( search forums )
Star Hunting is a No No.
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
toadsMoke
August 21, 2003, 6:18 am
Definition

The Soldat Forums have been afflicted by this evil disease for a little too long. I have decided to start punishing those that have been aiding in the spread of this filth.

Here are three excellent examples:

Example 1
Example 2
Exmaple 3

Make sure that your replies are adding to the on-going discussion, not just wasting space and you will never have a problem.

First offense: -50 Posts
Second offense: -100 Posts
Third offense: -250 Posts
Forth offense: -All Posts, muppet title and never-increasing post count

Star Hunting is innately evil. Don't do it.

Outcast
August 21, 2003, 7:26 am
coo000ooool

NightCabbage
August 21, 2003, 8:42 am
he says, spammingly ;)

lol outy

and I like the muppet title, heh, amusing :P

Camping_Carl
August 21, 2003, 9:49 am
Fine with me I dont have many posts any way i just post in the bash pit :p also those examples? can you explain whats sooo star hunting about them?

NightCabbage
August 21, 2003, 11:09 am
"adding to the on-going discussion, not just wasting space"

lol, I would hardly say that:

Is a worthy post ;)

b00stA
August 21, 2003, 11:40 am
CC: "Make sure that your replies are adding to the on-going discussion, not just wasting space". The examples do not add to the discussion and they do not help ANYBODY.

Thanks toadsMoke, I hope this helps. There are many more star hunting-like posts in here but I guess it's just me being too strict.
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=6665#71191
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=6667#70976

Cr4cK
August 21, 2003, 2:54 pm
umm, guys... cant the forum owner add a thing that u must type... like... 15 letters before u can reply? so it wont just be: no way

TheKnightoftheMare
August 21, 2003, 3:07 pm
check your PM toad.

sauron_the_deceiver
August 21, 2003, 3:38 pm
Hey guys...I think Cr4ck actually said something useful...maybe forums COULD have a minimum words limit to posts. I'm sure there is a Snitz Forum mod flying around for this function that Styx could install if he liked the idea...

However, this discussion ain't for this forum.

Dark_Noddy
August 21, 2003, 4:06 pm
Ummm... That I dissagree on... Lets say they make the limit 20 char.:

".........LOL........." <-- Thats 21 Char.. So If U get a char limit ppl prolly just would use more dotts and [:-censored] so it would make the limit !
It is a Good Idea Tho.. If It could work propperly

Cookie.
August 21, 2003, 4:10 pm
hmmmm i like cracks idea i think it would help but i think like 50 characters would be better or something like that

Squal
August 21, 2003, 4:52 pm
but, if the posters question is like:<for example>more hats in the game, what do u think?

are u supposed to put on a whole story about hats and why u like it or not?

b00stA
August 21, 2003, 6:40 pm
Squal: The poster should post his own opinion, too.

All in all.. I don't like the idea. Some people just reply with a short URL or spammers are able to make 2 sentences spam, too, so I guess it wouldn't really work.

Frosty
August 21, 2003, 7:09 pm
*deleted*

N1nj@
August 21, 2003, 11:23 pm
so does that count as an example of Star Hunting? *points above*

thats like off the topic right? i mean, he is talkin about flame grenades...

toadsMoke
August 21, 2003, 11:24 pm
Frosty, it is not BS. If you want flame grenades, add a topic saying that. Don't just blurt it out in the middle of another thread.

Frosty
August 21, 2003, 11:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by toadsMoke

Forth offense: -All Posts, muppet title and never-increasing post count

Can I have this please?

NightCabbage
August 22, 2003, 12:56 am
If ur not careful... :P

Or maybe we'll make up a cruel name for you :) muhahahahahaha....

Social Poison
August 22, 2003, 1:08 am
I find star hunting to be a jugdement call. If you were to nail SK for that offence and that was an isoldated incident, I'd say you're being far to strict on the rules. You should only punish people who are "repeat offenders" so to speak.

Cookie.
August 22, 2003, 4:45 am
yes muppet title would be cool or something like lieutenant muppet lol and i agree with social poison only repeat offenders should be punished and they should have a fair trial as well with camping carl as the judge :D

Camping_Carl
August 22, 2003, 5:40 am
I think its dumb to have stars in the first place they are just stars do they mean any thing not really only the blue ones that means your important.

Duke33
August 22, 2003, 6:42 am
Well, stars are just a way of keeping count. There is no point in posting JUST TO GET THEM, but if you try to contribute, present good points (Post with a PURPOSE....hey, good slogan) and you get stars from that, then its okay i guess. So keep em.

By the way, i would think that they should have two warnings, and then the post deduction system suggested starts. Toad could have a list of people and what offences they are at. It would be good, because sometimes people spam by accident.

sanity
August 22, 2003, 6:52 am
*pets his stars*

aye boyz im back again until the forum n00bs piss me off [:P]

(dont you love those off-topic posts [:D])

eyic
August 22, 2003, 8:20 am
im confused, why is there such thing as star huntign anyway? if this forum doesnt want star huntign then remove the stars, the stars arnt important, i mean heck i dont post so i gain more posts i post so that i can be part of the active community :)

so what ya'll say lets just forget all this star huntign [:-censored] and pretend the stars arnt there, i mean heck they dont seem to mean anythign to me :)

palloco
August 22, 2003, 8:39 am
I think there is actually no problem with the stars. Had anyone been banned for this?
The problem will come if you decide that only people with an amount of posts can know dnagames password. Then you will see several players posting as much as they can even if the message or the thread is a nonsense (I include myself). Some will do it in a way you cannot say it is spam and others will not care about that.

NightCabbage
August 22, 2003, 9:49 am
Well, while people don't get banned, many have had punishments, such as 50 posts removed from their count.

And no, there is no intention to limit the entry to the dnagames server to those with mass post counts.

ThaD
August 22, 2003, 11:03 am
no stars no problem, as simple as it is...

Frosty
August 22, 2003, 4:33 pm
yes please.

no stars.

and i wasn't kidding when i said i wanted a never increasing post count.

make that happen please.

thanks

sanity
August 26, 2003, 9:35 am
nc ur a moderator? whos cock did you have to suck to get that? let me guess... strikers. lol [:P]

NightCabbage
August 26, 2003, 11:48 am
har. har.

lol

nah I got nominated to be the bugs/help mod :)

So I said yes ;)

oh and san I still don't see you round on inode much dude (the last time I did you had a diff name lol) how often do you go on?

sanity
August 28, 2003, 4:47 am
i get on intern00b when it lets me on man... for some reason it isnt letting some people join lately (firewall problems perhaps?). i just played on an american server with a fluctuating ~500-600 ping, and still beat =wt= and oSoK haha [:P]. that .bot clan dood aint too bad tho:

[IMAGE]

By the way nice screenshot for only 52k aye?

wormdundee
August 28, 2003, 5:42 am
well, you just have to turn down lossy compression for jpgs

NightCabbage
August 28, 2003, 2:24 pm
lol sanity - I played on that server too with my l33t 400-500 ping too! :)

And everyone else had 200ish pings...

And Nice Guy With A Gun was there with his 200ish ping... he beat me but I kept coming second (well I won once :P)

poor scorp and subby roflmao

Mossy
August 31, 2003, 7:19 pm
What's the point of stars anyway - they just promote starhunting... If a person want's to know the others rank just look at their # of posts...

muzzmastah
August 31, 2003, 9:44 pm
GUESS WHAT EVERYBODY? I JUST SAW STYX DOUBLE POST =D
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=6838&whichpage=2

BeTeL
September 7, 2003, 10:19 pm
maybe he saw the second thing after he whrited the first... its much easier whriting a new one the editing the last

Cloudwalker
October 1, 2003, 3:14 am
pretty much this whole thread has been "star hunting", I didn't even know what the stars were for or notice them at all until I read this thread, good for you, you ahve stars beside your name, I don't respect you anymore. hey, come to think of it, this micht be a starhunting post too! arg now I can't post for fear that it will be called one! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggg!!!!!

have fun!

muzzmastah
October 3, 2003, 9:39 pm
ok whatever CW... pretty pointless post AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA XD

cat92
October 8, 2003, 7:22 am
*hunts a star*

:P

You know you love us.

toadsMoke
October 10, 2003, 1:46 am
Well, think of star hunting something like this:

When you see that spot of yellow snow, you think "should I eat that yellow snow? ....or continue on just a little while longer to find that incredibly fresh newly fallen delicious white snow?"
Like everyone, I know you'll hesitate, think twice, maybe even three times, about it. But, after reflecting on this problem for a long while, you'll realize: I really should not eat that yellow snow.

for those of you that learn more effectively with pictures...
[IMAGE]

cat92
October 10, 2003, 5:30 am
Um. Wow? Thats taking the analogy a bit far, but whatever floats your boat...

Flanagan
October 21, 2003, 2:35 am
Speaking as a former mod here, I feel pity for those who are currently mods trying to make the
forums best for the whole community, and promote the development of Soldat.

I say remove stars, remove post indicators at the bottom of the posts, that way, the only way to get
recognised is to be around for a long time.

PS.Please don't make your post resolution more than 800*600 so you don't have to scroll across to see the whole message.

eyic
October 21, 2003, 8:01 am
I agree with flanagan, the post count on the bottom should be removed, and remove the stars as well, and replace the post count with little stars, and ever star = 1 month, it would let people know ur important and u've been here for a while, and your not a n00b :) lol

and you cant hunt month stars, coz months just go by....
and when 12 little stars haave been made, they would turn to one star under your name...
then the lil stars start forming under your signature again...

Frosty
October 21, 2003, 7:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by Flanagan
Speaking as a former mod here, I feel pity for those who are currently mods trying to make the
forums best for the whole community, and promote the development of Soldat.

I say remove stars, remove post indicators at the bottom of the posts, that way, the only way to get
recognised is to be around for a long time.

PS.Please don't make your post resolution more than 800*600 so you don't have to scroll across to see the whole message.

I agree, all the other boards I post on have already removed post counts.

Please remove them here.

NightCabbage
October 22, 2003, 3:32 am
The stars are there give give newcomers an idea of a member's standing in the community.

Theoretically (hah...) the more posts someone has, the more knowledgeable they shoulld rightfully be.

However, this is far from the case, as we are well aware of.

Perhaps a measure, such as eyic suggested, which is dependant on time rather than post count would be more applicable.

But then, someone could sign up and have 2 posts, but 7 months later would be a forum veteran.

All options are problematic, I'm sure you see.

ThaD
October 22, 2003, 8:42 am
i agree with Flanagan but as styx said stars remain and i doubt he will change his mind :|

Frosty
October 22, 2003, 7:29 pm
I think stars AND post counts should be removed.

Posters should build up their reputation through association.

gi.joe
October 23, 2003, 5:02 am
erm yeah that is kinda hard with about 10,000 soldatters out there.. give or take a few hundred.....

LumpyFerret
October 23, 2003, 5:28 am
i think its kinda stupid how in the lounge post count is increased..
where most threads are just spam fests anyhow.

ThaD
October 23, 2003, 8:03 am
very true Lumpy, especially Soldat bar, things in Lounge have rarely st common with Soldat...

y0da
October 23, 2003, 2:31 pm
uhhh... But when i send A PM, i don't get a post point, wright?

NightCabbage
October 24, 2003, 9:53 am
riiiiiiight.........

lol

gi.joe
October 25, 2003, 6:51 am
who wd honestly waste their time JUST TO GET A FEW FREAKING STARS!!

Flanagan
October 26, 2003, 7:55 pm
Ninj@, M, several others.

gi.joe
October 27, 2003, 6:45 am
hahah, thats eats... im sure they post cus thy want to... not just to gain stars... right?

EDIT: so at what stages do you get your new stars?
eg. from one yellow- 2 orange - 3 red -4 blue - whatever i dont know?

what are the cap limits when u get your new stars?

Wasp_
December 4, 2003, 6:42 pm
Nope. The stars are pretty useless imo. Reputation comes from good and informative posts. At least I haven't been checking anyones stars or ranks systematically just to categorize them into people "Below" me or "Better" than me (Actually I rarely categorize anyone). That's like: "Mind showing me your wallet?" "Yes" "HAHA! You have two pizza-coupons less than me! What a jerk you are" (or something...)

?
December 5, 2003, 12:42 am
may the stars should jsut be measured by time otehr than posts, it would cause less spam, and it would keep teh ranks for "newbs" to see the ranks of people in teh forums

morpheus
December 5, 2003, 1:10 am
quite possibly if a voting system were set up, it would reduce the amount of spam posts.

let's say you have topic about your fav gun. someone comes in and posts something like "who cares". naturally, that has no relevance to the topic, and could be voted on by other members as a non relevant post. once the vote count reaches a set amount, the spammers post is removed and his/her post count is reduced by one. also, this would send a message to the spammer that his non relevant replies were not appreciated by the other forum members, and show him that as doing such he is just wasting his time.

and, of course, this would only affect the forums where posts actually count.

maybe it would work, maybe not.

comments?

Spectral
December 5, 2003, 1:42 am
who cares

toadsMoke
December 5, 2003, 2:30 am
Spectral: The people who read this forum care.

Spectral
December 5, 2003, 4:03 am
eh it was a joke regarding morpheus's previous post

gi.joe
December 5, 2003, 5:18 am
lol... what?

frogboy
December 5, 2003, 6:46 am
It wasn't a joke. Jokes are supposed to be humourous(sp?)