( search forums )
Does anyone play Soldat with a trackball?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Frosty
September 17, 2003, 9:10 pm
[URL]

I think it would be odd at first, but might improve accuracy over time. *shrug*

SILENT
September 18, 2003, 1:25 am
I use tracking ball...its really good, but it takes a day or so to get good used to

N1nj@
September 18, 2003, 2:53 am
lol, is hard to use track ball man...lol.

i rather stick to my optical mouse :P

R
September 18, 2003, 2:57 am
wait i dont quite get it...is it like a regular mouse but with an added ball on it? and what does the tracker ball do? *confused*

Kamikaze_Ninja
September 18, 2003, 3:21 am
no it's not a mouse it works kinda like a mouse but the ball is sticking out the other way and you move the ball to move the cursor.

Social Poison
September 18, 2003, 3:32 am
Right.

Generally people who use it are afraid of getting carpel tunnel (sp).

The "mouse" itself doesn't move. You move the trackball with your thumb and that moves the mouse (kinda like old school arcade games).

BTW I think soldat would VERY difficult with one of those.

BMF
September 18, 2003, 4:47 am
trackball sucks, its only for blind people

Kamikaze_Ninja
September 18, 2003, 5:37 am
lol what does the track ball have to do with blind ppl?!? i dont think blind ppl use a mouse since they can't see the monitor lol. They could have braille keyboards but no mouse.

BMF
September 18, 2003, 5:46 am
yeah i guess

xXShavoXx
September 18, 2003, 6:02 am
lol, the intelligence here is overwhelming!! ¬_¬

Actually, I used to play Counter-Strike with a trackball. Not very exciting... :/

Meandor
September 18, 2003, 9:16 am
Yeah i think it would be awful. Get a mouse from here instead http://www.razerzone.com/ that's my mouse, just that i got it for free =) . It's one of the best for gaming.

palloco
September 18, 2003, 9:33 am
Trackballs rock!
I use a 8 years old Logitech Trackball Marble and it runs perfect. There is no better mouse than mine :).

NightCabbage
September 18, 2003, 10:07 am
Touch pads are IMPOSSIBLE to play with lol

Seriously :)

Oh, and btw, after you get used to it (apparently) a trackball is much better than a mouse.

But I like my mousey ^_^

AerialAssault
September 18, 2003, 7:08 pm
trackballs suxors

DeepII
September 18, 2003, 7:46 pm
I always use trackball!!! I use it since i'm 5 years old!!! I can play with a normal mouse but i think everybody here could kill me if i use one...

my trackball is now like 5 years old...

btw, I WANT 1.1.6[:-weepn]!!!

enjoyincubus
September 18, 2003, 10:22 pm
I don't play with any balls...mice were not meant to be controlled by their round pieces! I was thinking of trying out a trackball-type device the other day, but anything that makes me have to change my ways is a bad thing IMO...

I'm an obvious user of the less primitive technology known by it's little red laser lights...the optical mouse...:P

BMF
September 19, 2003, 1:52 am
yeah, i have Microsoft optical. Very nice mouse. Microsoft makes good mouses btw

muzzmastah
September 19, 2003, 2:11 am
logitech mx300 baby, yeah... but you have to disable the little button in the center because your finger keeps hitting it and switching programs... not good for NOLF 2... but otherwise its a good mouse. My dad likes trackballs, and when i was little i loved to use his ^_^

BManx2000
September 19, 2003, 3:37 am
I have a regular logitech optical mouse with a scrollwheel. I tell ya, the scrollwhell was the best thing that ever happened to mice! (Well except opticalness). I'm using it now. Plus, it functions as a third button. ALL HAIL TEH SCR011WH331!!!!!1ONE!

palloco
September 19, 2003, 9:19 am
Microsoft sux

DeepII
September 19, 2003, 2:16 pm
Wich company is your mouse from??? my is from logitech...great mouse!

btw, still want 1.1.6[:D]

sqweek
September 19, 2003, 4:08 pm
My friend uses a trackball for gaming... he [:-censored]en rocks.
Personally, I'm a cheap ass and prefer to resolder my 4 year old ball-mouse than buy a new one :p

Frosty
September 19, 2003, 4:11 pm
I'm in the market for a new keyboard and mouse, so I figured I would ask.

I'm probably just going to get a plain old optical from logitech or something.

Maybe one day I'll try a trackball.

RuFIo_2Wai_
September 20, 2003, 6:06 am
i like my mouse... a $30 IBM optical from k-mart, it has served me well for the past year and a half, and it is a good size. I really suggest it, IBM makes great mice, and it comes with 5 year warentee. I suggest go to k-mart and check it out :P

palloco
September 20, 2003, 9:07 am
5 years warranty...
My graphic card beats that. 10 years warranty!

NightCabbage
September 20, 2003, 11:11 am
MicroSoft make the best mice ^_^

gonark
September 24, 2003, 11:32 pm
Track Balls mouses rock very good choice

gonark
September 24, 2003, 11:33 pm
LOGITECH!!! RULES wOOT

Middlemoor
September 25, 2003, 8:14 am
I have an A4 Tech Mini Optical 3DMouse

NightCabbage
September 25, 2003, 9:23 am
heh, only 2 buttons + wheel :P lol

Alamo
September 25, 2003, 4:11 pm
Oy Hi Guyz! I have a Microsoft Optical Trackball (You control the ball with the fingers... The thumb is my trigger finger) I play EVERYTHING with it... And I'm quite good with it... I never really played with a normal mouse... I began with a Trackball... I will finish with a Trackball. I can play with a normal mouse... but I actually LOVE my Trackball :) Noone will convince me... I play CS and Soldat with my TB and I like it :)

CardBoardWarrior
September 25, 2003, 8:33 pm
Mice are about the only thing microsoft makes well. Apple's are a much better OS. Only too bad Soldat wont work on it. Or will it?

Hitman
September 25, 2003, 9:15 pm
Yeah that is what I have been thinking about aswell(I am getting the 17inch Powerbook...and a Semi Proffesional Camcorder, for practice cause I am going to film school next year 'The New York Film Academy') However if you get Virtual PC on your Mac then it should work. But it would be cool if there would be a version for Mac, but that would mean more work for Mike.

BMF
September 25, 2003, 10:04 pm
CBW, you are a complete moron. Macintosh makes the crappiest OS. Win XP that i have works fine, never freezes, supports everything there is, best deal for your money.

Operating Sytems 101:
-- If you are an average user, you play games and type papers in MS Word (like i do), get Windows
-- If you run medium size servers, use Linux. Windows just doesnt cut it
-- If you are gay (like CBW) and you like transparent monitors and one-button mouse (gayest thing ever created), get yourself a Mac.

I am sure one smart ass is gonna read this and say: "BMF your idiot, mac is da best for graphics and stuff.." A small fact for you, mr. stupid. Adobe announced that they will not port their products on OSX anymore. One positive thing about Macs is gone.

Macs are crap and they must die. Hitman, you are gay too

Frosty
September 25, 2003, 10:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by BMF
-- If you are gay (like CBW) and you like transparent monitors and one-button mouse (gayest thing ever created), get yourself a Mac.

HAHAHA [8D]

NightCabbage
September 26, 2003, 12:36 am
Thank goodness! Someone with some sense! lol

"Apple's are a much better OS"
EVIL STATEMENT!!!

"Macintosh makes the crappiest OS."
GOOOOOOD STATEMENT! ^_^

OSX is crap. Sorry, but it is. lol. It's crap.

Hitman
September 26, 2003, 9:03 am
What the hell are you talking about Mac is better. It is know to be much more stable than Xp and plus windows stole the Icon concept off Mac. Also the new OSX is extremely compatible with windows. I know why you guys think that it is crap, becuase Mac versions of games come out a couple of months after the Windows ones.

Oh and BMF...SHUT THE HELL UP.

NightCabbage
September 26, 2003, 10:08 am
First of all, I wou,ld just like to remind you that everyone is entitled to their opinions. And that is indeed all that they are. (so keep it friendly ;)

ok, I have used OSX since the beginning of this year.

First impressions were - "ooooooo pretty" - It looks nice. But after a few hours of use, you end up disabling all of those pretty features, coz they get in the way, and lower the productivity of any power user.

Apple likes things to be different. And so, they put everything on the opposite side when compared to Windows. For example, the close, minimise, and maximise buttons are on the left.

Instead of having a nice, logical workspace, with everything in a nice easily accessible order, the also decided to use their old menu system, where there is a menu up the top of the screen, similar to the "File, Edit, etc." menu in Windows. But there is only one, and that one is for ALL windows. As a replacement for the taskbar/start menu there is a little 'dock', which you can move around, etc. When you open a program, a little icon pops up. Then you open a window in the program (for IE, etc.). When you want to close internet explorer, you can't even click the little cross in the corner. Oh no, if you do that, all you'll do is close the window that it's in. It will still be open... So you have to then Right-Click on the icon in the dock, and close it.

And if you have multiple windows open? Hah, then you have to right click on the icon in the dock and select the window you want from a list...

All of this just doesn't suit how I work. It slows me down.

Now, Hitman, as I said earlier, this is just a matter of opinion, and that is my opinion. For me personally, it makes me a lot slower than I am on a PC (especially mine ^^) :P lol

Just as an example, here is the kinda stuff I like to be able to do on my compy:

[IMAGE]

palloco
September 26, 2003, 10:23 am
My statements:
1-Mac is crap
2-Mac Os is a good OS, but with how many computers must it be compatible? Few Mac models(therefore it is worst than other OS), while both Mocosoft and Linux must be compatible with the whole world of PCs. That is the reason why it may be more stabler than Windows (and certainly Windows was created following Mac OS and OS/2 developments). But why then simple people do not buy MAc?
3-Mac is expensive. With same characteristics a Mac costs double money. Therefore statement 1
The only reason why some people still used Mac was either graphical development with Photoshop(someone said there is no more support from Adobe) or design(had you seen the latest towers for PC?). Therefore gain statement 1.
BMF talks crap, but when he is right he is right.

Otherwise my Penguin Tux will annihilate any non-Linux users

sqweek
September 26, 2003, 3:20 pm
haha guess what?
OSX IS Unix.

NightCabbage: get a browser that supports tabbed browsing (eg, mozilla [firebird]) :)

Hitman
September 26, 2003, 3:54 pm
quote:But why then simple people do not buy MAc?

(a teacher who uses Mac in my school told me this)The stupid thing that Mac did was they did not licence their software to Computer manufactors. However windows did, which made windows the default OS for the industry, which of course means for home use. That is why alot of people and companies do not buy Mac cause is not the default or number one OS.

If Mac had licenced their software to Computer manufactors then Windows would have never had stood a Chance...and thats a fact. So whatever twat stoped Mac being licenced to computer manufacters, needs a good punch in the face.

Also (as you said NightCabbage, a matter of opinion) the new range of mac computers have come top in many polls...Such as in the magazine stuff (all about electronics and stuff) Mac has the top Laptop, Desktop and Music Player(ipod). Plus they are sexy as hell.[;)]

TSP G-Unit
September 26, 2003, 5:03 pm
dude macs suck. u can only open like three files at once and it still freezes. ive seen some where u close the file ur playin music on but it still plays lol. no what u need is an alienware. its like trying to beat a dung beatle to a pile of smoldering rhino crap.

Fusion
September 26, 2003, 6:57 pm
i tried a trackball i didnt care for it tho

BMF
September 26, 2003, 10:33 pm
Macs suck for many reasons listed above. Mainly:

-- Weird ass interface (read NC's post). I cant understand how a person with a normal sense of reality could code something like this. They had to be smoking something. I had Macs at school, we have a couple of MAcs at work to work with photos. I mean it took me like 20 min (i am not joking) to figure out how to get the CD out of the machine. And I am very not stupid. Its just to open it, you have to drag the CD shortcut from your desktop, into the Recycle bin!!!!! I mean WTF. And its filled with stuff like that.

-- Macs crash like no other. They crash like crazy. They dont back up files. AT ALL. After a MAc, Win XP is like a breath of fresh air.

-- The one-buttoned mouse. My god, i hate the mouse. Its just gay

Linux has a horrible graphic interface. It takes like 20 min to install a game. But if you like screwing around with DOS-like prompt, its for you. Its free and its best for medium size servers.
But i am sticking to Windows.

NightCabbage
September 27, 2003, 4:24 am
squeek - I like having easy access to my windows :) lol tabs r evul lol

And BMF - ain't it funny how to eject your CD you have to drag it to the trash can!?!? rofl!

palloco
September 27, 2003, 2:33 pm
quote:
Linux has a horrible graphic interface. It takes like 20 min to install a game.

It seems you had not used Linux too much. Linux does not have a graphical interface, it has many... or none if you prefer. It took me 4 hours to install a game in Windows so do not give examples. In Linux everything is usually compressed and if not it is much faster than windows

BMF
September 27, 2003, 3:33 pm
i am not saying its faster or slower. Its just harder to installs something on Linux. If it took you 4 hours to install a game on Windows, you are stupid.

NC, i have no freaking idea who could have thought of something like that. Its so sick and twisted =)

palloco
September 27, 2003, 10:25 pm
LOL BMF, had you ever heard of files .uha or .rpm? Then do not talk about that.

Cr4cK
September 27, 2003, 11:26 pm
Mwhaha trax ball sux! Optical rulez! i have an ligitech Mx300

Hitman
September 27, 2003, 11:42 pm
I love the occasionally posts from people trying to get back to the Topic.

Macs rule. The new G5 is the worlds fastest, most powerful personal computer, Hah beat that (*mocking voice*) 'Windows'. And the stuff about not being able to open three things at once, that is the biggest pile of S**T I have heard (no affence TSP G-Unit).

Man, a Mac could take on any of your 'Windows' computers and kick their ass!

BManx2000
September 28, 2003, 1:52 am
Well, Microsoft doesn't make computers, so you really can't blame them. :P Apple has to make their computers super-ppoweful or there's no reason anybody would buy the damn things.

BMF
September 28, 2003, 6:17 am
Yes, BManx is right. Macs make their own hardware and their own software. Microsoft does not make hardware at all.

"Man, a Mac could take on any of your 'Windows' computers and kick their ass!"

Hitman, do you understand that Macintosh is a company, and Windows is an operating system? Macintosh produces everything from monitors to CPUs to spearker. Microsoft makes mice and operating systems. They have no control over how powerful the computers are.

NightCabbage
September 28, 2003, 12:56 pm
crack - you know you can get optical trackball mice ;)

BMF and pall - ahahahahahahaha :)

bman - remember the xbox? that's practically a computer :P
and my friend's crashes all the time :P lol but then there was that time where he did drop it... ;)

Also, just out of interest >;)

"Man, a Mac could take on any of your 'Windows' computers and kick their ass!"

Actually, when you consider the fact that Microsoft has to make their software run on thousands of combinations of hardware, and Apple has to make their software run on, hmmmmmmm, one, to which they can then make their OS specifically for this configuration - it suddenly looks crap. lol

You see, every time when I click on a program on a MAC and it makes me wait 5 seconds to open, I just think to myself "bah, this is shit" ;)

Because the hardware must be truly, truly crap. It runs a pretty interface nicely, but it takes much longer to simply open a program when compared to a PC.

hehe ^^ this debate is fun!

DJ Adolf
September 28, 2003, 2:08 pm
The G5 specs are [:-censored]ing awesome, but in practice they are sh.it. I hate all macintosh OS' and opening programs takes a few days. It does kind of remind me of the Xbox :/ Xbox = good in theory (specs), but sh.it games, therefore = sh.it

palloco
September 28, 2003, 2:46 pm
G5 sux, Virtual Pc is not compatible with it.

DJ Adolf
September 28, 2003, 2:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by palloco
G5 sux, Virtual Pc is not compatible with it.

Oh really? You learn something new every day...

but, yes, G5's suck. I would never even consider to buy one.

BMF
September 28, 2003, 8:51 pm
"You see, every time when I click on a program on a MAC and it makes me wait 5 seconds to open, I just think to myself "bah, this is [:-censored]" ;)"

NC, how did you manage to put the [:-censored] word in there?

palloco
September 29, 2003, 9:52 am
He is GOD here, so he decides what can be put and what cannot.

NightCabbage
September 29, 2003, 12:09 pm
Just call it moderator privs ^^

Yes, IBM's little PowerPC looks quite nice, but it'll prolly suck when it in one of those horrible boxes :P

ewwwww *shudders*

Hitman
September 30, 2003, 5:12 pm
quote:Adobe announced that they will not port their products on OSX anymore. One positive thing about Macs is gone

Um BMF the Apple website just announced the release of the new Adobe Creative Suite[^]: http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/adobe/

So...you were saying

BMF
September 30, 2003, 8:02 pm
i take back what i said. One positive thing about Macs is still there. YAY!

Hitman
October 1, 2003, 9:23 am
Good. So we're cool...

palloco
December 22, 2003, 1:55 pm
Argh, I tried a normal mouse and it sucks even more than me, it stops moving constantly.

PS: It is nice to revive old threads

Mr G
December 22, 2003, 6:47 pm
no, no lo es

(no, it is not)

kevith
December 22, 2003, 6:58 pm
that's why you have to use an optical mouse. No skipping.