( search forums )
Bot waypoint problem
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
Psyl3ntShad0w
November 6, 2002, 12:02 am
Well i really tried bot waypointing...i spent over 2hrs and barely got the bots able to get out of their base...and yea...im quite pissed...i kinda give up on pathing this map so if you have legit pathing skills please path this for me.

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] ctf_it.zip13.41 KB

holdmykidney
November 6, 2002, 10:13 am
I'm happy to waypoint your map if I can figure out the problem I am having.

Your map looks good by the way.

holdmykidney

November 7, 2002, 8:07 am
ooooh very professional! [:)]

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 7, 2002, 11:33 pm
thx

holdmykidney
November 8, 2002, 1:23 pm

Alrighty, I've done my best. It doesn't work as well as I'd hope but both teams are capable of making a capture.
It's a pretty hard map, though, don't know that they'd get the chance.

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] ctf_itV2.zip15.24 KB

I don't understand why sometime the bots just decide to use jetpack of their own accord. That's why I was having so much trouble with it.

Well, Psyl3ntShad0w, I hope you're happy with the result. If it doesn't work the way you want I wont be offended if you want to get someone else with more bot experience to have a try. Good luck.

holdmykidney

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 8, 2002, 11:22 pm
thx a ton :)

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 8, 2002, 11:23 pm
just played it...works fine...ill release it w/ some screenshots and credits soon enuff :)

Disco Dan
November 9, 2002, 2:28 am
How nice of you.

zene
November 10, 2002, 4:39 pm
well.. I spent 6 hours for the waypoints on my map ctf_aycaramba and I'm so pissed of because the bots are buggy and god damn stypid :\

fatbooboo1
November 12, 2002, 11:53 pm
how dumb can you guys get i allways do my ways in mins not hours it shocks me how hard it can be for you

CtrlFrk
November 13, 2002, 10:03 am
Americans...
I find that the waypoints often have default values when you place them if youve been connecting previosly. The way i do it is to place all the points before i connect them, and if i need to make any alterations later i double check the altered point and all those connected to it. That seems to work.

holdmykidney
November 13, 2002, 10:07 am
actually the complication occurs when you try to desig a level which requires any kind of bot jetpacking. Levels which just require running and jumping are fairly straightforward to waypoint, but when you introduce the jetpack, it adds a whole level of complexity.
Flying bots do not have a guaranteed trajectory, and placing a waypoint in the air which they are sure to hit is *tricky*. Plus you can never be sure how much jet power a bot has. If they miss a waypoint and use up all of their power, they can be trying to follow a 'fly' order but not be able to, and they are not intelligent enough to work out that they have to wait for it to recharge.

holdmykidney

Spid3r
November 14, 2002, 3:32 am
how do you put in credits anyways?

ArcWolf
November 14, 2002, 5:59 am
You can solve the problem of unsure aiming of jetpack bots but placing a non-solid poly over top of the waypoint and observing in the game if the bot is hitting the poly. Also, it is best to use as few waypoints as possible in a fly waypoint structure. The more waypoints the harder it is to ensure the bot will hit them all. Bots tend to miss waypoints in the middle of a fly waypoint structure and will stop flying for no reason in the middle... making the bots just drop out of the air. Like I've said so many times before, with the current version of the game and the stupidity of the bot ai it is best to design a map around the bot not around the human. IE A bot friendly map and a human only map.

I have pathed well over 30 maps now and still pathing is difficult to do on maps that require complex jetting. So, there is just as much skill involved as luck really. If bots are making it to the destination about 50% of the time on a complex jetting map, I believe that is acceptable. Anything below that and you should try and refine your bot paths a little more. Hopefully all the bugs in the map program will be worked out in the new version. Also, a little better AI for the bots would be nice as well.