( search forums )
Whats wrong with the forums??
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
BMF
August 31, 2003, 5:58 pm
My have broadband. But when i surf the forums, it feels like the good old dial up is back. Every page takes like 5 minutes to download. Sometimes it gets so slow that my responses cannot register. Is it my connection or is it the server?

Tha Doggfather
August 31, 2003, 6:18 pm
i have the same prob (sometimes) , and i have a 4mbit cable connection :S

N1nj@
August 31, 2003, 6:19 pm
is not the server or your connection, is the forum itself :D

i think...

palloco
August 31, 2003, 6:20 pm
I think it is the I Explorer. Try Netscape

N1nj@
August 31, 2003, 6:29 pm
netscape suck :D

most poeple use IE now

morpheus
August 31, 2003, 6:40 pm
it doesn't matter what browser i use, the forum is still slow to load. and i get a lot of mysql timieouts too, both for the threads and the search.

is the server low on memory?

DNA.styx
August 31, 2003, 6:53 pm
the time a page takes to load from the database is displyed at the bottom of every page. If it takes anymore than that it's your browser/net connection downloading/rendering the images etc.

I get the timeouts in the search and pages once in a while, I normaly just reload the page and re-boot the server if it gets really bad. The forum's running off SQL 2k and that can suck as much memory as you throw at it but memory used on the web server is memory that can't be used on our game servers...and memory costs £/$/?.

I've got a couple of things I can do that should quicken up the forum but it will involve disabling some features. I'll disable them anyhow and se if anyone notices. [:)]

Dark_Noddy
August 31, 2003, 7:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@
netscape suck :D

most poeple use IE now

Indeed ! hehe I use Opera ! :D

*Edit*

I have Xperienced the same.. Happens 1ce in a while.... Timeouts and [:-censored] ! Loads half pages etc..

R
August 31, 2003, 7:41 pm
awww styx dont make us look for what you've disable just tell us =p sometimes pages load really slow for me and then just stop loading.

morpheus
September 1, 2003, 1:39 am
i've noticed that the only times this really happens for me is when there's around 15 or more browsing the boards. when there's 10 or less the forum runs pretty fast, and i dont have any probs with the search or posts being displayed.

but the search is kinda slow regardless.

BManx2000
September 1, 2003, 2:35 am
The "search entire message" function is basically useless. Whenever I use it, it times out. So, your best bet is a subject only search, preferably in one forum.

NightCabbage
September 1, 2003, 11:27 am
Well, it's not for page render time, which was '2.32 seconds' for this page right here that took about 15-20 seconds to load.

The server is actually quite quick to make the HTML file and send it on it's way, the problem is with the upload of the server.

It may only take 2.32 seconds to render the file, but it takes much longer to send it (this page is about 85KB without my post).

The search feature has been getting progressively worse for some time now.

To the extent that I really can't use it - it either gives and error (for no reason) or times out.

The shear amount of data it has to search through, I swear it would be practically stalling the server until it was done lol

morpheus
September 1, 2003, 11:56 am
turn the email notification back on, please.

eyic
September 1, 2003, 12:04 pm
well the forum goes fast here, coz im on cable, yay!! (a fast one too, wel la [:-censored] offered one but good enuf)

*mumbles* Stupid Aussie Optus Cable :(

NightCabbage
September 1, 2003, 2:12 pm
ugh, that email notification was annoying LOL

"you have 12 new emails!"

oh yay

oh...

*delete!*
*delete!*
*delete!*
*delete!*
*delete!*
*delete!*
*delete!*
*delete!*
*delete!*
*delete!*
*delete!*
*delete!*

lol :)

DNA.styx
September 1, 2003, 8:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by NightCabbage
ugh, that email notification was annoying LOL
If only there was a way to unsubcribe from them :) - click

NightCabbage
September 2, 2003, 12:50 am
lol I know, but:

morpheus:
"turn the email notification back on, please."

morpheus
September 2, 2003, 12:53 am
well, it's pretty simple.. i have mail filters. so if my little soldat mail folder says there's mail in it i press one button to empty it, and then go to the forums. so yes, please turn the mail notification back on.

mr_bob
September 2, 2003, 1:49 am
when im makeing a post it takes like 28 seconds but this page itself rendered in 5.24 but its still a long time i remmber when i first got here it took like .5 seconds or less so now its takeing a [:-censored] long time

DNA.styx
September 2, 2003, 2:43 am
I've turned it off as it's known to help the rendering speed of the forum....or so I'm told anyhoo...

R
September 2, 2003, 3:55 am
wow about an hour ago, every time i tried to look at a thread there was a time out. doing something to the forums? cause the main site was down around the same time that the many timeouts were occurring

Hercule Poirot
September 2, 2003, 8:48 am
i have this problem when i click any topic in right mouse button and open it in new window it lags it takes 2-3 sec to open list but other sites list open right away also while scrolling it lags (and then too when you drag site down) and now typing LAGS too little! this is really annyoing i cant use forum right :( wtf is wrong i have IE5 and i have deleted tempolary internet files

NightCabbage
September 2, 2003, 1:48 pm
ok, well the scrolling and typing have nothig to do with the forum LOL

But the pages do load very slowly, at least on some people's fast connections.

Hercule Poirot
September 3, 2003, 10:56 am
nvm now forum works right i check ad-aware for evil spyware programs got over 70 of them

BMF
September 8, 2003, 2:50 am
wow i just found this post that i made a while ago, it got moved. Anyway its still slow lol