( search forums )
Changing Brightness/Background Color
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
malone
August 21, 2003, 2:27 pm
Im having trouble actually seeing the action while playing Soldat. The background color on most levels seems far too dark, which makes it hard to see the smaller objects. I often find that Im blown up by a grenade I didnt even know was there.

Is there a way to change the background color or just adjust the brightness of the game (like most games do nowadays)? At the moment I have to change my monitor contrast when I play, but its a pain in the ass having to do that everytime.

While Im at it, who's idea was it to have forum messages black on dark grey! :) Do all Soldat players have an adversion to bright colors? [:D]

N1nj@
August 21, 2003, 2:36 pm
no you cannot, but i m guessing you are playing in windowed, try playing in full screen, it will help.

Dark_Noddy
August 21, 2003, 4:59 pm
*If this is conciderd Cheating PLZ dont ban me.. Just tell me..*

U can change the Background colour with editor...

b00stA
August 21, 2003, 9:01 pm
You call the background here dark grey? Ok, now call me colour blind.

Well, right now there's no built-in solution in Soldat afaik.
I never had any problems with the brightness, contrast or alike but I guess it's a reasonable idea.

NightCabbage
August 22, 2003, 10:07 am
Ok, first of all, considering this background is quite visible, as is Soldat, I would suggest that your monitor's brightness/contrast is set too low.

First try to fix it with the controls (buttons/knobs, etc.), or perhaps if you have a semi-modern video card it may have options for setting brightness in the Display Properties.

The other option... :P

Well, last time I told someone to open their monitor up and change the hardware setting with a screwdriver, they nearly blew themselves up :P

(who was that again?)

But if you're game, and know what you're doing (and are very very careful) then you can take the casing off your monitor, and there should but a variable resistor (POT style) somewhere on the board. Turn it until your monitor is at a good brightness.

There should be one for focus, brightness, and maybe a few others.

But... only do this if you know what you're doing!

malone
August 22, 2003, 2:36 pm
Thanks for the help guys. I think its probably a problem with my eyes :) Im starting to get used to it after playing it a bit more tho.

Like I said, changing the contrast on my monitor helps a lot, but then all my other apps look really glarey (gives me a major headache after a while). So the main problem is Im too lazy to keep changing it each time I want to play :)

I like the idea of actually changing the map files. But would that work if I wanted to play online? I imagine the map files have to be exactly the same for every person thats playing or it wont work?

Dark_Noddy
August 23, 2003, 9:08 pm
It works.. At least I have done it.. 1ce... I think The Colour settings fore the background are sames size no matter what Colour.. Thus the file size is the same.. I've only tried it on 1 map Tho so I dunno if it works with all..