( search forums )
Tree-Maker-Guide!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Killa Gorilla
November 14, 2002, 9:23 pm
as some people desired to know how to make trees as seen on my maps (you'll find them just one topic below) i desided to make a simple tree making page. here you go:

http://server2043.virtualave.net/syndicate1/trees.htm

have fun with these trees :)

ps
you don't have to ask for my permission if you want to use the trees as shown on your maps. just do it! i'm glad if i can share my ideas with this great soldat community!

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 14, 2002, 11:03 pm
tree maker master explains his secrets :) yay

DNA.styx
November 14, 2002, 11:05 pm
nice one Killa Gorilla, thanks for sharing

Flanagan
November 14, 2002, 11:18 pm
It's nice to see people sharing things with the comunity
:):):)

Disco Dan
November 15, 2002, 9:54 pm
lol, it's done really well.

It's just that it's too much room to hide in. You should fill the insides of the tree with polygons instead of more green stuff, so you can actually jump ontop of the tree.

Killa Gorilla
November 15, 2002, 11:22 pm
i made them trees out of ceiling stuff so you can actually fly through them. if you make em solid the action amount of the level would sink. you know i wanted action levels and not such where you can hide or get stocked in a tree because of the poligon holes (known problem) or smth like this stuff. you said smth about hiding behind the trees. but how long can you stay in the air doing this?

but... i mean... fell free to do anything you want with the trees. they are yours!

it still would nice if you mensioned me in the map credits :)

RoVeRken
November 15, 2002, 11:25 pm
humz you can also use polygons, which i think still gives the nicest effect, and make them walk-trough able

Killa Gorilla
November 15, 2002, 11:35 pm
how do you make polygons walk throuable? with the map maker pro? but then you can't actualy change the map anymore and compile it. i.e. you CAN change the map and you CAN compile it but then the walk throuable polygons wouldn't be walkthrouable anymore! you certanly know what i mean don't you?

and what does humz mean anyway?

Apro
November 16, 2002, 4:05 pm

What? And I've been scrolling the scenery board up and down for hours to find "the tree" scenery [:-dunce]... Just kidding... Change the polys walkthroughable after compiling, save and DO NOT compile again... That way you they stay like that.

Kahuna-CorlanMcD
November 16, 2002, 5:05 pm
Nice Kill [:)]

Meitzi
November 16, 2002, 6:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by Killa Gorilla
how do you make polygons walk throuable? with the map maker pro? but then you can't actualy change the map anymore and compile it. i.e. you CAN change the map and you CAN compile it but then the walk throuable polygons wouldn't be walkthrouable anymore! you certanly know what i mean don't you?
Wrong. If you make walkthrouable with EditPro them really are that. No matter if you compile, edit with mapmaker or what, they still throuable.

Apro
November 16, 2002, 6:13 pm

???

Actually in one of my maps I DID make them walkthroughable and after compiling the map, some of them stayed like that, but not all... I bring you more calculation checking Meitzi [:D]... Ain't I a total ass [:-mischievous]?

Killa Gorilla
November 18, 2002, 9:42 am
that's what i ment.....

Korpisoturi
November 18, 2002, 12:23 pm
I made a map with trees just like Killa´s, but I figured it out myself how to make the trees ;DD. But as a hint, I used stoppers/blockers/bumpers whatever (can´t remember, but the little balls that stop bullets ;)) on the treetops, so you can fly through them, but bullets can´t. So you can take a quick detour through the woods to prevent that nasty flyin´ minigunner from turning you into a swiss cheese on the open :D

RoVeRken
November 19, 2002, 5:00 pm
we've all been there lol :p

Killa Gorilla
November 19, 2002, 10:46 pm
we've all been where?

Killa Gorilla
November 19, 2002, 10:48 pm
ps
i think wasn't... [:)]

sauron_the_deceiver
November 19, 2002, 10:59 pm
the 'blockers', korpisoturi, are called 'colliders'

and the trees could be used to make a large plantation to fight over. okay, whos volunteering....
dont look at me, i cant do waypoints yet!

Killa Gorilla
November 20, 2002, 3:38 pm
nope... you can't use them to make a plantation because they need too much sceenery. as you all know you can only use 130 sceenery gfx (or 120... i'm not sure...).

November 21, 2002, 6:02 pm
just do li'l trees or something, ORRRRRR... do a board with a platform on top, and put some lots lianas on the top and bottom

Killa Gorilla
November 21, 2002, 7:36 pm
what ever...

Apro
November 29, 2002, 8:34 pm
Or you can just wait until new version of EditPro arrives and steal Killa's trees by using the "prefabs" [:D]... Life is cruel... So am I... MUAHAHAHAAA!!!

Killa Gorilla
November 30, 2002, 11:26 am
nope.... you can't steal them! they're free [:)] and btw i've already sent some tree templates to meitzi since he asked for some stuff like this. he wants to include such templates in the next version of editpro. that'll be cool!

Apro
November 30, 2002, 11:40 am
Yeah... Actually the author of prefabs is available, so everyone can see who has made 'em...