( search forums )
Another type of stat gun
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Social Poison
July 15, 2003, 1:45 am
IDK if anything like this has been posted (probably has... but oh well).

How about the addition of a cannon like stationary gun. fairly long reload (slightly higher than M79 or so) and it fires only one shot. This shot doesn't explode or stop if it hits someone, it just goes right through and makes a big explosion when it hits the ground.

This would be a much less of a spam style weapon... plus it'd be hilarous to watch someone blown to little tiny bits from a stat gun that was some distance away.

Kamikaze_Ninja
July 15, 2003, 2:09 am
lol that would be fun but would probably not be implemented.

Social Poison
July 15, 2003, 2:44 am
Why not, I don't see why it'd be that hard. Just copy and modify the current stat gun code.

Kamikaze_Ninja
July 15, 2003, 4:48 am
cause i think ppl are already kinda annoyed of the SG's and a missile piercing through everyone (the question is how much damage when pierced instakill?) and exploding in a enemy base (spawnpoint perhaps) well that's what i think but anyway i like it tho.

fabmanx
July 15, 2003, 5:07 am
Well....i hope theres gonna be some diff stationary guns.

Cr4cK
July 15, 2003, 8:54 am
umm, how about this: delete the current and add that missile statinary gun gun! and what does stat gun mean? status gun?

Aquillion
July 15, 2003, 9:25 am
I think adding new stationary guns would be redundent at this point. I like the current ones, but adding more with a different style of shooting wouldn't really make a huge difference -- they'd still serve the same strategic purpose on a map.

It might be a nice idea for variety eventually, but even the brief the time it would take to implement them would be better spent on entirely new things.

Tha Doggfather
July 15, 2003, 11:22 am
yeah i would like to see this gun insated of the MGs in the new CTF map (Kampf it is right?)

m1nt ch3w
July 15, 2003, 12:28 pm
Kampf is an old map, which was taken out of 1.1.

Tha Doggfather
July 15, 2003, 2:19 pm
yeah i knew that, but its the new CTF map in 1.1.5 right?

Aquillion
July 15, 2003, 3:54 pm
The new Kampf seems more balanced to me. Kampf always used to give a big advantage to Blue, since their base was longer and they could drop into Red's flag very easily; that, I suspect, part of the reason why it was taken out. The miniguns help balance that; Blue's minigun can be more easily stolen and used against them, while Red's can be used to partially cover their base against attacks from above.

The change envisioned here would make it less balanced, giving the advantage back to Blue. You wouldn't really be able to defend Red's base against attacks from above so easily, and you wouldn't be able to turn Blue's minigun against the upper part of their base very well, either.

Social Poison
July 15, 2003, 4:44 pm
you are out of your f*cking mind. The red flag point was much more sunkin in and you had to use most of your jet to get out of there. Blue was a strait shot.

Either way though I've yet to see red lose on that map now :-/

Their turret is in a perfect position whereas blue's is almost completely useless because it's RIGHT in front of a hill. I'd like to see that map streatched back out (like it used to be) and lose the turrets.

Aquillion
July 15, 2003, 5:28 pm
I'm sorry, I meant that it used to give an advantage to blue when played by competant players. Red's base was much tougher to defend, since you had to place someone inside or just above it to have any chance of stopping someone on their way out (stopping people on their way in was right out); both those locations were highly vunerable to attacks from above, and it was tough for people to just leap to the defense of the flag. A skilled blue player with a minigun, shotgun, or similar distracting weapon could easily grab the red flag and be out before the reds even knew what hit them. The blue flag, on the other hand, was deeper inside; even if you used the balcony to attack you'd still have to dash through blue's entire base on the way in and out, and all anyone had to do to keep you in was turn and start firing as you go past. If someone with a minigun, barret, shotgun, or M79 stood on one of the ledges and leapt down to attack you after you dashed into the blue base (and tossed a few mines, too), it was a deathtrap. The Red base was tough, true, but since you had a chance of escaping to the path overhead it was much still easier.

I don't think I'd like to see this map changed. There are enough nearly-symmetrical maps out there already; we don't need another. Having such different sides is what makes Kampf so interesting.

If you really prefer it the old way, though, perhaps someone could make a "CTF_Kampf-Classic" or something similar. That way people who preferred the old one could just find a server that's using it and play there.

sqweek
July 15, 2003, 6:00 pm
Red base is a mofo to get out of 'cos once you grab the flag everyone nade spams you ;)
Also, CH_SHe remade/converted the 1.0.5b maps, check http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=3164

SuperKill
July 15, 2003, 6:13 pm
i find it easier to cap for blue ;P
its really easy to get out of alpha's (red) flag area.
but bravo's (blue) flag area is really small and stuff ;P
-------------------
BUT WTF
you want MORE S.GUNS ?!@

mr_bob
July 15, 2003, 11:25 pm
and either does your and either does mine but i really thing that the sgs were pointless from the beggining and i will never change my mind about them they are stupid

but i really think they mad both maps that they are on unplay able i hate them i have almost stoped playing soldat cuz of the knife being a one hit kill and the sgs the sgs suck big ass