( search forums )
Infravision powerup.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Aquillion
August 13, 2003, 9:10 pm
There ought to be a powerup that gives you infrared goggles for 60 seconds, tinting your vision red and letting you see opponents who are trying to hide behind things. It would, of course, reveal opponents in preditor mode; with limited LOS (like in realistic mode) it would also let you see through walls.

The usefulness of this powerup might seem limited, but by its very existance it would help balance out camping and hiding, since you wouldn't be able to see who was using it -- people who hide in the bushes would have to be a bit more of a reason to be cautious.

Squal
August 13, 2003, 9:36 pm
wow i think thats a great idea [:D]

Mojoman316
August 13, 2003, 9:44 pm
Yeah, I like this one. 99% support (1% not because I suprise from bushes sometimes. :D)

juice _ box
August 13, 2003, 11:19 pm
if it were a realistic only thing i would love it. 100% of course people could make it not tinted (as i have when there is a powerup) by making the file BACK.bmp all green :)

Haro1121
August 13, 2003, 11:21 pm
wowa
awsome idea im for it 100% good job

koil
August 13, 2003, 11:36 pm
i support this idea but 60 sec is abit too much isnt it?
whats the avrage 'life' for a random soldier? 20 sec?
other then that, its nice idea.

Duke33
August 14, 2003, 12:18 am
Umm...no. Firstly, infrared goggles cant see through hills. I assume that you mean thermal vision, or night vision goggles, and those can see heat through bushes and trees, and maybe really light walls, but not anything else.

Anyway, you can already see campers if you know the spots where they camp and what to look for. Or at the least, they might get you once, but you have any skill then you can get them the second time and make them pay. In my opinion, i think that this would detract from the fun of the game, because its fun to not know for sure where people are, to track them down, look around and really use your eyes.

So, no. 0%. I mean no offense or anything, seriously. Thats just waht i think.

HC_ScubaSteve
August 14, 2003, 1:12 am
lol in clan mathces i play ambush meaning i use the bushes myself lol but i get attacked myself so 75% support

juice _ box
August 14, 2003, 2:02 am
quote:the whole "but that isn't realistic! you can't put that in!" thing is nothing to worry about...it's a game,
ei is the first person to realise this about soldat.

it should be realistic mode only tho :/.

Duke33
August 14, 2003, 5:07 am
The whole 'it isnt realistic' isnt my main argument against it. I was just saying that it would be pretty weird to look through hills.

My main point is that itd detract from the feel of soldat. As i said, not knowing precisly where someone is, finding them, chasing them, all that stuff. With this, you'd see them, shoot them, and move on. It would make the game faster, and with less of the running around and searching, ill give you. But the running around and searching for someone which you cant quite see is one of the best parts...

Nonetheless, if it has to be made, id prefer for it to be made in realistic mode, like jb said.

Mojoman316
August 14, 2003, 5:14 am
Keep in mind that all powerups are optional and can be turned off.

Middlemoor
August 14, 2003, 6:23 am
This would be cool, but really isn't neccessary. Maybe if there was a night map or something that'd justify the coding.

Aquillion
August 14, 2003, 3:53 pm
It wouldn't make any sense for it to be restricted to realistic mode, since, as you noted, it is not realistic; since realistic mode turns off all powerups by definition; and since realistic mode already covers too many affects and ought to be broken up into seperate options.

People who want to turn this off would still have the option of doing so, just like with any other powerup.