( search forums )
multimod visability-modders unite!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Desert Uzi
October 4, 2003, 10:00 pm
more organized post with normal language.

what a title ha? :)

one small promblem on modding soldat graphics, is that no one can see what you have done, unless the mod is installed on his computer.
every player see all the players with the graphics saved on his comp.
an feature that will be nice, and probably will encourage modders to crate better mods and will make the game more clorful, will be if every plyer will see the other players with the graphics that saved on their comp. this option can be set by the server creator.

an idea about how it will work:
when a player joins to the game, the player uploads his graphics temporarily to the server when the server have the graphics, it download them to all the other players as graphics connected to that players, this can include weapons , body parts and effects.
now a player will see the other player with the graphics connected to it that will be saved temporarily on his computer.
invisible people can be somehow handled but a more dangerous problem with this system are viruses.
what do you think?

3rd_account
October 4, 2003, 10:47 pm
Maby if it was an optional thing for the owner of the server to share his stuff, and for the clients to use them.

*EDIT*
Grr, stupid flodcontrol-thingy! Only makes doubleposts and scares you... now i forgot what i was suppose to edit.. :/

sauron_the_deceiver
October 4, 2003, 11:00 pm
Well, if you have any idea of current Soldat modding, you should know that if you turn an entire graphic green its invisible. If you used this system, people could run around without being seen.

Translation: NO

RDrull
October 5, 2003, 1:18 am
So I like the Idia alos that would be cool to run around invisable and If you dont like it go join othere server.

Spitzfiya
October 5, 2003, 3:04 am
RDrull theres the door, use it!
Idiot...

Desert Uzi
October 5, 2003, 8:36 am
OK saurun, but a guy with a criminal mind like me, can now turn scenery like bunker, into outlines. so only he can use it and see all the other campers like he has X-rays. my idea can fix that.

SFCM
October 5, 2003, 8:48 am
lol, id like the idea if people couldnt cheat. :P

Desert Uzi
October 5, 2003, 9:13 am
Now, to make it clear, at the beggining each player upload his graphics to the server. now, the server connect each player with his graphics and the players download all the graphics. to rewind the scenery cheating, it's only needed to be programmed that when a player stands near an object(like a bunker), he triggers it and the object will gain that player's graphics. most of the players will use th default graphics but the scenery cheaters will trigger the buker and it will became outlined. so everybody will see them and they will die. muhahahahahahah!

fUnKy_cHiCkEn_01
October 5, 2003, 9:18 am
does any1 no how 2 contact Michal Marichiniwateva? i need to talk 2 him but how?

R
October 5, 2003, 9:26 am
Lol send him a Private message in the forums or e=mail him. Out of curiosity what do you want to ask him? -Lol-

SFCM
October 5, 2003, 10:21 am
::cough:: j**ps and such is my guess. I love how it has become a dirty word around here.

Element_101
October 5, 2003, 1:23 pm
What if to people have the same thing modded like one person has green explosions and another has

blue???

NuZZ
October 5, 2003, 2:34 pm
Yeah, map downloadabilitie would be great! And player skins, maybe, a ceperate folder for skins, it has all gostek transed, and it can only be open by a certain editor, wich disables use of less than 15-20 diff colours than lime, which means u need say 18 colours black on a full gostek (The gostek is put together on the modder.

sauron_the_deceiver
October 5, 2003, 3:08 pm
Yeah, you have an idea there Nuzz. If skins were made as a special file type, which was made to detect the graphic sizes and disallow anything with the same size and a plain lime bitmap, then it could work.

I have to say that if this idea was implemented, there should be a player-side option to download customised skins, or not. This means that 56k users could switch it off and be happy with the normal Soldat graphics.

[offtopic] I'd like to see a system of making special models for Soldat. Some people may remember my topic about giving Soldat moddability by using plugins a while back. Well if the coding for how people move around was made as a plugin, rather as part of the game coding, people could make their player have a trenchcoat, or something! =O That would rock the kasbah...[/offtopic]

Desert Uzi
October 5, 2003, 3:54 pm
quote:Originally posted by Element_101
What if to people have the same thing modded like one person has green explosions and another has

blue???

this is what i'm trying to tell. let's say that "stanislav" created a blue expsotions and "moshe" created black explosions, now stanislav will see his explosions as blue, moshe's explosions as black and jack's (that don know how to mod, the noob) explosions as standard and boring yellow. yipphi![:P]

Desert Uzi
October 7, 2003, 2:16 pm
is it really that bad?

qazwertred
October 7, 2003, 10:44 pm
1. The upload/download funktion would be great for spreading viruses... somehow some evil-minded people will make it send corrupted files that crashes ur soldat or everything else.
2. This WILL cause lag. If the admin have 2 upload alot of sfx(all sfx = 8mb) 2 alot of people at the same time then all the bandwidth will be used 4 uploading the mods. A solution 2 this would be 2 only allow gfx mods(weapons gfx = 61kb).

This means that I'm against this idea but i agree that it would be great if every1 used 100mbit(or 10mbit) internet and lived in Sweden(or europe).

xXShavoXx
October 7, 2003, 11:25 pm
This is what I think...

Have a seperate folder created within the Soldat directory (something like C:\Soldat\User Skins). Then within that folder there are several sub-directories, each named after the corresponding mod that is in it. The mods would have to be distributed throughout the forums or MSN or whatever, thus eliminating lag and the threat of viruses substantially (yet the convieniences of it uploading automatically).

So basically what I am saying is in order to see other people's mods, they'll have to send them to you and be placed within that User Skins folder. If the files/folders are named differently, then the user will just look like he/she is using the default gostek.

This brings me to another point. Maybe Michal can include a drop down menu with all of the user skins that are placed within this folder, allowing us to switch mods whenever we feel the need.

juice _ box
October 8, 2003, 12:25 am
I think That only gostek should be shown because if you were to download weapons and such how would you know which weapon is which after dropped? :P

Kamikaze_Ninja
October 8, 2003, 1:18 am
Juice has got a point there and will u use their weapon's gfx when u pick theirs up or will it magically turn into ur own gfx lol.

xXShavoXx
October 8, 2003, 3:20 am
quote:...then the user will just look like he/she is using the default gostek
That's what I meant.

NightCabbage
October 10, 2003, 2:07 am
Overall I would have to say no to this...

a) downloading to and from people's comps is not a viable option.

b) if I have a mod, I want to see it, not other people's

c) someone runs up to you with a minigun graphic. you laugh at them, and then they throw it at you. You die. It was really a knife with a different graphic...

d) no :)

Kamikaze_Ninja
October 10, 2003, 2:29 am
"c) someone up to you with a minigun graphic. you laugh at them, and then they throw it at you. It was really a knife with a different graphic..."

Didn't think of that one rofl. Omg I threw a minigun and u died buahahahaha.

ReDevil
October 10, 2003, 2:47 am
this is too heavy on soldat lol