...

UPDATE 2!: THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED! See the thread bt holdmykidney to see how! But I still would like to know is it Mirroring that caused this? My hypothesis is that it was what lead to the problem. Can you fix it Meizi?

Meitzi
November 5, 2002, 8:44 pm
If someone can send me map (or upload it here) with bug maybe I can find what the problem is.

It look like there is one broken polygon wich cause problem. I think it can't be mirror/flip bug but there can be bug in copy/paste routine.

(nojoo, kyllähä tää englanti just ja just tulee)

ArcWolf
November 25, 2002, 8:17 pm
I think there may be a Bug in the copy paste routine. I copied and pasted a few polys in a map I am making and the copy worked fine, but when I pasted the polys it seemed as though I had copied more then I actually had. For instance, there are 3 polygons beside each other and 2 polygons above these 3 (not touching in anyway), in this example I selected the 3 polygons below and clicked copy, when I clicked pasted the copy duplicated the 3 and also the 2 above polys that I never selected. It only did this once and I have not been able to replicate it.

I have also had the bug he is describing happen to me on large maps. It seems to happen after the save, its almost like there are two sets of coordinates for a polygon. One set tells the game where to display the polygon and the other set tells where to put the "solidness" of the polygon. If those two get out of sync you have a HUGE solid area covering the map. The only way I managed to fix this was to open the official editor and press shift and left click to move the inviso poly, watch the map for polygons that move. IF you see one that moves that?s the polygon that is making the HUGE solid inviso place on the map.

This may have something to do with the textures. You can click a check box to disable texture correction when moved. There could be a bug in that. Its hard to tell, I'm just throwing out ideas here :)