( search forums )
Making Flame God less pathetic in CTF/INF.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Aquillion
September 8, 2003, 1:29 am
In CTF/INF, Flame God is a pretty pathetic powerup, since it doesn't make you invincible. Now, it really can't make you invincible in those modes, since you could just run up and grab the flag; but it really needs something else to compensate for that loss. At the moment, Flame God is so weak in CTF/INF that most people view that little box as a hazard, not a powerup, something to be avoided at all costs -- even if it means taking a few bullets in the process.

There are several problems with it. First, Flame God lowers your range. This is a big problem with so many people using long-range weapons. Secondly, Flame God does damage slowly -- not very slowly, but slower then a Barret, which is slow enough to get you killed 9 times out of 10. Third, and probably worst of all, Flame God can very easily damage the user; if you try to hurt someone else with it, you'll die first as often as not.

To fix this, I think flame god needs increased range in CTF/INF. It should also be unable to hurt the person who's wielding it; at the moment, it scorches them the instant they aim even remotely downwards, which is waaay too restrictive for an already limited-range weapon. Finally, flame god should reduce the damage you take while you have it -- not invincibility, but enough to soak up a few shots from any weapon.

These things would make Flame God a useful powerup. Of course, some people would still hate it; but for people who hate the idea of a superweapon powerup (which it what I assume flame god is intended to be), it's simple enough to turn it off, or to go somewhere where it's turned off. That's what most servers seem to do now.

These changes would just make it something viable for people who want to use it.

sanity
September 8, 2003, 4:10 am
flamegod really sucks... whats the point having a 'powerup' that sucks?

eyic
September 8, 2003, 4:33 am
I suggest that michal removes Flame God from Sodlat history and replace it with a lightning strike and when u aim and shoto at somone, lightning strks them from the sky MAUAHAH, seriousl its more useful than the lame flame god, oh and the lightnign strike would onl have 1 ammo, IT WONT have a time limit, just 1 ammo, thats that, oh and it should be very accurate and the damage should occour around it no just directly on it.... cool aye :) oh and it doesnt matter if the map has a roof just make the lightnign bolt coem right fro mthe top of the soldier.....

lol i dont beleive it i jsut made this up right now, and i mactually liking it!

Chakra
September 8, 2003, 5:42 am
Why not have it shoot fireballs instead of a stream? This would solve all problems and still let you set your foes alight, without setting fire to yourself and without the short range.

koil
September 8, 2003, 6:25 am
i'm not really a fan of bonuses usually, but i agree that if i see the flame god bonus, i never take it on ctf/inf games (mostly cuz of the range, its too short).
anyway, yea, some tweaking should do the trick.

morpheus
September 8, 2003, 7:08 am
i agree that flamegod is absolutely useless in ctf... and yes, i do avoid it like the plague.

Tweak896
September 8, 2003, 7:58 am
i agree also, i think that fireballs should be added like chakra said. Or maybe switch it with a new power-up. Maybe something like your reload is 2x's as fast or your twice as fast. Or maybe just take it out permanently.

Gaah
September 9, 2003, 7:53 am
How about it sets you alight for that time and doesn't hurt you. when the flames you shoot hit the ground, they stay there and burn for a bit, but if you step on them whilst in flame god, you don't get hurt. Maybe you can shoot fire balls instead of using a flamethrower

Social Poison
September 9, 2003, 10:31 am
Or how about in addition to that turning the damage on turbo so they kill in like... .2 seconds of flamin'

That's be something I'd avoid, for sure.

NightCabbage
September 9, 2003, 12:19 pm
As it is, Flame God (in CTF/INF) really is useless. It gets you killed.

But the general idea is for it to make you more powerful, and although it kinda sometimes works in DM (being invincible and all) it should not be in CTF/INF.

Best case would be to replace it with another powerup.

Shooting fireballs, well they would have to kill in one shot, and even then I'd rather a Barret :P lol

But take the Rambo bow for instance. You're not invincible, so it fits in CTF/INF. You have a powerful weapon (granted, too powerful). Your health regens, which is cool.

That (less powerful weapon) would be a great powerup.

Mr G
September 9, 2003, 9:49 pm
i am just posting here to support the idea of making the flame god bonus an useful one in CTF/INF

Dragon88
September 9, 2003, 10:53 pm
it's awesome for rambomatch! invincibility!

Deleted User
September 9, 2003, 11:46 pm
shooting fireballs... its a mage??? :/, why put the weapon ice? you can freeze the soldier in 5s or 10, you choice :D, what everbody think???

NuZZ
September 10, 2003, 2:56 am
I want the flamer to be a normal weapon which is secondary, or promary, either way, and lower attack a bit, and it would be a good secondary/primary weapon! I think it would be good.

NightCabbage
September 10, 2003, 8:27 am
Well, that's exactly the problem at the moment - it's the worst weapon in Soldat. lol

It's only good when you get invincibility with it =)

LiL_FuKa
September 10, 2003, 10:25 am
It's not even good when you have invincibility, all the others have to do run away from
you. And while the others are getting kills you have to wait like 20 secs so you end up falling behind..

sqweek
September 11, 2003, 1:01 pm
Yeah, they just run away INTO YOUR NADES! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

NightCabbage
September 11, 2003, 2:23 pm
I agree with you fuka, I hate it even in DM :)

BeTeL
September 11, 2003, 4:09 pm
why dont short it of on CTF and make it invincible... so you just get close to the flag b4 it disapears?

swanofnever
September 11, 2003, 5:26 pm
hey,
well, i think the thing is, there is a certain "aesthetic" to soldat, which things like fireballs just don't fit into, you know?

i think the flamethrower _idea_ is good, it just doesn't work in practise for ctf; to repeat above suggestions, i think the only thing that needs to be changed is:

-MUCH more damage (to compensate for range)
-players can't be hurt by their own flames

i don't think the range should be increased as it IS a flamethrower.. not a long-range weap.

raigan

pyth
September 11, 2003, 5:52 pm
I can't stand flamethrower either. Turned it off on my server. It's a nice option you should use if you dont like a weapon / powerup. Just turn it off instead.