( search forums )
scenery error
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
blabla22
August 24, 2003, 8:29 am
hey i made a map.. and added my own scenery.. called brbafkroom.bmp its in my scenery-gfx folder.. i used windows paint to make it .. loaded up my map makers stuck it in the map.. then compiled and saved.. the map runs fine for me.. no probs at all.. but when i give the map and the bmp to others .. they cant join.. they get a message saying "ORIGINAL SCENERY CANNOT BE MODIFIED, PLEASE REINSTALL GAME". i never touched any of the games files .. i made a whole new one.. they also have the map and the bmp in the right folder .. but they still cant load or join my map.. please help..
the map played fine with others till i added in the bmp.
anyone got any ideas?

([:P] moved - NightCabbage)

Hercule Poirot
August 24, 2003, 9:10 am
maybe others need to recompile map and save it? look that site for more information

http://www.geocities.com/soldatmappacks/

blabla22
August 25, 2003, 1:47 am
yes i got others to try that.. but then we no longer have the same map version.. if u read on that link i sent it tells u what the bug is and how to fix it .. but this didnt seen to fix my prob.. "ORIGINAL SCENERY CANNOT BE MODIFIED, PLEASE REINSTALL GAME"

At one time or another, you may come across this message. You have done nothing wrong. There is just one easy problem that must be fixed. There is a bug in Soldat that is causing this, but you can survive with this bug. Here?s what the problem is, and how to fix it.

When you make a map and use scenery, the map maker keeps a (usually) handy list of everything you use. Look about to see that drop-down list. But this list is the problem. You see, if you choose a piece of custom scenery (meaning you made it and inserted it) and place it but then delete it, it is added to the list. Even if you delete it, it will show up on the list. You can delete it from your computer. It is still there. So that means the future users of the map will need every piece of scenery on that list, or they will get the error message.

What does this mean? Be cautious of the scenery you choose. Only choose what you will use. And if you accidentally choose something, be sure to include it in the folder that you send to whomever. If you choose not to do this, then no one will be able to play it unless you (or they) find the error.

carbon kid
September 4, 2003, 7:37 am
yeha i need help isntalled sum maps and got the could not mess with irogianl scenery shiz bang

blabla22
September 10, 2003, 9:34 pm
lol i dont think this is the place to find much help.. now of someone had a working and understandable way of making xustom scenery.. that would be great.. cus all the stuff i have found on the net does not seem to correct this prob.. and its funny how a prob like this can cas alot of others probs .. but the maker of the game does not support us.. so sad

Imion
October 12, 2003, 7:39 pm
is there a way to delete scenerys from that drop-down list ???

enjoyincubus
October 13, 2003, 11:26 pm
Soldat's changed a bit since I made that tutorial mentioned above...there's something different that may make what I said obsolete. Try this instead:

Tell your friends to try the map without the scenery...just take it out of the scenery-gfx folder, and then start up the map. I've tried this with a few maps, and it works. The scenery just doesn't show up.

And for your info:

This particular problem has just risen in the latest version...before that, there was a fix for it...but somehow, the problem came back. He's taking care of everything he can at this time. The game still works, so I don't see how it "causes a lot of other problems". :)

Danives
December 5, 2003, 8:30 pm
I have this error too. I have made a map and it works perfectly on my computer, so I sent my friends the files, and wen they try to run it, it comes up with an error saying the above. Dont know why it would run on my one but not theres! We've had this problem before with other custom maps off the web. They would work on mine and a few others, and then not on my other friends. Any thoughts?

bintz2000
December 5, 2003, 9:57 pm
Imion There is no way that i know of or have came across to delete the scenary in that drop down list._________________________
The best thing is to NOT use custom scenary or only use custom scenary that you are for sure going to use. Even if you add some scenary then later take it out you are going to have to have that scenary that you took out put in your scenary folder otherwise you will get this error. It sucks but thats the way it is. :(