( search forums )
Personal Names?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Frosty
July 23, 2003, 11:19 pm
If I register could I reserve the name 'FROSTY' for only myself?

I see alot of imposters out there.

If this is not an option, perhaps it could be implemented?

frosty

mr_bob
July 23, 2003, 11:26 pm
no u cant and it wont be implamented b/c there are millions of d/ls a day and u can change your name anytime any place i think this is a place for an id system but no one understands

Frosty
July 24, 2003, 8:36 pm
Everquest has a lot more subscribers than Soldat, and all their names are unique.

I would like for some sort of ranking system to be implemented, but this seems impossible without names that are unique to each user.

Mojoman316
July 24, 2003, 9:04 pm
I like Soldat's name system the way it is. You can usually tell imposters by their lack of skill. And plus, seeing 'Soldier320984029734097325 has joined the game' would get annoying.

Frosty
July 24, 2003, 9:06 pm
I disagree.

Several players have been using my name to attack guilds and make arguments with other players.

If I owned my name, then this would not be an issue.

Tweak896
July 24, 2003, 11:45 pm
i would like something implemented like, registered name users get to have their own name, and guests just can only use there name when they get on. If michal does this it will be alot easier to easier to have a buddy list. That would be nice. Like www.cokemusic.com where you register a name but you stil have an option to save it. Like logins, i would rather have to login and have a buddy list than no buudy list with no logon. Post your opinion, maybe if alot of us accepts the idea, michal may add it.

Kamikaze_Ninja
July 24, 2003, 11:45 pm
Har everyone knows my personality on soldat so no one can copy me HARRRR lol

Duke33
July 25, 2003, 12:02 am
In all my time playing soldat ive never seen another person nor heard of another person with the name duke. Try to choose an unusal name that no one would use. A name like KILLER or SHADOW or DA BEST or something retarded like that is obviously going to have multiplies of.

Anyway, im not too sure, but i think that the thing that you suggest would be pretty hard to make. Im not too sure, but a seperate ID for every single player? And then if you make that availible to only registered members then you'd drive away more people. Anyway, i dont think its needed..

TIR_Blade
July 25, 2003, 12:06 am
does ne1 not see that this would be very hard due to the fact that some people play this game offline. Oh wait, do u mean only online reserved names... Im an idiot[:-banghead][:-banghead][:-banghead]

Frosty
July 25, 2003, 12:07 am
I was just in a game with 2 guys in the same clan (1 is a very good player) and they were talking about how people were copying their names intentionally just to give them a bad wrap and compete in clan games to intentionally play badly in order to throw the games!

[}:)]

WE NEED PERSONAL NAMES.

Frosty
July 25, 2003, 12:08 am
yes online games only

Kamikaze_Ninja
July 25, 2003, 1:04 am
how about have a system where you can only have one guy with tthe same name except soldier so no copies except for soldier so we could still be anonymous at least.

Frosty
July 25, 2003, 1:07 am
i like that idea.

juice _ box
July 25, 2003, 1:15 am
heres a good idea frosty, instead of just using plain "FROSTY" use some more characters like [}()FRostY(){] not as tacky but be more creative frosty is a common name. I know a man named frosty, he is a snow man i think you sttole his name you imposter

Frosty
July 25, 2003, 1:28 am
I *AM* FROSTY THE SNOWMAN!

hehe

[}()FRostY(){] is just as easily imitated as FROSTY.

By the way, this issue isn't pressing to me, I just wish It was implemented.

And it if it was I could guarantee you that my brother would register immediately.

R
July 25, 2003, 3:16 am
imposters CAN imitate you based on your name but they CANNOT imitate your attitude/actions. And if a guy just randomly decided to imitate someone they would most likely not think of changing his/her appearance to look like this person and they would not be able to imitate that person either. the ONLY thing that most imitators have is the same name as the person. not same appearance or attitude. thus i dont think that it should be put in because what if someone decides to take someone's name and save it for themselve? if someone took the name R befor i did, that would make me pretty pissed off and i'd have to come up wiht a new name and tell everyone i know, my new name. i think that it is good enough as the system is now

juice _ box
July 25, 2003, 5:04 am
i pissed off some one before and they used the name juice box for a few rounds and tried to make me look like even more of a jackass that i am while playing soldat, but i was easily identified by my skills and wise cracks towards the other juice box.

btw R what servers do u play on?

R
July 25, 2003, 5:41 am
i usually just play on dnagames, but i havent for the past few weeks because of vacation but i usually play on that or himitsukichi games sometimes but not often

fabmanx
July 25, 2003, 6:49 am
Dnagames = good server, i remmeber in the olden days, bout a month ago when me and Superkill had our little fight and we went on ruining each others rep.

juice _ box
July 25, 2003, 7:16 am
lol, zt hell used to be a good server. no one plays on it anymore :(

mat
July 28, 2003, 2:54 am
why the hell aren't you people able to stick to the topic? if u wanna chit-chat, grab a mIRC and flood yourselves out, not the forums.

thanx.

on the other way, It would be a good Ideea the name registering option, but only for players that payed for the game. I think it will make more ppl registering the game, as u could have:

- personal stats via soldat or some web interface,
- a buddy list inside soldat,
- servers only for registered ppl

etc...

It could bring more money to michal :D

Kamikaze_Ninja
July 28, 2003, 3:42 am
That makes a whole heck of a lot of sense than all the previous ones gj mat :-)

Frosty
July 28, 2003, 8:22 pm
I agree.

I like those ideas.

Electro_cyc
July 28, 2003, 8:44 pm
Yeah good idea, but for registered users only.

Frosty
July 28, 2003, 8:48 pm
Yes, to clarify,

I meant for registered users only as well.

Cr4cK
July 28, 2003, 9:10 pm
why dont just spell the name wrong like frotsy frotsy=cool frosty=snowman

gangsta
July 28, 2003, 10:16 pm
You do not own the name FROSTY. EverQuest is different than Soldat. You keep your stats and build them continuously for months or years...a Soldat round lasts five minutes.

This issue is easily compareable to IRC services. DALnet has (or had) NickServ for people to register names and every time you connected it nagged you to "identify" yourself by entering your password. Because of this you could never have a normal name like "John", instead you have to settle for ^John^2001^^ or CoolGuy23 because all the good ones are taken already. Even if they aren't even online you can't use those names. On EFNet, however, there are no services and it isn't too hard to have a normal nick like John connected to the same network as thousands of other people, just as long as its unique to a certain extent. If you've migrated from DALnet to EFnet you may know what a treat having a real nickname is.

If you feel that your nick is too general that others will pick it themselves, then make it unique. Add periods or pipes or whatever bells and whistles you want. If instead you feel that your identity is subject to abuse by other players intended on giving you a bad rep, then that is an issue you need to work out with them.

It would be too much of a waste for Michal to maintain this database of nicknames and a burden for us to enter a password every time just so you can control a nickname you don't even own.