( search forums )
Still like stationary guns?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
R
July 13, 2003, 7:41 pm
Do you still like stationary guns after you tried them out?

I really dont like the unlimited ammo thing

Anybody else still like them or dislike them?

koil
July 13, 2003, 7:47 pm
i VERY hate them.
unlimited ammo? ok
3 shots = kill? ..ok
BUT THIS CRAZY NOISE THAT HE DOING EVRY SINGLE [:-censored]ING SHOT?!?! with that i cant handle..
atleast the one thing that the s.guns did is that now more ppl will defend, though they will defend like stupid, they will still learn to stay at their base..

Cold Fusion
July 13, 2003, 8:00 pm
I still don't like them.

They are WAY too powerful. If you leave them on Inf, I can just about cope with that. Good for the defending side, as attacking was a bit easier.

But on CTF, especially the small levels? That's just asking for trouble. 3 shots should be increased somewhat, if only for you to get close enough to nade them off it.

I've only played on them quickly, but I doubt my opinion will change.

EDIT: Damn typo.

SuperKill
July 13, 2003, 8:06 pm
stationary guns = very bad

bman9
July 13, 2003, 8:07 pm
i tried them, didnt liked its just 2 strong & with ulimited ammo, atleast he there should be a LONG reload & it should do less damage coz its way to strong.

enjoyincubus
July 13, 2003, 8:32 pm
I like them...they're pretty good as far as tactics go.

But most of you don't really think about that stuff, so it doesn't matter to you. Consider this: one grenade can knock a guy off the guns. In the old WWII days, were there stationary guns? Sure. So it just seems right to me to have them. "Take the guns! I'm moving out!" It's just cool to me, especially on maps like ctf_run, where one team can get a big advantage by taking the gun. It also keeps scoring down. Overall, they add more depth to the game. Of course, you can disable them, so no problems for me.

Enjoy

xXShavoXx
July 13, 2003, 8:36 pm
Yeah, they aren't really that overpowered. Me and EI were just playing and we both could easily knock the other off of the guns. I love em (never thought I'd say that)

JayBDey
July 13, 2003, 8:53 pm
I have backed the MG idea since the beginning but these suck! Unlimited ammo is just asking for spam fire. They definitely need some tweaking.

It can be balanced in future versions though, so don?t act like it?s this or nothing.

fabmanx
July 13, 2003, 9:00 pm
STATIONARY GUNS=BAD, VERY BAD

JayBDey
July 13, 2003, 9:05 pm
No, just the way they are now sucks. The idea is great but it was poorly done. It can be fixed later though.

ThaD
July 13, 2003, 9:18 pm
it's good for noobs, just shoot, you don't even have to aim, i just hope there will be no sg at dnagames

koil
July 13, 2003, 9:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by enjoyincubus
I like them...they're pretty good as far as tactics go.
i'm sorry but i dont see the tactic in spam fire and just sit on the gun for the whole match...
quote:
Consider this: one grenade can knock a guy off the guns.
again, i'm sorry but i dont see how a player can shoot nade that close (nade has short range) withount geting hit atleast 3 times..

quote:In the old WWII days, were there stationary guns? Sure.
oh and i guess its relevant to the chainsaw also right?

quote:It's just cool to me, especially on maps like ctf_run, where one team can get a big advantage by taking the gun.
so the game has turned to speed game? which ever team getting faster to the gun will win?

quote:Overall, they add more depth to the game.
if you calling spam fire depth so i guess youre right.

quote: Of course, you can disable them, so no problems for me.

what about the players that doesnt host servers, like me (who just playing on dnagames)?

Kamikaze_Ninja
July 13, 2003, 9:32 pm
I first tried it i was like whoa....... that's not good lol but it's ok in some maps like inf cause red always wins anyways g2g bro gotta use pc for doing essays argh damn wont be on for a while.

Omenalimonadi-
July 13, 2003, 9:37 pm
How about they being destroyable? With few nades they would go "BOOOOM!"

N1nj@
July 13, 2003, 9:54 pm
Omenalimonadi-: tahts a very bad idea man. destoryable. it would be no fun. whats the point of having it if is destoryable.

i say the MG is fine. but it would be MUCH better if the MG has some recoil. like the bullets coming from it sprays like the minigun or worst.

the MG right now shots in like a straight line. and thats way too accurate for a stationary gun.

and i also think that we should have another kind of stationary guns where you can't turns back.

for example when you are playing ctf_kampf. blue team can just go to the red base and use the red base MG and spawn camp/kill. and you all know thats bad.

and last but not least. the damamge it does shouldn't be so high. as koil stated. 3 shots = kill. thats just wrong.

(sorry, i have alot of grammar mistakes. i m in a hurry ;). hope you guys dont mind)

3rd_account
July 13, 2003, 10:31 pm
First of all, bots are to stupid to use stationary guns. They shoot the ground, the walls and I don't know what... exept the enemy.

Anyhow, It's to accurate and powerful.
I've played CS 1.6 for some while now, and there's stationary guns on some maps, but they aren't used that much because they are to weak and got a bad accuraty, but on the other hand they got a higher RPM then our stationary gun. I think that would be a better one.

Oh and it was I that found "- Fixed secondary weapon cheat" :D I got a sweet reward for that.
Just saying.. :P

SuperKill
July 13, 2003, 10:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by JayBDey
I have backed the MG idea since the beginning but these suck! Unlimited ammo is just asking for spam fire. They definitely need some tweaking.

It can be balanced in future versions though, so don?t act like it?s this or nothing.

wow youre an IDIOT

this is kinda like seeing bin laden says "damn i'm sorry for those buildings"
(sorry for THIS compare but i couldnt find any other) ;
[EDIT]

you knew it will be like this retard, why do u regret ? you got what you wanted.
and ps, GUESS WHAT SON ? IT LAGS

eyic
July 13, 2003, 11:09 pm
well they r quite cool "hurries of to update site with latest version"

SuperKill
July 13, 2003, 11:19 pm
holy [:-censored] man you dont even know what ur talking about !!!!@#@!#$@#$
u just said they are cool, then u said youre gonna get 1.1.5 -> WTF
FFS STOP BEING DUMB

JayBDey
July 13, 2003, 11:29 pm
Maybe your game lags, but mine doesn?t. Get a better connection or find server closer to you. You are from Israel yes? If you are I could see how lag would be a problem for you playing on server in the US or Europe, but that just means that Mgs are adding to your already existing lag problem.

I really don?t understand what you?re trying to say, I said they need tweaking. I don?t regret anything. MGs are great, but they still need work.

Also, you seem to be the only one that can?t talk about this in a calm way. Please don?t talk in all caps, and try and be more respectful.

And as always, don?t play maps with MGs, seems simple but you'd be surprised how many people don?t get it.

SuperKill
July 13, 2003, 11:39 pm
you'd be surprised how many people with good servers dont visit this forum and cant see its on soldat.ini
i dont think they'll think "oh yea lets cheackout whats new in soldat.ini !!"
lag problems, i get 140 avarage on dnagames, i dont concider it lag, but the SG does spam and lag, i can quote people if you want.

koil
well jaybday, the last sentece of you actually maked sence...
if it wouldnt rotate..(you may be suprised but most of the players -joining- to server and not creating it).
theres 3 maps with s.guns (kamp run and voland) and its 50% of the maps (correct me if i'm wrong) so the chances are one map withount, one map with.
those chances suck right? well, atleast thats what i think..

Outcast
Its ok as far as i've seen....just on Kampf its a disaster...if you wanna have more then 5% chances of getting to the other side you gotta go up, down is just well...stationary gun wars, even if you get on the other side youll die cuz you just dont get there at full health :|

JayBDey
July 13, 2003, 11:55 pm
They do need work.

sqweek
July 14, 2003, 12:37 am
I'm pretty sure I saw a checkbox for SGs in the config program aswell

BManx2000
July 14, 2003, 1:30 am
I don't see how it would lag more than firing a machine gun. I mean it doesn't even fire as fast as some of the automatics.

JayBDey
July 14, 2003, 2:13 am
It dosn't lag for me.

Social Poison
July 14, 2003, 2:20 am
The stationary guns got implemented without any of the hold back features (overhead... ammo... etc) that were suggested. :-/

Aquarius
July 14, 2003, 2:45 am
I think stationary guns ARE NOT overpowered! Actually, it is quite easy to take them off with m72 LAW or even m79 or grenade.

And they don't change the gameplay much, but that is OK. However, they are not that cool as I thought before 1.5 came.

Exarch
July 14, 2003, 2:50 am
I was thinking there would be more than one type of stationary guns.. maybe 3, the one we have now, one like a minigun that is innacurite, and a rocket launcher one..

The reason why I think they arent getting such a good report is, these maps werent designed for big stationary guns, they are either too small or the angles are all wrong, I think there needs to be a few maps designed specificaly for stationary guns, larger maps with terrain suited to it, like little bunkers that people can duck behind to take cover from the guns.

SuperKill
July 14, 2003, 3:33 am
"..I think there needs to be a few maps designed specificaly for stationary guns.."
hell no ?

dude look at the mess on kampf even on 4v4 its wrong, and you want another types of s.guns ??
rocket launcher ??!!
why not laser turrets and nuke bombs ?

Guil
July 14, 2003, 3:43 am
stationary guns= big sh**

Kamikaze_Ninja
July 14, 2003, 3:55 am
I was damn cant move in kampf remember SK it was crazy!

xXShavoXx
July 14, 2003, 4:32 am
SuperKill, breathe... honestly. You're the type of person that degrades Michal's motivation to update Soldat any more. If I were Michal, I'd want constructed critisisms, not this "I TOLD YOU I WAS RIGHT, OMG THIS SUCKS" bull[:-censored]. Lay off and maybe add an intelligent response. You're one of the older players, act like it.

I personally think the Stationary guns need have a slower rate of fire and limited ammo. Some maps, such as ctf_kampf and ctf_run, don't need them either. Other than that, nicely done Michal. :)

SuperKill
July 14, 2003, 5:20 am
bah
i was mainly pissed at jaybday for supporting this idea, then saying "sg's sucks!!"
..like you didnt knew it will be made too powerfull.

and what u talking about ctf_run ;S

Social Poison
July 14, 2003, 5:24 am
On Run I think it's OK... in fact it's done very well because someone can just drop a nade on your head. I'd like to seep Kampf without it... and perhaps BALANCED. Even in 1.05b Kampf favored red... now that's just more apparent... and is it just me or is Kampf much smaller now too?

eyic
July 14, 2003, 6:07 am
quote:Originally posted by SuperKill
holy [:-censored] man you dont even know what ur talking about !!!!@#@!#$@#$
u just said they are cool, then u said youre gonna get 1.1.5 -> WTF
FFS STOP BEING DUMB

ok ok... sorry ... but i did try the statonary guns out BEFORE i updated my site lol, but im serious Stationary guns r really cool if u know how to stop them.... and the way it looks like, bleh i dont care about the strength i care about the "fun" i eman heck soldat was made for fun and playign wasnt it?

Now dont say that stationary guns ruined the game coz they didnt, they just cool all they need is a few adjustments...

R
July 14, 2003, 6:31 am
i think that they should be taken off of Kampf, i think they are OK in Run but in Kampf, its just too small of a map to have those and i think that red has an advantage in that map

mr_bob
July 14, 2003, 6:36 am
ok i know youll dont want to hear it but oh well i have a few things to say

1 i agree with everything superkill has said expect for him saying sorry to whoever it was (names not important enough to remember)

2 the sgs are stupid and pointless and its just like have a few people just stand around with minis

so thats what i think there was more but i just forgot what i was going to say but i ended up doing something else

JayBDey
July 14, 2003, 7:02 am
bah
i was mainly pissed at jaybday for supporting this idea, then saying "sg's sucks!!"

I'm getting tired of your ignorance. The way MGs are NOW suck, not the idea of them. Are we clear now? They are too powerful now! But it isn?t set in stone, things can be edited and balanced. How hard is that to understand.

I support the idea of them, but THESE suck. As in, they way they are now is not fair or balanced, and I dont like it. They need to change, meaning they need balancing and some tweaking.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

mr_bob
July 14, 2003, 7:21 am
ok just a question

does this game revale around u?

does this game really care what any of of think?

is pleaseing u all micheal is aiming for?

The answer to these questions is NO!!!

so we dont really care if it pleases u or not and if u dont want crap like this from me again just say these guns suck

JayBDey
July 14, 2003, 7:37 am
They do now, but they can be fixed.

And with that, im leaving this topic. It really has been done to death.

RpBixler
July 14, 2003, 7:57 am
<stupid question>where can i try stationary guns at? did i miss an update?</stupid question>

eyic
July 14, 2003, 7:58 am
u probably missed 1.1.5 its out ! lol anyway only some maps have stationary guns

Kamikaze_Ninja
July 14, 2003, 8:30 am
a question some guy said you could destroy them but i dont think it can anyway just to be sure can it be destroyed?

eyic
July 14, 2003, 8:42 am
nope ofcourse it cant :|

koil
July 14, 2003, 10:28 am
quote:Originally posted by eyic
lol anyway only some maps have stationary guns

lol you prolly mean half of the ctf maps right? thats hardly some..
like i said on some post earlier, its 50-50 chance of s.guns . and for the players who HATE them (not jsut them, the idea itself) like me, its really quite bad.
question for the s.guns lovers : lets say you love graneds, i mean realy raely love, use them all the time, and one day they got changed with smoking nades, how you would like that? will you make thread(s) about it? will you tell the creator that his idea suck?
the answer is too clear for me to spell her but i'll do it anyway
the answer is : Y-E-S.

Outcast
July 14, 2003, 11:04 am
quote:Originally posted by mr_bob
ok just a question

does this game revale around u?

does this game really care what any of of think?

is pleaseing u all micheal is aiming for?

The answer to these questions is NO!!!

so we dont really care if it pleases u or not and if u dont want crap like this from me again just say these guns suck

We can state out opinion, and YOU cant stop us.
And it's Michal not Michael.

Cruku
July 14, 2003, 11:42 am
Interesting. The update just came and some people can right away say that stationary guns suck. I was just playing in DNAGAMES, and the people there(including me) had no problems with the stationary guns. One grenade and it is knocked out. If you are so stupid that you ran right towards them, then sure, you will get killed. That is why there always are alternative routes. And I like that the gun shoots straight, it is the only gun that canno't shoot indirect fire(which makes it even mroe vulnerable to grenades...or any gun that can shoot indirect).

Stationary gun versus experienced player(Jump+jetpack+2 grenades)=stationary gun disabled.
Stationary gun versus noob=slaughter(and after that whining in the forums)

SuperKill
July 14, 2003, 2:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by JayBDey
bah

I'm getting tired of your ignorance. The way MGs are NOW suck, not the idea of them. Are we clear now? They are too powerful now! But it isn?t set in stone, things can be edited and balanced. How hard is that to understand.

I support the idea of them, but THESE suck. As in, they way they are now is not fair or balanced, and I dont like it. They need to change, meaning they need balancing and some tweaking.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

i ment, that you knew that it will be made like this (unballanced at all)
damn man are you retarded ?
u need to read posts 6 times before understanding ?

Omenalimonadi-
July 14, 2003, 5:22 pm
quote:
i ment, that you knew that it will be made like this (unballanced at all)
damn man are you retarded ?
u need to read posts 6 times before understanding ?

Errmm..? How could we have known that they would have been made like this?
-------
The one who shoots in st.gun needs to stay still. That means that he/she is easy to aim&kill. But still that st.gun needs some degradation.

Cruku
July 14, 2003, 6:12 pm
What is the point of stationary gun, if it is not powerful? If it is downgraded then it is just like taking a minigun and sitting and shooting.

I say keep the straight shoot line, fast shoot, deadly bullets, but place an ammo limit of 500, with looong reload time.

Aquillion
July 15, 2003, 4:47 pm
I like the stationary miniguns the way they are. They make it harder for people to just dash in and grab the flag without a fight, which IMHO is a good thing, and they encourage more tactical thinking. They aren't as overpowered as some people are claiming, either -- one well-aimed shot with a LAW, M79, or Barret can disable them entirely, and I've never had a problem with knocking an enemy minigunner out of position with a (portable) minigun from the air when I wanted to steal it. You just need to think of newer tactics and stop blindly charging at them.

You also have to realize what a delicate balance these weapons are in. I think a reload time -- any reload time at all -- would be a very bad thing. Remember that you can't move while holding one down; if it ran out of ammo, you would have to abandon it immediately, and there would be a good chance that an attacker would have siezed it by the time it reloaded.

Ditto for damage. If someone could just leap in front of a stationary minigunner with a Barret, M79, or LAW and shoot them without having to worry about dying first, the stationary miniguns would be almost completely useless; and if the minigunner had to abandon it anytime anyone with a one-hit-kill weapon approached them, they would be worse then useless.

(One thing about the stationary miniguns that should be changed, though: Your own weapons should not reload while you're using them. That is silly; being able to shoot while reloading is counterintuitive and gives an advantage to minigunners with long-reloading weapons of their own.)

Duke33
July 16, 2003, 1:24 am
I agree with you on some points. s. guns arents so overpowered as people say. They can be taken out with weapons and theres always alternate routes. I think that they'e pretty good as it is now. Before i thought that there should be a reload time, but now i just thought. How would that work? I mean, any sensible person isnt going to wait for a very long time for the gun to reload after itbeing used up. They'll just get up and go away. I think that there should be an overheat, or jamming system. When you get in a gun, a bar appears on the screen at the bottom. If you fire consitently, then the bar will fill up. Once its full, the gun wont be able to fire for say 10 seconds (a pretty long time in combat). After the 10 seconds it will begin to go down.

NOw that i look over that idea, it seems similar to an ammo system. Maybe you get hurt when the thing overheats, slowly, and so that would make people want to not overheat, and this would make them not just spam and shoot like mad.

To stop people from just jumping out as soon as the gun overheats, i think that maybe once the gun as reached overheating mode, you cannot jump out for 5 seconds, stuck in there. This would also make peple think more, make them not just jump in the gun, fire for abit, then flee as soon as the enenmy gets close. Of course, they can still do that as long as they dont overheat :D

i dunno if the idea makes sense to you, but it makes sense to me...

Kamikaze_Ninja
July 16, 2003, 1:40 am
i just go around them then get them from behind and on the other side if i was the stationary gun user id crouch so as i cant be sniped easily plus makes it slightly harder cause of my invisible head then after they shoot me and they've blown their cover i just shower towards that area.