( search forums )
miniguner = n00b ?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
koil
August 17, 2003, 10:24 am
well, i 99.9% sure it has been brought up before, but you know me, i'm lazy.
besides i want to hear some answers.
why is minigun is for newbies? is it cuz of the massive amount of bullets? is it because the spray and pray(?) tactic?

i'm for one, cant understand how come a weapon, that needs 2 seconds to warm up, with preety big reload time, and bad accucery (typo) can count as a n00b weapon. its hard to kill with it (cuz of the 2 seconds warm up + big reload time + weak bullets + bad acuccery (i got it right this time?) ).
it seems like the hardest weapon to kill with it (not to use), and a very tactical one (you'll be suprised, theres alot tactics involved with this giant toothbrush).

i guess its the lag thingy that maked him such a n00b gun...
(i consider myself 1337 in minigun [:-witch])

K
August 17, 2003, 10:43 am
It's the only weapon in soldat which has not as headpurpose 'Kill'. It has a strategic value in good hands :)
Like most people know, you can move/fly faster with a minigun AND there is of course the rain of bullets who cause damage.
Two reasons to take the minigun as secondary gun in large-ctf-maps. :)

In other game-modes it seems a quite useless gun for me. But hey, that's the FN minimi too :)

Daimyo
August 17, 2003, 10:53 am
Is there anyone who could explain me how the minimi could became useful?
I mean, steyr/ak/mp are far better mg in medium/close range, and if you want to shoot a lot of bullet for fire-covering purposes the minigun is much better.
It is my fault, or it is a sucking-weapon?
In the older version tough, I used minimi a lot.

Outcast
August 17, 2003, 11:12 am
Minime is the ownage, minigun just sux unless you have a whole team of mg's.

3rd_account
August 17, 2003, 12:22 pm
When I was a newbie in 1.0.3b I always used the Minigun, it had more feeling. But now I go for status and then the more lethal weapons such as Ruger and MP5 come in handy.

TIR_Blade
August 17, 2003, 8:40 pm
Minime is prob my best Mech gun. It's pretty fast and its bullets are very strong. Prob my 4th best weapon.

SuperKill
August 17, 2003, 8:50 pm
minigun is a noob wep cuz it doesnt base on any skills.
it spits random bullets everywhere.
thats why ;P

Squal
August 17, 2003, 10:07 pm
its a noob gun cuz ( not always ) cuz the user ( noob in this example) thinks he has a pretty good wep, altho hell almost never kill.... and him thinking that he can, makes him kind of a noob, cuz, if u were not a noob, u would know u wont kill ( rarely will ) and wont use it....

-my thought..... sue me -

dustin
August 17, 2003, 10:59 pm
i read along time ago (my first round on soldat some 7-8 months ago) that the mini was put for fun/screw-off but got misused, i dont care for it because anyone who uses it lags me (dail-up connection) but it would be fun just to screw off w.

Squal
August 17, 2003, 11:11 pm
i use it to glide [:D] ( hover-like)

HI DUSTIN, its me, flippy

that fuking sniper
August 17, 2003, 11:25 pm
Its called noob gun because its normally used by noobs who dont do enything with it but spray.

eyic
August 17, 2003, 11:38 pm
i agree with tfs , noobs shoose the minigun coz its big and it chucks lots of bullets, but the mp5 is even stronger and smaller, so i suggest noobs use their brains ;)

koil
August 18, 2003, 1:02 am
but you miss my point.
minigun can be the most useful weapon in soldat, it got MANY tactics, such as hold the enemy down till the flag carrier score, or use its recoil to move faster.
other guns are basiclly.. just kills. this one has tactics.

i think the whole n00b theory is based just cuz 90% noobs use it, but that still doesnt make the gun n00b. just the ppl who use it.

therfore i totally agree with k, the people who use it may be noobs, but the gun itself rocks ;)

eyic
August 18, 2003, 1:26 am
yeh itself aint a noob weapon, but u gotta admit its weak [:-censored] even wit all those bullets...

N1nj@
August 18, 2003, 1:26 am
but there is the map abuse stuff with the minigun to think about :)

BManx2000
August 18, 2003, 1:40 am
Yeah, one time a guy used the minigun to boost up to the top of the wall thingy in b2b, and started raining m79 shells and bullet spray down.

K
August 18, 2003, 1:49 am
I don't know if it's abuse or use of the map (the minigun-thing in B2B). You must be reasonable, if it was not the intention you're able to reach there it should be changed in earlier soldat versions.

BMF
August 18, 2003, 3:36 am
The answer to the question - YES

And here is WHY:
Everything in this game is based on REACTION. A person that has better reflexes has the first shot advantage. Snipers and m79 users kill with their first shot. What good can minigun be, if it takes TWO FREAKING SECONDS to warm up??

LinK
August 18, 2003, 4:43 am
the fact is... imo, its not a n00b gun... the PROBLEM is that a bunch of n00bs use it the wrong way... it can be used conservatively and just like the ak or aug... if you use it right you couldnt notice the difference... the thing that makes it a n00b gun to most people is that it can be used the wrong way... the other guns are fine because there really is no wrong way to use them... and when there is a wrong way to use a gun, there is someone to call it a n00b gun... for example... people say barrets are n00b guns... well, thats because people spend 20 minutes and dont move from a prone position... get my drift?

BMF
August 18, 2003, 5:14 am
you cant spend 20 min in a prone position, because i will kill you

koil
August 18, 2003, 5:42 am
i want to see that in kampf when blue are the campers.................................. (wow i maked it sound so dramatic)

AerialAssault
August 18, 2003, 9:33 pm
minigun kills in like 1 second at point blank

sanity
August 22, 2003, 7:05 am
wtf? i think barret/m79 kill a dood quicker than minigun at point blank... about 10 times quicker lol. anyways i use the mini sometimes if my lag is too high and ive found the only people that call it a n00b weapon are those who dont know how to defend against it.

blan
August 22, 2003, 7:37 am
what good is a gun that proppels you away from the target?

if your target in running one way and your gun is pushing you the other way, it makes for a lame weapon. 'nuff said

Thats why I call it lame, not n00bish (unless you are acting that way). If you kill people with it its because they ignore you while they go after someone with a REAL weapon and you finally get them after 10 seconds of shooting at their back. You cant persue with it for [:-censored], so its just LAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Not to mention exploiting map bugs with it

NuZZ
August 22, 2003, 8:01 am
... You people do relise that a Minigun is totaly different than what it is in this game? Do you not!? Minigun shoots kinda like in GTA Vice City, and is very effective when killing fast. Need 2 increase bullet number per seconed and less rapidness when crouched.!! Its a fukin noob ass wep in this game. By far, but is useful in CTF. ( I use berret/m79 and Eagles/ruger)