( search forums )
What's with the Ruger?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
F3nyx
August 25, 2003, 4:35 am
Okay, I've used the Ruger quite a bit, and I'm not bad with it either - but I can't figure out to predict exactly where the bullets are going. Sometimes it fires high, sometimes low, and it doesn't seem to correspond with the direction you're flying in. Anyone know what makes it tick?

Chakra
August 25, 2003, 5:17 am
I find my aim seems to jerk mostly when i'm moving left or right while using jets. Incidently I usually fire while in that slight hovering state between going up and down.

BMF
August 25, 2003, 5:49 am
Yeah, ruger is nerfed as well as the barret, which is also impossible to shoot at certain angles

koil
August 25, 2003, 6:03 am
quote:Originally posted by BMF
Yeah, ruger is nerfed as well as the barret,
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats a good one.
first, if barret is so nerfed now, then why ALL the players in ALL the servers plays with it? go to any server that you want, dnagames, internode, tell me how many players playing with barret and how many with the others.
ok enough said bout the barret.
hmm, i'm a ruger user also and belive me, the last thing that he is is nerfed. think of it, you got 200% (or 150% in some cases) to kill your enemy (2 straight shots into the head=60% damage each) and really really fast reload time, which pops the your question again: is any of your weapons you mentiond really got nerfed?
'rofl thats a good one' with the barret and 'wtf?' on the other one.

TheKnightoftheMare
August 25, 2003, 6:15 am
ruger is nerfed?Its the strongest it has ever been since I started to play soldat.If anything it should be 'tweaked' to wheres theres alonger time between shots, about a 1/2-1 second.

Social Poison
August 25, 2003, 7:02 am
I don't know about that. As it stands now the Ruger is a best person's bet against a Barret user (in my mind).

I think the trick to the barret is patience. It's a difficult weapon to master but when you do it can be a rather scary sight.

The ruger doesn't have the Barret's angel scramble, I'm pretty sure.

Just take your time with your shots.

that fuking sniper
August 25, 2003, 8:20 am
The reason bullets stray from time to time is this: Normally when you fire a Barret bullet, you only see 1 bullet that goes straight, but it doesnt go exactly where you aim, depends on where you face and weather you are moving or not, and what direction. The same thing goes for the Ruger, only that you can fire 4 bullets pretty fast with it, and you can notice the difference there is, that happens when you try to hover, that means fly, let go of jet, then jet again, in the air, while firing at the same time. The bullets stray because some are fired when you are descending, and some others while you're ascending.

F3nyx
August 25, 2003, 2:39 pm
Mmmkay, maybe I just haven't used it consistently enough... too busy with the DEs, I guess.

SuperKill
August 25, 2003, 4:12 pm
rofl ruger nerfed. good one.
it was like: boom...........boom............boom............boom
now its: boom...boom...boom...boom...reload.....boom...boom...boom...etc

Dark_Noddy
August 25, 2003, 4:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by that fuking sniper
The reason bullets stray from time to time is this: Normally when you fire a Barret bullet, you only see 1 bullet that goes straight, but it doesnt go exactly where you aim, depends on where you face and weather you are moving or not, and what direction. The same thing goes for the Ruger, only that you can fire 4 bullets pretty fast with it, and you can notice the difference there is, that happens when you try to hover, that means fly, let go of jet, then jet again, in the air, while firing at the same time. The bullets stray because some are fired when you are descending, and some others while you're ascending.

I disagree ! IMO The Roga got a smal offset.. And the Barret Shoot Staraight as long as U dont Pres no movement btns..

BMF
August 25, 2003, 4:39 pm
Koil, Knightmare and Superkill STFU

Barret IS a strong weapon, but it IS nerfed, because it is almost impossible to shoot from certain angles. Why is it easy to shoot it say up right, but very hard to shoot it down left?? Ruger is a little better, it shoots straight when you are in free fall.

Other weapons like m79 for example, you can shoot it from any angle, whether you are flying or not, and it will go where it is supposed to. That is what i mean when i say that the barret is nerfed

that fuking sniper
August 25, 2003, 9:17 pm
BMF, The Barret was always like that. Ever since it was created it was like that, the Barret only got stronger over the patches, not weaker.

Dark Noddy, go try it yourself, you'll see what I mean. The Ruger doesnt just shoot offset by itself, it happens for a reason, that means you, The only thing controlling it. Try shooting it while flying, then shoot it while standing still. When you're standing the bullets will go straight where you aim them. When you fly they wont, you have to shoot it as if you shot a Barret, its the same thing, only that Ruger bullets are a bit slower.

SoldatStriker
August 26, 2003, 12:57 am
quote:Originally posted by BMF
Koil, Knightmare and Superkill STFU
Why is it easy to shoot it say up right, but very hard to shoot it down left?? Ruger is a little better, it shoots straight when you are in free fall.

Other weapons like m79 for example, you can shoot it from any angle, whether you are flying or not, and it will go where it is supposed to. That is what i mean when i say that the barret is nerfed

Because if you're right handed, moving the mouse to shoot up right is easier than shooting down left; it just feels much more natural. Likewise, it's vice versa for left handers.

Actually, all of the weapons in Soldat target differently depending on whether you're moving or not, some more than others.

One of the most drasitically changed (and underused) weapons in the game is the HK MP5, who in previous version had bullets who were short ranged and fired single file. I imagine it was given a wider spread as a form of mercy to all of the snipers it killed in previous versions of Soldat.

Also, please consider the fairly new ability "proning" in Soldat. It seems that Michal wanted to add some realism and utility to this new manuever, and as a result he made it so that your soldier will fire weapons with better accuracy and targeting when in a prone position.

wormdundee
August 26, 2003, 1:11 am
ok, as a year long ruger user i say that the ruger has no shooting offset, or either ive become so used to it that i dont notice it anymore...which is doubtful, and also yes, its because of whether your right or left handed the thing about down left and up right, it seems much more natural for me to shoot down right and up left and bloody hard to aim down left and up right...and that is the final word :D

Social Poison
August 26, 2003, 1:55 am
TFS I thought you've been playing longer than that. I"m fairly certain that in 1.05b it doesn't have the offset. If not I'm certain further back (1.02b - 1.03b) it does.

N1nj@
August 26, 2003, 2:01 am
there are offset in 1.0.5...never changed...

BMF
August 26, 2003, 3:20 am
TFS i thought about left-hand-right-hand stuff, but its not all about that. Barret does actually shoot weird at certain angles

N1nj@
August 26, 2003, 3:28 am
is not certain angles, is when you are in the air, flying up and down.

wormdundee
August 26, 2003, 3:32 am
yeh, if you have your jet going and you shoot your barret it will shoot weird, this was long ago solved by just not jetting when you shoot, and then start jetting again right after

N1nj@
August 26, 2003, 3:54 am
now you told everyone the secret :P

BMF
August 26, 2003, 4:43 am
dude i am no idiot, and i am not crazy. Barret shoots weird, whether you jet or not. I just went out and tried it

sanity
August 26, 2003, 9:29 am
ive never been able to fire the barret well (since 1.02 lol)... i dont think it likes me. [:(]

that fuking sniper
August 26, 2003, 9:33 am
1.0.5b had offset, nobody noticed it back then because the Ruger didnt fire bullets as fast, and you couldnt see how bullets go into different directions because by the time the second bullet was fired, you'd have changed your direction/speed...

And SP, I was here since 1.0.3b...

Try it once, fly in a direction smoothely while pressing down your jet key, no sudden stops, fire the full magazine, all of the bullets would fire in the same proportion. Then try flying in zig-zag, or press and release your jet continually so you wont fly smooth, then fire your whole magazine, not every bullet would have the same porportion as the others.

sqweek
August 27, 2003, 9:01 pm
quote:Because if you're right handed, moving the mouse to shoot up right is easier than shooting down left; it just feels much more natural. Likewise, it's vice versa for left handers.

I'm sure this is not true... hell, I'mma boot up soldat 1.0.5b and do some memory editing.
OK, I've changed the barret to shoot ridiculously fast, so that in a single screenshot I can show a good idea of it's spread...

First, standing still, shooting down-right:
[IMAGE]
Looks good.

Now, shooting up-right:
[IMAGE]
A bit of spread there...

Up-left:
[IMAGE]
Accurate again.

Down-left:
[IMAGE]
Bit of spread, just like up-right.
Overall, accuracy when standing is good.

Ok, now some flying shots. First down-left:
[IMAGE]
Nice and accurate.

Up-right:
[IMAGE]
Woah! WTF? bullets going everywhere.

Up-left:
[IMAGE]
The bullets aren't going very close to the cursor, but they are following the same path - accuracy is good.

Down-left:
[IMAGE]
We have barret-spray again.

One more on up-right for good measure :)
[IMAGE]

I should note that this experiment is repeatable in the current version without memory-editing... put your cursor at some spot, and don't move it. Then, use your jets until your cursor goes over some landmark, and shoot. Then, turn off the jets, land, and do it again (don't move your cursor so that you can do more or less exactly the same shot over again).
When you are shooting down-right, your bullet will land in the same spot every time, but if you are shooting down-left it varies.

sqweek
August 27, 2003, 9:09 pm
Oh yeah, some other notes:
It seems to happen with all the weapons, though is less noticable with some.

I note that accuracy is good when tan(x) is negative, x being the angle you are aiming at. Though depending on where angles are measured from it could be when tan(x) is positive.

PS. The ruger really didn't need the boost to it's firing speed it got recently :p

sqweek, who would have edited, but didn't want to bugger around with the previous big post.

Deleted User
August 28, 2003, 2:58 am
wow thats really cool, i mean, editing the files to make it shoot fast......how'd u do it?[:)]

BMF
August 28, 2003, 4:37 am
YES!! YES!!!!! Thats what i am talking about when i said that barret is nerfed!! Try shooting it bottom left

So people from the first page, i am too lazy to look up yer names, just look at the pictures

TheKnightoftheMare
August 28, 2003, 5:34 am
how does that make it nerfed?

BMF
August 28, 2003, 5:43 am
I dont know what word to use. The weapon does not fire the way it is supposed to. If it was made like that on purpose, thats called bad coding i guess. If it *was* coded that way intentionally, it is nerfed.

TheKnightoftheMare
August 28, 2003, 6:17 am
no nerfed is when its useless and nobody uses it like how the chainsaw is now.The chainsaw is nerfed.The barret is far from nerfed.

Deleted User
August 28, 2003, 1:04 pm
who cares? come on it dosent matter, the barret/ruger is just "coded improperly" it dont matta
stopp babbaling on about this topic....pointless...pointless [:-shakes head] <--lol

N1nj@
August 28, 2003, 2:28 pm
is not nerfed, it was NEVER nerfed.

when those gun was in the game, it was like that already.

so just stfu

BMF
August 28, 2003, 3:25 pm
then its called bad coding

N1nj@
August 28, 2003, 10:26 pm
no, if all guns shot so accurate, and there is no recoil, thats no fun at all.

BMF
August 29, 2003, 12:24 am
ok if it shoots correctly top right, but it's screwed up down left, it's called "unintentional bad coding" or "intentional nerfing"

Frosty
August 29, 2003, 1:03 am
I agree with BMF. It was intentional nerfing beginning with 1.0.5b

N1nj@
August 29, 2003, 2:07 am
omfg. it was like that when it is 1.0.x . ffs.

sqweek
August 29, 2003, 4:09 am
quote: wow thats really cool, i mean, editing the files to make it shoot fast......how'd u do it
I didn't edit the files, I edited the memory :)

Personally, I expect some level of innacuracy was intended, but I highly doubt guns are supposed to be less accurate when firing in different directions.

BManx2000
August 29, 2003, 3:32 pm
Then wouldn't this be a disadvantage to teams who shoot in those directions more often?

Toumaz
August 29, 2003, 3:36 pm
cool images...!
Yes there is a strange stuff with the barret

N1nj@
August 29, 2003, 3:50 pm
yes it will, which is the blue team

BMF
August 29, 2003, 6:40 pm
Yes, blue team is always in a disadvantage with a barret. I dont think it is supposed to be like that