August 20, 2003, 1:40 pm
time to change dnagames server's pass again
there's just too much noobies laggin' and cheatin' around:/

Tha Doggfather
August 20, 2003, 1:45 pm
i agree

Topi
August 20, 2003, 2:01 pm
Yeah, There seems to be n00bs then there was a few weeks ago.

Outcast
August 20, 2003, 2:17 pm
That cheater is cool to play 2on2, hes a challenge :)

Chaosmongler
August 20, 2003, 2:36 pm
What is the point of changing the pass?

They'll just look here - again - and get the pass, and it will be the same thing.

*shrug*

N1nj@
August 20, 2003, 2:52 pm
cheater? there are cheaters in soldat again?

and i agree to change the pass again.

koil
August 20, 2003, 3:13 pm
hahaha the speedhack is confusing me like hell rofl
and yes, i dont see why posting a new pswd will change anything, its just a matter of time till 'they' will come back.

Ymies
August 20, 2003, 3:40 pm
when they'll come back, then we'll change it again...

DNA.styx
August 20, 2003, 3:42 pm
Naw, this has been gone through a couple of times now my post from last week still stands:

---copy/paste---
the main issue I can see being raised is that the dnagames server is getting more and more popular, with the popularity comes players of all types and abilities and without active playing admins this can get out of hand. While our server is online for the benefit of all players I can understand what it's like to being trying to play a game while the server have idlers or new players asking questions all the time.

So, what to do?

Option 1.
Keep the server passworded but only give the password to selected members (a guest list?) and change the password regularly.

Option 2.
Create a second dnagames server for 'experts' and leave the other one for 'newbies'. The newbie one without a password the other with a password that's only given out to players on the 'guest list'.

Option 3.
Erm...not sure I have a third one. Suggestions?

All the options so far have issues:

1. Where do I draw the line with who gets the password and who doesn't? I've not played Soldat for many weeks (perhaps even months now) so there are many good, reliable Soldat players about who's names I'm not familiar with. How do I tell them apart from N00bie McNewguy (or do i even want to get involved with the hassle of people coming to me to ask for the sever password via IRC, IM, forum etc)

2. How do i combat password leakage? If an undesirable player gets the server password, what do we do? Kick them, ban them? What if this new players sh1t hot and plays by the rules etc do they still get banned/kicked since they are not on the ' guest list'?

3. If I set up a second server then I would have to reduce the player limit. Soldat sucks as much bandwidth as the client requests, a 10 player Soldat server takes much more bandwidth than a 20 player CounterStrike player (UTV Internet) is only allocated a limited amount of bandwidth to it, if it uses more that what I have been verbally allowed I've got to justify it, either because it's being using by paying UTV Internet customers or I get a kick in the balls from my boss and have to cut back. So if we have two servers would they still be as playable with say 3vs3 or 4vs4?

4. Back to the subject of the use of a 'guest list'. How could it be managed?
Do I only give the password to forum members who have over X numbers of posts? - Spammers get a good server to play on, [:-yuck]
Do I only allow players in clans that are known to me? - see my previous comment on my lack of activity in online Soldat play at the moment.
Do I charge a nominal fee, say $1 per month ($3 per month for clans), moneys from this would go back into the servers: more memory, pay my boss for more bandwidth and increase the player limit? - Smells like Pay-to-Play, which I, as a gamer, don't like.

Discuss.

Back to the subject of admins, yes it would be a good idea to have a couple of active players with remote access to kick players as needed, I always planned the forum moderators to this job, but none of them have ever contacted me about it. I am always available IRC, IM, etc to kick players as needed (I have direct access from home to the server console to do it from there). I would be happy(ish - no server admin likes sharing his power [:D]) to leave it to the community as to who gets these admin powers.

Hercule Poirot
August 20, 2003, 3:56 pm
i'm very active in dnagames i could be admin but i get too easily ping kicked so... nvm :(

3rd_account
August 20, 2003, 5:24 pm
ow bouut only ive out te paword to people who ha been member in oldatforum for x time and ot x post per day+

(orry or my spellin, i a draught and my winow knocked over my tereo wich tipped the TV on the keyboard)

Cookie.
August 20, 2003, 5:33 pm
ay guest list sounds good but make sure im on it :D

Psyl3ntShad0w
August 20, 2003, 5:54 pm
hmm...i would help remote admin if i could...time constraints have made it difficult to even play soldat... =/

N1nj@
August 20, 2003, 6:01 pm
i could help remote admin too if dna.styx lets me...

sauron_the_deceiver
August 20, 2003, 7:31 pm
1) I think the admins should be the active clan leaders (well, the major clans like TRA and all)

2) Ymies: DNAgames is cool because it doesn't have preferences. It runs the basic Soldat game - all weapons = includes S guns

blan
August 20, 2003, 7:36 pm
Take them off...,

BTW, if you only give the password to high posters it would only encourage a sprout in the number of spammers in the board.

If you only give the password to certain members you can guarantee they will give it to other members, for whichever reason it might be. I would not prohibit this, I would encourage it. This way it would be more of a private circle of those members who know the password and they can share it to those they deem worthy.

And remote admins seem like a good idea. I personally know more than a handfull of player who play at dnagames all the time, and other players who ONLY play there.

Hitman
August 20, 2003, 7:48 pm
I dont play on the DNAServer but why don't you just Pm people the password, so it won't be displayed here in the forum or e-mail it to them.

DNA.styx
August 20, 2003, 8:15 pm
(posts about SG deleted)

that fuking sniper
August 20, 2003, 8:41 pm
I say gather up all the names of those who use "speed hacks" and ban their IP?

DNA.styx
August 20, 2003, 8:42 pm
have banned 5 so far from server and forum.

Enik
August 20, 2003, 9:57 pm
Remote admins could work out nice, some players i see a lot within dna games including myself. Its the only server i really play on, and when i come online at night, its full already, full with 5 noobs and 5 others. The noobs should be gone. Giving the pass to the clanleaders could be a nice try.

Outcast
August 20, 2003, 11:55 pm
Soo....what if some1 called Outcast comes cheating, i get banned? lol!

TIR_Blade
August 21, 2003, 12:53 am
O i have an idea that COULD work. Well y don't u IM the clan leaders of clan and tell them the pass. Then they tell their members. BUT ONLY THEIR MEMBERS!!! it could work but sooner or later the pass would leak. O and also make some clan leaders admins. Only those that play there and are super active :D(cough...me....cough) no seriusly i play there every single day so i would do a pretty dam good job. Also im not an ass and pretty mature so... :D

O and about skwid being kicked, nobody actually said he cheated i don't think. Psycho(clannie and friend) was kicked there while playing on one of my computers. He was banned for cheating which was complete crap. It was a while ago but still.

N1nj@
August 21, 2003, 2:54 am
why only clan leaders and poeple that are in clans get it....

toadsMoke
August 21, 2003, 4:22 am
i would be a remote admin for the server, but i dont believe that i have the time to dedicate to that. as it is, i allocate an hour [or however long it takes] to read through the postings each night before bed, but any other Soldat oriented activity during the day is too sporadic to keep a consistant regulation over the server's needs.

Having said that, when September decides to finally arrive [god damn it, hurry up!], and I will be back at school, I will have much more time to dedicate to maintaining a quality server. I believe that I will have the time fulfill the responsibilities of an active remote administrator. But also, between classes, and the run-of-the-mill activities, I will also be able to maintain the same level of passive regulation, like that of which styx spoke of above, while I am not in-game.

Camping_Carl
August 21, 2003, 10:07 am
heh i could easly i am only on late at night tho and sometimes in the day haha but dna hates me any way :p

NightCabbage
August 21, 2003, 10:29 am
The server logs your IP.

If that IP gets banned, you get banned.

Not just coz of ur name =)

sanity
August 22, 2003, 6:47 am
aye nc [:P]

i dont get the banning ips... i mean 90% of people have dynamic ips. all you gotta do is dc then reconnect and u can join the serv. woah thats hard. lol

blan
August 22, 2003, 7:42 am
quote:Originally posted by sanity
aye nc [:P]

i dont get the banning ips... i mean 90% of people have dynamic ips. all you gotta do is dc then reconnect and u can join the serv. woah thats hard. lol

hell no, most soldat players have static ip's

JayBDey
August 22, 2003, 7:58 am
Even if you have a static IP, if I disconnect my modem (power off) and reconnect I get a new one. That?s not hard.

palloco
August 22, 2003, 8:28 am
"Even if you have a static IP, if I disconnect my modem (power off) and reconnect I get a new one"
Then you have a dynamic IP

sanity
August 22, 2003, 8:39 am
Actually id say most people playing soldat have dialup blan (majority pings i see are 200+). Anywayz even some broadband users have a dynamic IP... all they have to do is what JayBDey said and alot of cable/dsl can change IPs. If this doesnt work advanced users can just disable the ISP from automatically assigning them an IP (disable DHCP) and key in a new one manually, even if their IP is supposed to be static! It sounds difficult but actually its quite easy (ive done it before), the only problem being you are going against your ISPs terms and conditions. But i dont think anyone gives a [:-censored] about that. lol [:P]

CbbLe
August 22, 2003, 12:01 pm
I can be a remote admin if u like me too...I always play at DNAgames every evening/night and im also not a moron who is kicking ppl just for fun.

Optik
August 22, 2003, 3:02 pm
well i could help out on the remote admin, i used to also when ardaen had his remote admin set up, anyways S:S is back so i'll now spent more time on soldat so i could help out no prob...

Ymies
August 22, 2003, 7:12 pm
what if we settle up a poll and everybody votes who should be the remote admin...or? if it's not a good idea, make Cbble a remote admin...:P

DNA.styx
August 22, 2003, 7:29 pm
If the remote admin prog. still works I'll use that myself to look after the server :)

blan
August 22, 2003, 11:44 pm
quote:Originally posted by sanity
Actually id say most people playing soldat have dialup blan (majority pings i see are 200+). Anywayz even some broadband users have a dynamic IP... all they have to do is what JayBDey said and alot of cable/dsl can change IPs. If this doesnt work advanced users can just disable the ISP from automatically assigning them an IP (disable DHCP) and key in a new one manually, even if their IP is supposed to be static! It sounds difficult but actually its quite easy (ive done it before), the only problem being you are going against your ISPs terms and conditions. But i dont think anyone gives a [:-censored] about that. lol [:P]

Well, what I meant to say is that most soldat players who are actually qualified to be admins at dnagames have a broadband connection and a static ip.
Sure, you can get a new IP by unplugging your modem but WhyTF would you do that without a reason? Do you all unplug your modem everytime you disconnect? Nooooo...

But this is just my opinion...

JayBDey
August 23, 2003, 1:16 am
My IP should be static but I can change it whenever I want. When my PC is off, the modem and my router stay on so I usually keep my IP address. But when I reconnect I get a new one. This isn?t the same as a dynamic IP where it changes even if you don?t power down the modem and then reconnect

Ymies
August 29, 2003, 10:04 pm
damn STYX!! now I'm really getting pissed off by those F****** noob laggers!! I can't soon play the whole game anymore if u don't change the freakin' pass!!

N1nj@
August 29, 2003, 10:49 pm
what happen to the remote admins stuff?

who is it going to be?

BMF
August 30, 2003, 3:42 am
change the pass

Dark_Noddy
August 30, 2003, 10:34 am
Indeed ! hehe... I think We should have aWeekly Passchange With Notification 2 all on a list... If Ure good and dont lagg U'll be added. If Ure in A clan U'll be added Automaticly, BUT IF U LAGG or SuX more thatn 2 Games U'll be removed ! But htat MO.... Would be kinda hard 2 do anyways....

Tweak896
August 31, 2003, 3:13 am
i think that a guest list sounds awesome. Like get people who want to sign up and have some people say if they are noob.

LinK
September 2, 2003, 8:03 pm
hmmmm... well i would say that most of the "experts" know each other... so only give it to a few and have them spread the word to the others they know... i believe that it shouldnt only be clans, though... this is because a lot of good players aren't in clans...