( search forums )
Error loading texture & blank screen
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
tfga
September 14, 2003, 12:20 pm
Im trying to run Soldat on Windows 2000 Pro, I have SP4 and all the latest patches, DirectX 9 and latest drivers for my graphics card.

Unfortunately my hardwares not as good - AMD K6-2 400MHz, 256MB RAM and an old ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 4MB, everything seems to be working on the card (tv tuner etc.) and _all_ the DirectX tests in dxdiag pass perfectly and other DX games run.

I used to play Soldat on this same machine ages ago with an older version and Windows ME, but i cant get it to work anymore, i installed the latest version and the fix but if i start it in hardware mode i get the following error (disabling the intro so i go right to the menu):

"Error loading texture: C:\Soldat\SPARKS-GFX\EXPLOSION\SMOKE1.BMP"

I tried renaming the explosion folder for a sec to see what would happen and instead of SMOKE1.BMP, it couldnt load EXPLODE1.BMP.

I also tried re-installing with and with out the fix and to a different location _and_ downloading the whole game again from another mirror. I even tried renaming the folders and file in the message to upper-case just to see if that would help!

But the error keeps comming up and then after clicking ok, the program quits

if i set force software mode then the menu loads ok without the error and i can select a map etc. However when i start the game i just get a blank screen with the game sounds playing in the background, the program hasnt crashed i can fire etc and quit with alt-f4.

Ive tried disabling hardware acceleration in windows and ive tried every combination of options in the soldat config, including the old ATI cards fix. Ive disabled any extra options - particles etc and tried running with a different resolution (bit depth is 16bit on both desktop and game settings) and without full-screen mode.

Last i tried un-installing the latest ATI drivers, but it still doesnt work. I've searched this forum and there are other people with the texture problem and the blank screen problem but non of them have been fixed, can anyone help please?

Element_101
September 14, 2003, 2:33 pm
Hey I got a post almost the same right under this one casue im havin the exact same problem with our other comp. The machine is an old pentuim 1 64mb ram vodo bannchie 3D card(16mb) It used to have windows 2000 on it but then We decided to format the comp and put windowns 98 back on it to see if it owuld run better. The game used to work fine until we formated it.

After we formated it and had windowns 98 back on it we went to play soldat and it comes up with the error mesasge (Error loading texture: C:\SOLDAT\WEAPONS.EFX\MINIGUN.CLIP.BMP). Its not the file MINIGUN-CLIP.BMP because we got the exact same file through the network from our good comp that runs it good as and itstill dident work.

Its not the place we downloaded it either because like i said we downloaded it to the good comp that runs it nice!!. I have tryed the same things as tfga and its just not working if ya need more info or something just post.

omegaomriri
September 14, 2003, 4:30 pm
i had the same problem , I install the game agen and it fixed, but now i have other problen, whan i start a game the screen is black, they tall me here to pot the software mode off but whan it off , i lanch soldat and thare is a error "your video card not support directx 8 , download lastest drivers to your video card, now software mode will be on..."
and i have the sme card like you "Ati 3d rage pro (4 mb)[xx(]" yours "in all in wonder" edition

Haro1121
September 14, 2003, 5:33 pm
see what terrorists get damn Afghanistanians, anyways try deleteing ur old soldat folder and getting it from a different mirror sometimes when u install soldat it does not overwrite some files maybe NC could help u a little better night cabbage were are ya

NightCabbage
September 15, 2003, 1:59 am
Old video cards tend to have these kind of problems.

Many of them lack support for new versions of DirectX.

Also they usually have rather low memory amounts...

Haro1121
September 15, 2003, 3:59 am
what he said :P, i bought a new video card and i sometimes still have problems. shows wut i get for buying a video card brand ive never heard of i was gonna get a ATI but they didnt have any in my City so i was to lazy to go to another city.

Element_101
September 15, 2003, 5:16 am
So what your saying is that we need to get a new video card?

But what I still dont get is that It used to work untilwe formated it and put wins 98 back on it how come it worked when windows 2000 was on it

This problem wont mean any thing but also in dxdiag It says that the 3d card is only 15mb when its really a 16mb

Please is some one gonna moderate this or what!!!!!?

Night cabbage your in Austalia cool!!!!

tfga
September 15, 2003, 6:03 pm
just an update - i tried installing the latest 4in1 drivers from VIA which usually fix lots of random problems, didnt work :( right now im trying to download soldat 1.1.4, yes im desparate to play it, even if its just off-line! i have one of those urges...

Grit
September 16, 2003, 11:24 pm
I have Ati Pro rage 3d too, but it works fine with me.

NightCabbage
September 17, 2003, 9:19 am
Well, one of my theories (and it's just a theory) is that when you start Soldat up, it tries to load all of the textures into your video card's memory. Because you only have 16MB it runs out.

This explains why it's random in occurance, and why it chokes on different files sometimes. In which case, there isn't really much of a fix :/

However, just having different drivers may be quite able to fix the problem. Perhaps the drivers for win2k worked better.

Grit, can you tell me what drivers you use with your Rage 3d?