( search forums )
LAGGG!! ping
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
LiL_FuKa
September 17, 2003, 7:59 pm
I was just wondering here. WHY IS THERE SO MUCH F*CKIN LAG ON SOLDAT?![:(!] I've played games like " Age of Empires" and there was never any lag.

In games like that you have 200 soldiers each, and the graphics are much more detailed, and there was never any lag, well unless you have a modem. But the thing is I never lagged with my connection I always had great ping, and now with the same connection with a much less detailed game and much less movement etc my lag is amazing!

Can someone please tell me why? Cos it's doing my head in.

IRRiTANT
September 17, 2003, 11:12 pm
Ages of Empires was a slow paced game, 200 milli second made little difference to the gameplay therefore you never noticed the lag, Soldat is a fast pased action game where 200 milliseconds is a [relativly] long time which can affect the gameplay, therefore you notice the lag. . . .

NightCabbage
September 18, 2003, 10:29 am
Why strategy games don't lag:

First of all, graphics detail does not matter. Not in the slightest. ALl of the graphics are handled on your own computer.

Secondly, they are not action games, and so don't need to update as often.

eg. StarCraft on extra high latency only updated every 2 seconds. It had a whole 2 seconds to send the data back and forth.

All of the action is handled by AI, and so can be compensated for fairly easily.

LiL_FuKa
September 19, 2003, 10:07 am
Irritant- There was some lag sometimes on age of empires, but rarely. If there was lag you would deffinately notice it, the soldiers would stopping in their paces all the time (like soldat)

Cabbage- I guess it makes sense what you said, so thanks. The game did lag on my old computer more often but I think that was the processor's fault. I suppose since you see a lot of movement at one time (age of empires is overview) it has time to send the data back and fouth) Rather Soldat, the screen is constantly changing.

Thanks guys.

DeepII
September 20, 2003, 7:54 pm
I have a lot of lags in Soldat. I don't know how much lag is in other Shooters like UT2k3 or BF42. So, my question is: Has Soldat more lags than UT2k3 or other Shooters???

NightCabbage
September 21, 2003, 10:39 am
Yes and no. Most people believe it does, however this is most likely due to the servers.

But there are definately some issues reguarding lag/anti-lag, etc.

IRRiTANT
September 21, 2003, 5:33 pm
In few few tests I did [yes, I was very bored!] I had a ping of around 100 milli seconds higher in Soldat than I did in Quake 3.

CardBoardWarrior
September 21, 2003, 6:59 pm
Ive never had any lag on Soldat except for connection problems. But ive always wondered, how do people with modems play without being lagged to hell? Actually they probably are, but how can they play like that?

Optik
September 21, 2003, 7:21 pm
well if i remmber soldat uses UDP protocol or sum [:-censored] while others use TCP/IP if this was crrect and if it still is 5 months later :P

Hanz
September 21, 2003, 9:37 pm
Actually I am noticing that my pings are a little lower in soldat! I play games like day Of Defeat and Counter Strike and my pings are always about 150-200...in soldat mine are about 100-150, noy much of a difference but it is there. I have a cable modem by the way!

NightCabbage
September 22, 2003, 12:30 am
ok, I propose a test!

A test to end all lag debates!!!

Here's how it goes (nice and easy)

Someone make a Soldat server.

Then some people test out the ping, and write it down or something.

Then the server shutsdown, and makes a Quake 3 server (or whatever)

Then the same people join that and write down their pings.

Then post them all here.

Try it out with a few games.

The pings should be practically the same...

BManx2000
September 22, 2003, 1:31 am
I think the main problem is that the anti-lag generally screws it up instead of helping. Consider: In the S:S servers, where I get usaully <100 ping, plus the "anti-lag", ALL my hits with the barret should kill. And ALL the shots I slightly miss should not.
But they don't.
See the problem with this picture?

NightCabbage
September 22, 2003, 1:40 am
Yes, but without the anti-lag, you would always have to lead

Gaso
September 22, 2003, 5:19 am
I think soldat lagged more when tha 1.05b was, or something, when that was wasnt even good servers so much ... Now we have pretty good stuff here so just try to be happy or somethin...
I dont like lag either but just keep going....

The Second One
September 22, 2003, 12:36 pm
BF1942 is probably the worst lagger.. huge ping+my normal fps is like 100, in bf1942 it drops down to 15! :D

NightCabbage
September 23, 2003, 1:00 am
Again I stress that ping and framerate are pretty much unrealated, except in the case of the server.