( search forums )
Linux Dedictated
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
Ender
September 15, 2003, 1:11 am
Me and maka will maybe make a linux dedictated server for soldat and some other games primarily for a LAN party but maybe also for WAN if it works allright, anyway i have some questions:

- what linux distribution (that is free) is best?! where can i download?

- what are the minimal system requirements for linux dedictated? are they lower then normal soldat? (i've this old pc that doesn't run directx 8 or higher but maybe it will run soldat linux dedictated?!) otherwise i will use another computer

- how do i set linux to use a netowrk? any special linux settings i should mind to have a succesfull server behind a network?! (i know how to map the ports to the linux computer) what aobut linux firewalls?

pyth
September 15, 2003, 11:31 am
hahahah, jeez. all those questions and your gonna make a linux dedicated server for soldat? I'm sorry, but i really doubt that :/

Ender
September 15, 2003, 8:16 pm
WHY? jeez if you wouldn't have been such a n00b you would know i'm one of teh more ancient & loyal soldat players in this [:-censored]ing game...

did you ever even PLAYED the game fgs?

pyth
September 16, 2003, 1:57 pm
yeah, i've been told you are the soldat-god. what in earth does playing soldat have to do with porting the dedicated server to linux? :(

Ender
September 16, 2003, 10:26 pm
well you seem to doubt i want to make a soldat server but i'm not some n00b who actually doesn't even play soldat but only asks in this forum while actually trying to make a CS server.

and the portmapping isn't the problem, it's setting up linux for the network + deciding what distribution i need to use!

so please help k thanks

technician
September 25, 2003, 4:07 pm
Here's what I suggest you do:

Download the latest Mandrake linux distro (I believe it's at ver. 9.1 now). It is very simple to install, easy to configure to whatever network you have setup, and is powerful.

I've been using linux for a few years now, and Mandrake is one of the easiest distros to install and use. I'm setting up a dedicated linux server for my clan right now, though I'm using slack (my current favorite).

toadsMoke
September 26, 2003, 4:26 pm
Ender, I think you first need to find a linux help forum. this forum is for soldat-specific problems. you're problem is setting up a linux system, not how to install soldat.
setup the linux system, then come back.
we'll help you setup your network and getting a soldat server running.