( search forums )
Access Violation
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Automator5000
August 30, 2003, 9:59 pm
Message looks something like this, but varies each time:
Access violation at address 0049BB4C in Module 'Soldat.exe'. Read of address 00000000.

Error first occured during game play with 3 players and 1 bot. A new player had just joined and everyone got kicked off the server. Then we all rejoined the server and get this message after about 5-10 seconds. I have tried reinstalling the server (dedicated linux), and my own client. Everytime someone tries to join this message appears and game crashes, the server remains running.

NightCabbage
August 31, 2003, 3:23 am
First of all make sure you're running a clean Soldat installation.

Uninstall and then reinstall Soldat 1.1.5 and the fix.

Also make sure that you're not running anything suspicious in the background.

Soldat has inbuilt anti-cheat protection.

But can sometimes pick up on a program that's not actually a cheat, but it will still think it is... :P

Automator5000
August 31, 2003, 5:39 pm
I have tried reinstalling the client and the server. Everything was working fine for everyone for 2 days then all of a sudden we all getthese messages right after we join.

NightCabbage
September 1, 2003, 12:10 pm
Well, I would suggest to you that it's very likely a virus.

Do you have much in the way of virus protection?

Viruses can infect many files (Soldat included) and will cause similar errors.

Automator5000
September 1, 2003, 8:48 pm
I found out a few more things. The problem only seems to be affecting people who were on the server at the time of the first crash. People who wernt on the server can still play fine. It is not a virus, i run AV. Im simply out of logical ideas now. It seems to be a client issue, but when it first happened all 3 of us got disconencted. We rejoined then started getting the access violation. So it seems that somehow the server would be involved. Reinstalled both server and clients, tried switching back to default server configuration. Still the 3 of us get this error. But players who wernt on at the time of the first crash are unaffected.

Automator5000
September 1, 2003, 9:48 pm
I can host a game no problem. but still my friends get the error

NightCabbage
September 2, 2003, 1:04 am
So you can host a server ok, and other people can join it ok.
And your friends can join other servers.

But your friends just cant join your servers.

Correct?

Automator5000
September 2, 2003, 2:08 am
I can host a server ok. But the 3 people who were on the dedicated linux server when it crashed get the access violation after about 15 seconds. Another friend of mine who wasnt on the linux server when it crashed can play just fine on any server, including my temporary server. I also had others joining my game from the lobby server. I also can join other servers, but after 15 seconds i get the access violation.

NightCabbage
September 2, 2003, 5:19 am
It sounds highly like a problem with one of the following:

DirectX (not likely)

Drivers (video, sounds, etc.)

Virus - Although you have an anti-virus make sure it's virus definitions are completely up to date, also some AVs suck.

Programs running in the background may be causing a problem.

So your friends only get the violation on your server?

So the problem is with your computer, and no others?

Automator5000
September 2, 2003, 5:38 am
The problem occurs with me and the 3 others who were on the linux server. we were playing and all a sudden we were all disconencted at the same time, the server did not crash though. when we rejoined we all got the error after about 15 seconds. it happens on all of our games, no matter what server we play on. However, we are all able to host a server for others who do not have this problem. We definatly do not have virus that are known by AV.
We all played fine for about 2 days, myself I run several programs while playing and never had a problem. My friends also ran similar programs. If this is some sort of virus it would be a result of soldat itsself. I dont see any other reason why it would happen to us all at the same exact time.

gangsta
September 5, 2003, 1:44 am
I too get this Access Violation error about 30 seconds after a join a server. If you press ok on the error msg another one comes up and it goes on forever, thus making the game unplayable. I've tried everything Automator has.

And I'm still effing banned night cabbage! You'd think a cheater would learn his lession by now (about a month now), even though I didn't cheat for [:-censored].

NightCabbage
September 5, 2003, 2:53 am
Hey, I didn't ban your ass :P

But sometimes people get banned for no apparent reason, which results in your dilemma.

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about this, which kinda sucks...

Hopefully with the introduction of 1.1.6 these problems will be eradicated, and also hopefully the banned lists will be wiped.

If this happens then you will be able to play again.

To try to minimise the chance of getting cheat banned, make sure nothing is running in the background, make sure you have no viruses, don't edit any Soldat files, obviously don't cheat :P

The general idea being that Soldat can only pick up on what it finds, so if it doesn't find anything... =)