( search forums )
about the m79
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
morpheus
September 5, 2003, 12:56 am
over the past several months i've been asked several times what's so great about the m79 and why i use it. so for the beginners out there, here's a list of the pros and cons, and even a few of the tactics i use. feel free to add in points or tactics that i may have failed to mention.

(disclaimer: all of this comes from my experience in using an m79 and does reflect the opinions of others)

bad points

1) the m79 has the shortest range of all the weapons, giving other weapon users a great advantage. all they have to do is stay out of the m79's range and attack. yes, it's hard to do against an experienced m79er, but not impossible.

2) the m79 is notorious for firing blanks, so expect it to happen on occasion. blame it on lag, but it still happens (even with zero lag) more times with the m79 than other weapon that i have played. i have never had this type of issue with the barret, ruger, or deagles. the m79's one shot is needed to work, or you're pretty much toast, especially going against the 4 shot (2 - 3 shot kill) ruger or the 7 shot (3 - 4 shot kill) deagles. this one would probably be up for debate, since net conditions do play a large factor.

3) the m79 is the only weapon that inflicts damage on it's user when firing at an opponant to closely. i understand the realism in this, but added to the above fore mentioned, this truly does give the m79er a distinct disadvantage, considering that it's set up to be a close combat weapon. so basically this cuts the m79's range even more. get to close, you kill yourself along with your opponant. get to far away and miss the shot completely.

4) the m79 shoots so slowly that a long range attack (or, better yet, the m79's version of long range) is usually pretty useless against an experienced player. it is somewhat easily dodged.

good points

1) one shot one kill, unless lag / blanks are involved.

2) as long as your shot is close to an opponant, you can either give him a considerable amount of splash damage enabling you to pull out a soccom and finish him off, or, kill him with the splash damage depending on the amount of health he has left.

3) kill 2 or more with one shot if they are running close enough together and are low on health.

4) the m79 shot arcs, meaning that you can fire into places that other guns can't and be in a safe place at the same time. this is very effective against snipers, but rarely ever used considering that the game has a fast pace.

m79 tactics

1) fly. getting as high as you can is the m79er's greatest ally as it does give you more firing range and better maneuverability.

2) don't always shoot to kill. example: you're playing ctf and on your way to the enemy base. you see your opponant heading towards your base. do you a) kill him and send him back to base where you'll have to deal with him again, or b) cause enough splash damage to him so he's going to be an easy kill for your teammate? it should be pretty obvious that the answer is b, simply because you don't want an extra person at the enemy base to deal with when you get there. remember, you only have one shot, so you have to go in, grab the flag and get the heck out as quick as possible. this tactic always works out great if you're organized because by the time you have the flag and are heading back to base, your teammates should have killed the other guy and he'll be respawning (usually) about the same time your leaving, and being to far away to do anything about getting the flag back.

3) when you're low on health, do you run and pray that you'll make it to a medic power up? if you do, chances are you're going to get killed before reaching it. so instead of running, why not go in for a kamakazi attack? you're most likely going to die anyways, so you've got nothing to lose. it's better to do a kamakazi and take you're opponant out. why? you get the kill point and your opponant gets sent back to the respawn point.

(disclaimer: all of this comes from my experience in using an m79 and does reflect the opinions of others.)

carry on the with the discussion, agree or disagree. or, if you really don't have anything better to do with your time, flame away ;)

Frosty
September 5, 2003, 1:01 am
What an excellent guide!

Do you think that the m79's range should be increased any?

Kamikaze_Ninja
September 5, 2003, 1:38 am
Hi morpheus I just played u on dnagames and u with ur m79 and me with my knife/ak/nade great match and that last game was intense so much fun good games ^_^

Optik
September 5, 2003, 1:42 am
leave the damn range alone ..
lol
i and most pro m79ers had a lot of trouble adapting to new ranges over time even small increase or decrease makes a huge change in aiming so just leve it alone pls lol

morpheus
September 5, 2003, 2:13 am
frosty:

if i could change only one thing, it would be the self inflicted kills / damage, for the simple fact that with that in the game play, you really do have to much of a limit on range. to far away, you miss the shot. to close, you kill yourself.

kami:

yeah that was a good game. and you're pretty good (annoying) with those autos :)

Aquillion
September 5, 2003, 2:58 am
I like the M79 the way it is now (except for the 'firing blanks' problem, which I assume is a bug.)

It used to have a longer range; then it was very overused, and many people made the same complaints about it that have been raised about the Barret today. Ever since the change, it seems to get about as much use as most other weapons; it become a quirky 'different' weapon that people use for fun, not power.

Now, I just have to hope that one day I'll be making a similar speech about the Barret. [:P]

NightCabbage
September 5, 2003, 3:10 am
I find the m79 pretty damn good.

Only down side is that lots of people call it a n00b gun :P

It's a good skill weapon if used in a non-n00b way. Some of the shots that you can pull of can't be done with any other weapons.

But just because it's a one shot kill gun all the n00bs call it a n00b gun, little do they realise that there's no real n00b gun... n00bs ^_^ lol

BMF
September 5, 2003, 3:17 am
m79 is a good weapon, but does not stand a chance against say DEagles or barret

Retribution
September 5, 2003, 3:20 am
Yes it does!I have killed plenty of experienced barreters with m79 all you need to know is how to move and aim fast

sanity
September 5, 2003, 5:00 am
m79 > *

i liked the old m79 best but the new one is ok i guess just dont change it because of what optik said. once the m79 is changed in any way its like being a n00b again until you get used to it (which can take a long time).

by the way any gun can be a n00b gun if it is used by a n00b. just because some n00bs like to use the m79 doesnt mean they are good at it. its piss easy to kill m79 n00bs anyway coz of the fairly long reload time, they just stand there and wait to be killed.

Blazero
September 5, 2003, 6:38 pm
outcast, how was that called? search & destroy? ;)

Blazero
September 5, 2003, 6:40 pm
outcast, how was that called? search & destroy? ;)

Outcast
September 5, 2003, 7:19 pm
mmm....double post asking me somethn when i didnt even post here, but anyway hello mister blaze from mexico, i remember you ;)
btw...i wrote all of this stuff in some discussion of barret :P

Here is the 1on1 tactic for the m79 :
This is what i call Beyond Reach, it's a tehnique of dueling i've perfected over the months of playing :
The concept is simple, use the m79's arcing ability, never go into the line of fire unless the dude is reloading so you get an easy kill, always fire from shelter, move constantly. That's the simple version :)

i dont remember the seach and destroy thingie blaze mentioned mmm...i did wrote somethn about it like 8 months ago heh

that fuking sniper
September 6, 2003, 7:19 am
quote:Originally posted by BMF
m79 is a good weapon, but does not stand a chance against say DEagles or barret

Your making the mistake of judging weapn vs weapon rather than player vs player, its not the gun, its the guy who uses it.

And Morpheus, the M79 isnt the only weapon capable of damaging its user, every weapon can, its all a matter of making your own bullets hit you. You can kill yourself with a barret on some INF maps by firing it straight up and letting it fall on you...You can also try HK, and spas on pretty much enywhere where the roof isnt close enough to stop the bullets from falling down on your head.

eyic
September 6, 2003, 8:09 am
how r u supposed to kill ur self with a chainsaw and a stationary gun.....

Social Poison
September 6, 2003, 8:10 am
Oh give me a chance, I'll find a way.

macce
September 6, 2003, 7:26 pm
Morph: You got the style... and the gun *grin*
BMF: It does, but it's all a matter of timing, luck and aim... And a little soccoming afterwards

?
September 6, 2003, 7:53 pm
sp that was funny hop to it=P o and as a m79 user, yeah i get all the m79 noob crap, besides that and the selfhurt thing its a great gun

IRRiTANT
September 7, 2003, 9:33 pm
A good m79er is alot more skilled than a camping barreter. . . . + Some of the shots that you can make with the m79 are truly amazing!

BMF
September 7, 2003, 9:58 pm
thats bull crap. All weapons require skill. I used to run with m79 all the time, and i was GOOD. Yes, you need to count the trajectory, and some shots come out wicked. A good m79 duel is the most beautiful thing.

but barret requires ALOT of skill, not less than m79.

morpheus
September 7, 2003, 10:13 pm

tfs, i know about the self kill with all weapons. i edited my original post to reflect what i was trying to get across. thanks for pointing it out though.

BManx2000
September 7, 2003, 11:10 pm
Yeah, the idea is, the M79 is the only primary you can kill yourself with by accident.

that fuking sniper
September 7, 2003, 11:28 pm
Yes, that I agree with. But a good M79er which some people think wont stand a chance against a good sniper would have to know how to combat a sniper. He would have to lead the sniper around corners and shoot him outside his range. He would make the sniper miss and mess with his aim, and learn when to pop out (when he gets in his down-left or up-right)... And with such a player, weapons only become tools, and the player shapes them, gives them character.

SoldatStriker
September 7, 2003, 11:32 pm
Here's some extra info about the M79 that hasn't been stated in this post yet:

The grenade round it fires is greatly affected by gravity, and as a result, your grenade will fire fastest when shot downward. That's why it's so important that an M79 user fly higher than his opponent-The extra speed acquired from both gravity and the speed of the round itself make for a fast, deadly technique.

Besides killing opponents, you can also do tricks with the M79! Like there's this trick where you turn it into a Magic Wand, and if you wave it over your opponent (while squeezing the trigger), and spout some magic words (like "Die j00 n00b!") then he'll instantly turn into a dead body!

But seriously, it's more than just a grenade launcher. You can use it to perform a disk jump (just like Tribes), and also to move things.

For example, when rushing towards the flag, you can shoot opposite of the flag to knock it towards you, and you can also shoot teammates to give them a boost, not to mention firing it from higher ground for indirect fire.

sanity
September 8, 2003, 3:54 am
i like jumping over opponents and shooting a rocket directly downwards while directly over them then hit the jet boots and if you time it right you do a rocket jump heh.

NightCabbage
September 8, 2003, 4:09 am
Yes, the m79 is a great 'utility' weapon too lol

Good good! =)

BMF
September 8, 2003, 4:17 am
good luck using your "utility tool" while i snipe your asses down

that fuking sniper
September 8, 2003, 7:48 am
Dont need luck :) faliure is found where people dont believe in success, if you dont think the M79 is good, you wont get better with it...

Outcast
September 8, 2003, 2:56 pm
i started using m79 again in CTF's again! Dude! IZ TEH OWNZ!

IRRiTANT
September 8, 2003, 10:43 pm
M79 RoxzORz especially when you make a really neat fly over kill! I think its the most skillful weapon to use, as you need to be able to judge trajoctory e.t.c

Mr G
September 8, 2003, 11:57 pm
to use the m79 is an art...

if someone happens to master this gun at 100% then he would be the coolest player ever, maybe some barret experts could defeat him, but still the m79 gives you such a great "stile"(and how it couldn't, one can have a bloodbath in seconds!!!)

a great quote from Jaz:
quote:
feel the pain,
when i blow your brain,
with the gun o' mine
called M seven nine

NightCabbage
September 9, 2003, 12:05 am
Yea it's pretty bloody good, seriously lol

Owns autos =D ahhahaha

BMF
September 9, 2003, 12:06 am