( search forums )
aaargh why me?
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
Tha Doggfather
July 31, 2003, 12:19 pm
am i the only one with this problem?:

sometimes when i try to open a thread, it just begins to load and stops somewhere, leaving me with this, no mather how long i wait:

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] forum.jpg74.98 KB

and i cant go back one page to try again. i just have to shut down my explorer and try again, but sometimes it wont work for 20 times. and this while other threads open in an instant. the pages that wont open dont have lots of pics in it, so its not the speed of my connection (i have 4mbit cable) and the rest of the sites i surf on the interner open normally.

DNA.styx
July 31, 2003, 1:20 pm
nope, not seen the problem you describe. You are right in thinking that it could be caused by images used in that thread (thanks to M$ IE all images are loaded before the page is displayed) but I've checked all the images on that page and can't see any that could be causing problems.

I have noticed the forum giving 'Timeout expired' messages at some times, I think the web server's just having a hard time keep up with the extra load that the Soldat forum's putting on it and could really do with some more memory fired into it.

Anyhow, here's a tip if you visit the forum regularly:

1. open the active topics page
2. right click on any thread you wanna read and select open in new window
3. click back to the active topics page
4. Repeat 2, until you've opened all the threads you want to read
5. Click on the 'Mark all as read' icon [IMAGE] to clear the active page.
6. Start reading through the threads displayed in the new windows

This means that by the time you've started reading the first thread it will have loaded and the other pages will load by the time you've finished the 1st or 2nd one.

Tha Doggfather
July 31, 2003, 1:53 pm
thx for the tips, but they dont load at all, ive waited for 20 minutes!

b00stA
July 31, 2003, 7:24 pm
I always do what DNA.styx just said, it's fast and I like it :)

Anyways.. I think you got something wrong chuck:
M$ Iexplorer doesn't load all the pictures first, it loads the table's content first!
I.e. you have a page without tables but with images, it loads normally.
but if you have images within tables, i.e. first loads the images and then finally displays the table.

That's how I think M$ IE is working, but maybe I'm wrong :P

DNA.styx
July 31, 2003, 8:02 pm
maybe I'm thinking about the textual content of table rather than the pics....

b00stA
July 31, 2003, 8:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by DNA.styx
(thanks to M$ IE all images are loaded before the page is displayed

Argh, I don't care.
Anyways, I sometimes get an Timeout Error but it's pretty rare so I dont mind.

But I never experienced what Doggfather did.

John Wayne
July 31, 2003, 8:17 pm
ok, first off, internet explorer tries to load the document 1st, then comes the images. the document holds the image tags, so it has to load 1st just to get the images.

2nd, what version of windows are you using, and what version of explorer.

3rd, what type processor, and how much memory.

this is usually an easy fix, just need a little more info.

Dark_Noddy
August 1, 2003, 12:44 am
Sorry 2 go a bit off topic Doggfather...

I have Xperienced problems looking like this 1.. It just loades HALF page !!
Ususaly cuts @ nick and rest is like the pic Doggfather has posted... !!

And.. Explorer SUX ASS :D

eyic
August 1, 2003, 4:33 am
im havign same problems when im on capped internet NO MATTER how long i wait it stays the same way as dogg father showed, or it shows only half the page.. somtimes with red and green colours with a weird ass error thingy ill show u guys a screenshot when it happens again :| vewy strange

NightCabbage
August 1, 2003, 9:43 am
yeah it's lke a timeout where the server just goes dead as far as your computer knows lol

like it forgets about you LOL

morpheus
August 2, 2003, 12:29 am
if you think it's just a time out problem, just a simple adjustment to the registry "should" cure it. and, it's pretty simple.

1st, make a new text document
2nd, copy and paste this into it if;

--- you're running 2000 or xp

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000020
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000020

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000020

----- for any 9x or me version copy and paste this

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000010

3rd, close the text doc and rename to browser.reg and make sure that the extension changes from .txt to .reg or it won't work

4th, right click browser.reg and then click "merge" a popup will come up asking if you want to add this info to the registry, just click ok and you're done

5th, restart computer

all this does is make explorer query the server 20 times instead of the default 4 times, and sets up 20 concurrent connections. it works kinda like getright or any other bandwidth accelerator. it makes the browser keep querying until it gets the page downloaded, and "should" speed up the download time in the process.

muzzmastah
August 3, 2003, 2:45 am
Something funny is that this problem happens with my dads M4cintosh titanium G4, but not with my moms w1ndows 98 computer. My dads will stop where doggs screen showed, but will load around half of the page when I click stop. Oddness.