( search forums )
Converting mp3 to .it
Soldat Forums - Soldat Interface Mods & Mod Making - Modding help
SoldatStriker
August 24, 2003, 11:30 am
Does anyone know of any programs that convert mp3 files into .it or .xm files?

eyic
August 24, 2003, 11:41 am
im not very sure, but i remember a topic askign about this before...

NightCabbage
August 24, 2003, 1:10 pm
Well, though many people have requested this, it would be almost impossible to code without ENORMOUS effort!

The problem is (and you probably know all this but I just finished my psych assignment so I'm warned up with typing hahahahaha) standard CDs, wave files, mp3 files, etc. all store digital samples of sound waves. A common sample rate is 44,100 Hz, which is 44,100 samples per second (a fair few).

The human ear picks each one of those samples up and our brains make it into a nice little sound so we can 'hear' it as something.
After all the human brain cannot percieve unless is first converts the input into something we can understand.

Here is a wave at 1:42 (zoomed out heaps)
[IMAGE]
Each pixel represents 42 samples.

Here is a portion of that same wave at 1:1 (no zoom)
[IMAGE]
Each pixel represents 1 sample.

Now, the problem is that from those above images, can you tell what is a drum beat? What is a guitar strum? What is a piano key?

And how about a voice?

Different tracker formats are:
ProTracker (mod)
ScreamTracker (S3M)
FastTracker (XM)
Impulse Tracker (IT)

They store small samples of an instrument playing and then pay them back at different pitches.

So now how do you get the correct sounding instrument to play? And there might be many playing at once.

So imagine having to sift through those above waves looking for not one, but maybe 32 individual instruments and a voice or 22 to boot.

One good thing about waves is that they are all made up of simpler waves. But there can be many of these waves in each instrument.

That's the good thing about our brains :)
We can do stuff computers cannot dream of... perhaps that's because they can't dream, or maybe they just lack humanity ;)

Short answer:

No :)

Other short answer:

If you give me an mp3, I can give you an xm or it file in return.
However the file will be very large... As large as the same file in wave format (not mp3).

So... back to the first short answer :P

b00stA
August 24, 2003, 1:19 pm
Somebody suggested (maybe it was me, I don't remember :P) that you just create a .IT and put in exactly one sample, not pitched at all and this very sample would be your whole MP3 you want to include. This way the filesize doesn't decrease at all but this way you had your MP3 as one sample in your IT file.
Could that work? I never tested it but it seems like a reasonable possibility to me.
EDIT1: As NC stated above, the filesize would be this of a WAVE which would suck royal balls.

EDIT2: Are all these tracker files not capable of using MP3 compression (or maybe OGG?) because that would decrease it a lot again (1/11 of the current filesize with 128kbit/s CBR afair)

NightCabbage
August 25, 2003, 12:35 am
Yea make sure you tell me if you find a tracker format that does support MP3 / WMA, etc!!

That said, the player in Soldat would have to support it also... which is doubtful :P

SoldatStriker
August 25, 2003, 4:18 am
Does anyone know of any programs that convert .wav files into .it or .xm files?

BManx2000
August 25, 2003, 4:37 am
Well, if you could theoretically do this... then couldn't you replace the default songs with your own...?

SoldatStriker
August 25, 2003, 6:09 am
Yes, exactly.

NightCabbage
August 25, 2003, 11:39 am
Striker - yup you sure can but the resulting file would be as large as the .wav file...

And thus not too many people would be interested in downloading 30+ megs :)

(note that this method was talked about in greater detail above)

Dark_Noddy
August 25, 2003, 4:50 pm
I found a prog @ http://v75.vweb.citenet.net/it/ Its MSN dos based And I didnt figure it out So i Dunno If its got nittn 2 do wih anything, but It could play the .it Files so I guess Its somthing :D

Imion
October 11, 2003, 3:42 pm
Service Temporarily Unavailable
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.