( search forums )
Non-real = Lame?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra
August 25, 2003, 6:28 am
Hi, I haven't been on this forum long, being only a 'private', and i've only been playing soldat for 9 months on and off.

I like tuna, hate things with coconut in, and despise non-real mode.

I am not mentally-challenged or married to satan/Jeff Goldblum.

I am fully aware of what I'm saying and the probable consequences.

I been playing ordinary non-real servers for about an hour and a half - ctf, deathmatch, think I dabbled in infiltration too - and (preferring RM) I can honestly say I just don't get why people like it so much.

For instance, I was on DNAGame's server for a while, 7 out of 10 players were using barret at one point. Was almost a turn on, having all those incredibly long barrels pointing and shooting their load at me........[:O]........but anyhow, if you want to kill people so fast, why hate RM?

My trusty ruger seemed about as useful as a set of golf clubs at a swinger's party, taking 2-3 headshots to kill, which is needless to say very difficult for the majority of players. Desert eagles and barret, and maybe AK74/Aug seem to be the only collection of weapons that can serve any damage to the torso, all others making a kill an even more lengthy affair.

And how come at every CTF game I played, every other flag steal resulted in both teams having each other's flag, the state only being broken after a very long wait/battle? It seemed without any veteran snipers waiting around the flag, stealing it was a breeze, leaving you with only a few bruises from passing shots on escape.

I could probably go on forever...maybe say something about there being no line of sight and the benefits of it, the lack of any rush or suspense when meeting an enemy, why all the sniper-killing's in New York are caused by the hate for David Blaine and Spy Kid movies, etc..

[B)]
Here come the flames...

Frosty
August 25, 2003, 6:31 am
Someone suggested that "line of sight" be an option for servers. I agreed with that point.

kleinheero
August 25, 2003, 7:08 am
well, in my view, david blaine is a revolutionary.
Anyways,
People like something that's easy. It attracts them. With M79 or barret, it's very easy to kill someone just standing there. Aim and shoot = bam! :) well, people began to realize how many others were using the same guns. Then, they said, "Hey, there's like thousands of other guns, why don't we use them?" Thus the battle between using the VERY GOOD GUNS vs. people who want to be different. Out of all this, that's why so many good guys who actually are smart enough to choose good guns ( ;) ) are being called noob.

Happy Camper
August 25, 2003, 11:01 pm
Myself i love line of sight but i hate how chep real mode can be it is like you don't see some one comeing line of sight "i love" but then he shoot's you 1!!! time wit his rugar and then it is like "wtf i just ran all the way over here for nuthing that is bs!!" 1 shot 1 kill nothing you can do if you use m79 like me and you have no range so i don't play RM that often but it is fun "sometimes" when i do

SILENT
August 25, 2003, 11:15 pm
yea....happy you used ruger77 many times.

And its the same way on non-realisic...you run all the way there...to be shot with a sniper bullet.

Happy Camper
August 25, 2003, 11:47 pm
that was when ver 1.1.4 came out i used the rugar but not in real(i don't think i played RM when ver 1.1.4 was out)but now i i'm back to good old m79 and rugar is way worse than beret rugar fires Fast relode fast shoots strt way worse that beret which you can ovd rugar you can not at least wit m79 so gay..

SILENT
August 26, 2003, 12:12 am
yes.. you did play realistic back in 1.1.4

F3nyx
August 26, 2003, 12:19 am
Yeah, Silent, Barret's still powerful in RM, but there's more incentive for people to use other guns, because many of them are just as capable of one/two shot kills.

wormdundee
August 26, 2003, 1:06 am
hell, i say ruger is better than the barret, if you miss one shot or 2 shots, you still have 2 shots left to kill them with, and it reloads bloody fast, in fact, just cuz im so humble, i call myself the best ruger user in soldat :P

SoldatStriker
August 26, 2003, 1:32 am
The thing I really hate about Realistic mode is the fall damage. We're playing as Soldiers with jet packs who can jump as high as an entire bunker, so I'd imagine they'd be able to stand some of the falls without taking to much damage. Better yet, since it's realistic mode, why not have that annoying damage reduced by breaking your fall with something as simple as rolling? It's gotten so bad that they've had to create parachutes just for some maps.

Not to mention "glitch" fall damage. Just from doing a running start AT GROUND LEVEL and rolling into certain types of slopes makes you take damage, which doesn't help when it already takes 1 or two bullets to kill you.

In my opinion, this annoying factor of realistic mode really slows the game down as players are hoping from one foot to the other just trying to keep their soldier from taking damage from simple movement. Don't even think about running out of jet pack fuel; falls have been known to take up to half of your life.

Anyhow, I'm going to outline what I like the most about Realistic Mode, among some other things...

-Fog of War

In my opinion, the best reason to play realistic mode, ever. No other mode's features can compare. There's enough strategy based gameplay in Soldat as it is-and Fog of War increases it tenfold. It allows for diversions, suprise attacks, covert flag captures, the works. So good that it needs to be considered an option for regular mode, if not a game mutator.

-Realistic damage

If Fog of War is the showstopper, then realistic damage is definetly the street sweeper-this puppy allows you to mow down teams of people on a single SOCOM clip, all the while proving your prowess with accuracy. It makes all of the weapons useful(even the Barret!) and makes players get smart as to whether they want to run in all stupidly, guns blazing and mind blanked. Realistic damage makes Soldat more of a thinking game. Do you really want to take on three other people when one is more than enough to kill you, or wait for reinforcements to respawn? It's about as easy as answering the question "Do you want to die or not?"

-Gun Kick Back

Gun kick back sounded awesome when it was first introduced-when it was on paper. In my opinion, gun kick back is one feature that needs to be tweaked the most in realistic mode. Gun kick back adds some realism by throwing off your fire with every shot, but gets drastic with some weapons, and makes others downright unplayable.

Instead of having to readjust my sight for every single bullet I fire, I would prefer that gun kick back would throw off my shot while the gun is being fired, and re-center after that shot. If I fired before it recentered it should be thrown off to reflect rapid fire within that same time frame-in other words, the amount of kickback should be cumulative to the amount of shots fired within the same time frame.

-Falling damage

As it stands, falling damage is rediculous. It you had a tad more leeway, than it may actaully be a welcome feature, but right now it's destructive enough to make keeping your soldier safe from himself a chore.

-Smaller amount of Jet Fuel

This is pointless since maps have different amounts of jet fuel as it is. Reducing jet fuel when there already isn't enough on a map just makes fall damage that much more of a nuissance.

Here's my suggestion for Realistic Mode:

-Smaller magazine size

You're already using 3-4 bullets to kill someone, so why not just cut down on the bullets you can carry too? This would force players to aim better, further validating that realistic mode is a mode for the leet and is not to be taken lightly.

BMF
August 26, 2003, 3:36 am

Striker lets do it! We take *realistic mode* and we tweak it a bit. First we reduce gun damage, then we reduce falling damage. And then we take away the recoil! Wow, thats sweet! But i think i played that one before. How is it called?? Ow wait, its called NON-REALISTIC MODE. SOUNDS LIKE FUN!!

Tell me another thing dude, how you gonna reduce the clip size?? Take a AK-47 magazine and cut it in half??

After that we all we need to implement is Fog Of War (WTF??!) and lets go play some WarCraft!!

SILENT
August 26, 2003, 4:51 am
LOL......

Yea i just think they should reduce the fall damage, SO PEOPLE CAN STOP THERE MOANING! SHEESH!, and i would like to see more realistic servers so maybe that will help.

And, realistic involves more accuracy then non-real so it does take a couple shots to kill someone, but to be good at realistic you must be a good dodger in my opinion...and you must utilize medics alot, and nades help you alot.

Oh yea, and it also requires alot of suprises and stealth (hence my name Silent)

And yes if you took all those things away, it would be exactly non-real, and i wouldnt exist, hehe. [:D]

SoldatStriker
August 26, 2003, 5:25 am
BMF:

Gun damage is fine,
falling damage is random,
recoil is buggy and needs tweaking,
you don't have to cut the magazine in half when you can just load less bullets into the gun,
and fog of war is a military term used to describe the cover which "hides" enemy units, just like how you can only see enemies in realistic mode who are in plain sight.

Silent:

As it stands, fall damage can occur from falling from just a small height (for example, when you respawn on some maps), and when you jump-launch from a hill.

Jump launching is done by going up a steep slope by pressing the jump button repeatedly, the opposite of falling. Even so, you take damage when you launch off of a hill, which doesn't make sense because you're only using your legs to launch off of a slope, but the game registers it as fall damage because of the amount of speed you jump-launch off of the slope. Based on this, fall damage must have been programmed so that the amount of speed you're going triggers a parameter that causes damage EVEN if you're going horizontal regardless of the height you fell at.

My problem with it? I rather take damage from falling then going really fast across the terrain. Fall damage makes rolling useless, and a roll is one realistic way to break a fall. This is realistic mode, after all, not made up physics mode.

BMF
August 26, 2003, 6:17 am
Yes, i agree with you. I tried to break the fall by rolling, which would make sense. But it dont work =(

sanity
August 26, 2003, 9:28 am
instead of having realistic mode, why not just have line of sight server options... coz personally i like line of sight, it adds more challenge to the game and its fun hiding from noobs around the corner then popping out and blowing them all up. [:P] fall damage sux0rs however...

F3nyx
August 28, 2003, 12:34 am
One thing I'd like added to both game modes is being able to hit people in mid-air with cluster nades. I don't know how many times I've made a perfect throw, only to see the nade pass right through my opponent. Without that, all you can do, except for taking out campers, is spam.

SILENT
August 28, 2003, 2:49 am
and how does that involve this conversation? somehow i dont get it but anyways...

Chakra i also like tuna :) and i hate cocunuts wow....

Social Poison
August 28, 2003, 3:36 am
Real mode can be an EXCELLENT diversion (or even primary mode of play) for Soldat. My example comes from earlier this morning (I was awake so I could get my copy of Soul Calibur 2 when GameStop opened... I didn't realize how pathetic I am until then).

I was killing time (thought GS opend at 9... it opened at 10) and hopped into the FF/TDM/RL server or whatever that one is. I was the only one there for a few minutes and finally someone showed up. Btw we were playing on Jungle (a great real map). For a little while it was a DE vs DE match, which really dosn't change Soldat from it's normal mode except you die more often and have to watch your decent speed. But then we both switched to rugers and things got crazy.

Not crazy like matrix-dodging-bullet-type-sweetness crazy. I'm talking sneaking-around-jumping-over-grenade-crates-so-you-don't-make-a-sound-when-you-pick-it-up crazy. We both almost stopped using our jets because the sound gave away our position.

(now for my skillz story)
(both have rugers)
We were both on the right side of the map where the tunnel thing connects the upper and lower portions. I was up top and he was on bottom and we were in a pretty good stalemate. So I threw a couple grenades down and ran the oposite way (toward the left side of the screen). I jumped down the hole on the left and dropped to the lower level, using my jets only JUST before I hit the ground to minimize their sound impact.

Then I began my slow crouch/sneak walk over to him on the right side. The whole time I couldn't tell where he was exactly, but I assumed he was still in the same spot right below the tunnel on the right side. As I jumped over the hole in the bridge I caught a very quick glance of his blue uniform... he was crouching behind a box with his gun pointed toward the tunnel.

I had made my way around without detection.

Slowly I moved up the hill (and he disapeard from my site again... I only saw him as I jumped over the hole). Slowly... I crept up behind him. He popped back into my vision and BAM! Single ruger shot to the head, took him out.

His reply was "!!!"

Imagine... Soldat... a stealth game?
-------------------------
I think after SWW is done I'm going to make a 1v1 Realistic tournament

SILENT
August 29, 2003, 3:46 am
GO SOCIAL! YEA YEA! (nice story) that rocks, and yes i luv the stealth on soldat, it rox. [:D]

Stix
August 29, 2003, 6:50 am
i wish u could break up realistic mode into its individual features so you could say only have recoil and the rest be defualt mode