( search forums )
problem with names
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
morpheus
August 17, 2003, 7:12 am
i was in a game with some guy called [fef]hahja~ÁdÀÚ~ and every time he made a kill or got killed here's what happened:

[IMAGE]

it pretty much made a lot of the game unplayable, since i couldn't see what was going on a lot of times.

N1nj@
August 18, 2003, 1:36 am
it must just be your video card problem..try updating your driver and see does it work..

mr_bob
August 18, 2003, 11:49 pm
it does the samething with me but with yellow text and i can still see what im doing

morpheus
August 18, 2003, 11:53 pm
i have the newest drivers, and also upgraded to dx 9 and still get it.

NightCabbage
August 19, 2003, 12:38 am
hmm haven't seen that bug since a few versions ago...

And I remember back to 1.0.5b / 1.1.0 (ish) days when I used to get this and bob's problems.

The screen gets covered in font displays, generally pretty distorted.

I'm not sure exactly what it is or what causes it however...

morpheus
August 19, 2003, 12:46 am
well, if you look at the screen shot in top right, the ÁdÀÚ~ of [fef]hahja~ÁdÀÚ~ doesn't show up. and i only get the problem when characters like that (ÁdÀÚ) are in someone's name.

CuBiTuS
August 19, 2003, 5:01 pm
As far as I can see, it's font-related problem. The font used by the program may have problems handling accentuated characters.

Dark_Noddy
August 19, 2003, 8:53 pm
If it only happens with That name Then Its the Font [:-censored] as Morpheus said.. BUT i tried playing Vs. a bot by that name and that worked.. Xept I didnt get the Wierd A and [:-censored] :D If It happens 2 all U play Vs.. Try replacing The Font file..

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] bgothl.zip23.24 KB

NightCabbage
August 20, 2003, 1:45 pm
Yup, that would be the cause.

Tested it out with the name 'NightCabbage ¿âû' in an empty lan game.

Killed myself with nade and it came up with

NightCabbage (nade) [note extra spaces for chars it can't display]
and with a whole heap of crap in the top left corner...

And so, it would appear that Soldat cannot display characters above, say, 128 (out of 256 - in standard 8-bit characters)

Definately needs fix.