( search forums )
movie makeing help
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Nightmare
August 2, 2003, 1:39 am
i am tryong to find a good program to make personal movies from my play in soldat. i would like to kno the best program, where to get this program, and what i have to do to make this movie. plz help me out here

b00stA
August 2, 2003, 2:12 am
Fraps.
www.Fraps.com
Read the manual, it's a real good explanation.

There also is an instruction on how to reduce the file size of the generated movies..
If you still have problems, ask me :)

Nightmare
August 2, 2003, 3:24 am
ok thanx boosta. and btw ur movies r cool

Nightmare
August 2, 2003, 3:30 am
ok boosta i got the fraps demo is that good? i dont know how to start filming stop filmimg where to go to play and edit it. plz help me

Nightmare
August 2, 2003, 3:31 am
i didnt get instructions

R
August 2, 2003, 4:14 am
try using the *edit* button, and if it came with a readme or a help button click it and it might tell you

M
August 2, 2003, 6:49 am
Fraps????????

Kamikaze_Ninja
August 2, 2003, 7:20 am
ok........ M spamming eh why are you confused is it because of the name and u being confused because of the name maybe ur thinkging Frappucinos lol.

M
August 2, 2003, 10:56 am
I just wonder what kind of movie making is the frap.

Tha Doggfather
August 2, 2003, 1:07 pm
i was wondering too how to make these movies, ill download this program.

"Orange Mocha Frappucino!!" :D i love zoolander

-edit-

does the 2.0.0 version really require 2k or XP, cant i use it with ME?

b00stA
August 2, 2003, 1:50 pm
quote:Fraps is a utility for DirectX and OpenGL games. It can best be described as:
benchmarking software - see framerates on screen and log them to file. Calculate the average framerate between any two points.
screen capture software - take screenshots at the press of a button with files automatically named and timestamped.
movie maker software - realtime recording of your gameplay to high quality AVI video files.

Nightmare you should download the free version 1.9D
http://216.92.96.129/FRAPS19D.EXE
It's not limited and has all the functions you need.

[IMAGE]
Use F9 as your Capturing key. Open Soldat, open Fraps, join a game and press F9: Fraps is now recording. Press F9 again and Fraps stops.
And I repeat.. read the manual, actually I dont have to explain anything because the manual is very good.
Download Attachment: [IMAGE] fraps19.gif11.14 KB

The recorded movies are usually saved to the directory Fraps is in.
Rtfm :|

Nightmare
August 2, 2003, 2:45 pm
ok boosta ill give it a try

Nightmare
August 2, 2003, 3:01 pm
i did a test movie to c if it worked i got the movie but it wont play. do u need to play it a a certain program besides window media player?

BManx2000
August 2, 2003, 3:17 pm
No, the movies are saved in uncompressed avi format...

N1nj@
August 2, 2003, 3:57 pm
how do you compress it?

BManx2000
August 2, 2003, 5:32 pm
Use a free program called VirtualDub. Search it on Google. You'll also need a codec, like divx.

b00stA
August 2, 2003, 6:20 pm
It's all explained in readme damn it.

quote:Why is the AVI movie generated by Fraps so big? How can I reduce the size?

The filesize is big because there isn?t enough time to encode the movie while the game is running. The movie frames are slightly compressed, but still require a large amount of disk space due to the high resolutions. Once you have finished capturing you should convert the saved AVI into one of the popular compressed movie formats such as mpeg or divx. Recommended programs for doing this are tmpgenc (Tsunami Mpeg Encoder), and VirtualDub.

Using VirtualDub is quite easy. To create a compressed version of the AVI follow these steps:

Start VirtualDub
Select File->Open and choose the AVI in the Fraps directory you wish to compress.
Select Video->Compression and choose the codec you wish to compress with (usually divx)
Select File->Save As AVI and specify a filename for the new AVI.
If you have Windows XP you can also use Windows Movie Maker to compress the video files. If you use Windows Movie Maker it's recommended that you keep your Fraps video files at 640x480 or under.

Nightmare: How big is the file you recorded?

N1nj@
August 2, 2003, 6:24 pm
how can you add frames and stuff to it like how b00stA did with the movie he made

Nightmare
August 2, 2003, 8:57 pm
the movie is 2kb. so all i have to do is compress with divx?

Nightmare
August 2, 2003, 9:00 pm
ahh nvm i kno what u meen (i think) divx is what plays it. right? so where i get virtual dub?

BManx2000
August 2, 2003, 9:17 pm
If the movie is 2 kb, then it isn't working. That happened to me in an older version too, but I don't know what you can do about it.

b00stA
August 2, 2003, 9:41 pm
Nightmare, Fraps records the movie in an uncompressed file format which results in very big movies.
Somewhere in the README is an explanation on what to do if your movies are like 2 kb.
And, no DivX is not what you need to play the movies, it's what you need to compress them from like 500mb down to 10mb :)

From the Fraps 1.9 Manual:
quote:My movie is only 2kb and won?t play. What?s wrong?

When the movie capture hasn't worked it's usually because the game is running in 8-bit (256 color) mode. The game has to be running in 16-bit or 32-bit for movies to work. If you still have trouble, try waiting until the game has begun before starting the capture. Sometimes starting recording during the intro/movies can cause problems if the codec used in the film is not recognised by Fraps.
(I *think* your mistake was you pressed F9 too early (press it when you're really playing!))

Ninja: I used Adobe Premiere to edit the movies (transitions, sound etc.).
http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/magic/premiere/win/6.x/pre60to.zip (30days trial..)

You need Virtual Dub if you want to convert the fraps movies into smaller movies (with the codec DivX).
Explanation for this.. in the FRAPS README (and in my post above).
You can get it at www.VirtualDub.org (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdub/VirtualDub-1.5.4.zip?use_mirror=easynews)

BManx2000
August 2, 2003, 10:15 pm
Yeah, what he said. Another thing you need is a good computer. Whenever I use fraps, it lags the game up bad. It seems like fraps gets first pick of the system resources. If fraps doesn't work out, try using camstudio. It gives a crap framerate for me, but at least you can have it encode during capture, and it doesn't lag soldat at all for me. You can download a lossless codec from the website for it, but be sure you use virtualdub to divx it or whatever. Oh yeah, and camstudio also captures sound. And it's free.
http://www.rendersoftware.com/products/camstudio/

N1nj@
August 3, 2003, 12:09 am
thanks all

Nightmare
August 3, 2003, 1:53 am
ok boosta so now i now that divx compresses it but how and can i play it on a windows media player or quick time player application??

Nightmare
August 3, 2003, 1:54 am
ok boosta so now i now that divx compresses it but how and can i play it on a windows media player or quick time player application??

Nightmare
August 3, 2003, 1:55 am

Nightmare
August 3, 2003, 1:56 am

Nightmare
August 3, 2003, 2:12 am
i find the one that Bman gave me works better acept bmane how u make the section it records bigger? and when u play soldat u have to hit the windows key, open program, hit record and thengo back to game?

Nightmare
August 3, 2003, 2:30 am
nvm it makes me slow in game play and all that so i would rather learn the harder one it probly b easier in the long run srry for disappointment Bman.

GlennHumplik
August 3, 2003, 3:07 am
You know you can delete your posts if you by accident happen to post the same thing four times, and you can also edit them.

N1nj@
August 3, 2003, 3:33 am
hmm...i think you going to get banned soon...for doing that

BManx2000
August 3, 2003, 3:56 am
ARGHH! a, uhh, umm... six-thingy post... I don't even know how to say it!

Rule one: never click submit reply more than once.
Rule two: never post twice in a row. use edit.
Okay, do we understand now? And, if camstudio makes soldat run slower... you don't have a hope with fraps. And to make it record a bigger space, click "region" on the menu bar and then click "full screen".

Nightmare
August 3, 2003, 4:07 am
ok
i must have accidently missed that section when i read forum rules. (i was tired)

koil
August 3, 2003, 7:01 pm
nightmare, though i really would like to see you get banned (i really hate spammers), i'll give you advice:
[IMAGE] <-- you see this? try to click on this, if you dont see it, look at 'Posted - date : time' thingy up from your post.
just some friendly advice, kthxbye.
btw, i also have the problem with the 2kb, and i pressed it while in game :/ (on config, the bitrate is set on 16 if it matters).

muzzmastah
August 3, 2003, 8:11 pm
Koil, what version of fraps are you using? I had the same problem as you with 1.9D, but when I tried 1.9A, then it worked (although it did slow down the game to like 2 fps, which is really annoying). I may be wrong with the A-D thing, so try whichever version you're NOT using right now.

also, when I use DivX, VirtualDub doesnt seem to want to let me use it. I think it's because DivX only supports 24- and 32-bit color movies, whereas I run Soldat in 16-bit (my video card only goes up to 24-bit - sh!tty integrated graphics), and you cant run it in 24-bit. Are there any other good encoders out there that I can download?