( search forums )
Replace Barret with an Anti-Tank rifle
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Gaah
October 10, 2003, 7:00 am
In WW2 there were many ways to destroy tanks. A variety of artillery, rocket launchers (piat rifles) and AT Rifles. An AT rifle would be an ideal replacement for the Barret because then people wouldn't go "The Barret is actually semi-auto" and "the Barret's overpowered". They couldn't say that for the AT gun because a 20mm AT rifle is designed to shoot bullets through tank armour and kill the crew. If it could punch through armor it could probably go through several little "soldats". Because of the recoil and stuff, it would probably take some time to put your shoulder but in it's socket, then readjust the aim.

DeadKenny
October 10, 2003, 7:30 am
I thaught the 20mm PAK had to be use by min.2 ppl (targeting, reloading)
and it was on wheels because of its weight.

cat92
October 10, 2003, 7:47 am
In its description I think it said something about being anti armour...

DeadKenny
October 10, 2003, 8:03 am
AA = PAK (German)

Guil
October 10, 2003, 8:43 pm
8. Barret M82A1
This sniper weapon has incredible power. It was designed to pierce tank armor. The Army didn't even plan to use it against people. But who cares?
Sniper mode available if you crouch or go prone.

Just read the manual.

3rd_account
October 10, 2003, 8:44 pm
(rip from the manual)

Barret M82A1
This sniper weapon has incredible power. It was designed to pierce tank armor. The Army didn't even plan to use it against people. But who cares?
Sniper mode available if you crouch or go prone.

So isn't Barret a AT-rifle?

Guil
October 10, 2003, 8:52 pm
loll 3rd_account, same time. :)

Kamikaze_Ninja
October 10, 2003, 8:57 pm
wow that's crazy exactly a second after.
-edit
oops must have misread it oh well still close tho

Guil
October 10, 2003, 9:01 pm
By me : Posted - 10 Oct 2003 : 20:43:32

By 3rd_account - Posted - 10 Oct 2003 : 20:44:43

1 min 11 sec not 1 sec :P

NuZZ
October 11, 2003, 8:23 am
Whos retarded idea was it 2 think of replacing the barret... it is the most popular, use the law be atch!!!!!!
Guys have you noticed that an anti-tank would be useless.... THERE WILL NOT, AND THERE IS NOT ANY TANKS IN THIS GAME! omg noobs >:(
Im really getting sick and tired of you [:-censored]ING noobs suggesting guns to be removed..... ARRG! Not 1 gun in soldat should be removed, ONLY GUNS ADDED!

3rd_account
October 11, 2003, 9:59 am
We share brainwaves bro! Only due to the timezones I posted a litle later... :P

Darac
October 11, 2003, 10:50 am
why are we trying to kill ppl in tanks? i thought a sniper rifle would be anough to kill a man.

Guil
October 11, 2003, 5:42 pm
quote:Originally posted by 3rd_account
We share brainwaves bro! Only due to the timezones I posted a litle later... :P

LOL! You make me laugh with the timezone. :)

Dark_Noddy
October 11, 2003, 7:33 pm
This weapon was first introduced to the Swedish army in the late 80´s and immediately it became a success, bringing a whole new dimension to the light infantry support. Soon after the Barret M82A1 .50 Caliber was adopted by the U.S Marines as the primary long range sniper rifle. It is used as an anti-tank weapon and has an effective range of 2 Kilometers. It was widely used in the Gulf and Afghanistan War to take out key military targets and armoured vehicles.

More...

[Edit]

The Page is a Informativ site for a Gun producer in Japan or somthing..
The first part of the page is about the original design and the rest is about the "Smokie remake"

[/Edit]

kkazican
October 11, 2003, 10:38 pm
Well I assume Mike had to compensate for the whiners saying NERF THE BARRET. What I don't get is why the barret it nerfed when there are a lot of vests around and the m79 isn't.

Dark_Noddy
October 12, 2003, 12:32 am
What is Kevlar? And how does it stop bullets?

Kevlar is a synthetic material developed by DuPont. It is about 10 times the tensile strength of steel, by weight. When a bullet impacts the vest, it deforms as it tries to penetrate each successive layer, the deformation helps to distribute the impact over an ever-larger area. The photos on this site show a 9mm JSP that only makes it thru 2 or 3 layers out of 18.

These Tests are done with a Levle 2 Kevlar vest.. Concidering That They Make Vests up to levle 5 and even put Titanium plates and other sh*t in them. A Vest should Stop a Barret Shot..

From here..
And Here...

kkazican
October 12, 2003, 1:31 am
Oh yeah I forgot about kevlar hehe silly me.

BManx2000
October 12, 2003, 2:37 am
According to the security planet thingo, level 4 stops armor piercing...

SERIAL KILLeR
October 12, 2003, 3:26 am
this vest should be able to stop a barret shot.
http://www.firstdefense.com/html/imagePPU.JPG
Not very handy to use tho.

Dark_Noddy
October 12, 2003, 10:39 am
LOLOL ! That Would be crap.. But hell as funny :D

3rd_account
October 12, 2003, 1:24 pm
lol
I love the idea BManx! :)

qazwertred
October 12, 2003, 8:14 pm
Much better than the flamegod.

Gaah
October 13, 2003, 4:39 am
I meant the speed it shoots at, so ppl don't complain. I don't know, maybe a 35mm Canon instead of LAW to blow the sh!t out of enemies

Hiroshto
October 14, 2003, 2:59 am
how about replace the Ruger with an ATAP rifle & keep the Barret how it is. you'd only need the ATAP rifle on maps with Tanks like the Panzershreks on Day Of Defeat.

But with enough accuracy, you can shoot through the door of a Jeep & take out the driver with a Barret

I'd better incorporate this into one of the Missions if this was to go ahead.

el_simpsons
October 14, 2003, 5:56 am
ugh... guys... what is with ALL these ridiculous suggestions?

granted Soldat is NOT the most realistic game, but once you get to the point of suggesting that a soldier lug around an anti-tank weapon that has a 20mm round and a barrel length of over 1.2 meters its ludicrous. the gun, from tip of barrel to end of butt stock is taller than most people are (2 meters and a bit). using an anti-armor weapon against soft targets is just stupid, not to mention it overkill; i don't really get why the barret is in the game but i've gotten past that. but as i said earlier, why don't we all carry tactical nukes and utterly wipe out half the entire map and then attempting to capture the flag as it is propelled into low earth orbit?

anyways, solid steel is pretty weak and not to mention insanely heavy.
the use of pure steel as armor is
1) inefficient and costly
2) stupid: steel oxidizes quite easily (rust)
3) very stiff, prone to fractures

and i couldn't give a flying f*ck if you were wearing a bomb disposal suit, if i shot you with a barret chambered for a .50cal round, your as dead as the guy who thought he could jump and fly off the empire state building, or pretty dam close.

the aforementioned suit is supposedly able to withstand shrapnel flying at up to 5000 feet per second, which is deflected by a combination of titanium/ceramic/steel/metal plates. the bomb disposal suit is reliant upon the fact, however, that the force of the explosion is spread over a large area, as most explosions are. guns, though, concentrate enormous amounts of kinetic energy upon a single point, which allows tipped armor piecing rounds to actually penetrate armor. your bomb disposal suit isn?t even as protective as the armor on an average medium tank, and a .50cal can penetrate that tank?s armor. you still wanna stake your life on it?

this effect is demonstrated by the fact that me karate-chopping a cinder block is likely to result in hand injury, but if i used a butcher knife, the energy is concentrated upon the 2mm thick end of the blade, allowing penetration. observe the effect of sharpened ice skates upon human flesh vs baseball bats.

this is the principle behind kevlar vests; tightly interwoven poly-somethingoranother fibers are interwoven together to form a mesh. when a projectile impacts upon this mesh, the fibers quickly distribute the energy along them, reducing the amount of force at any one point. thus, kevlar is pretty ineffectual at stopping a guy with a knife as the knife merely cuts the fibers as it isn?t designed to stop hand to hand arms.

even though vests will prevent penetration, they cannot prevent the trauma that results, and are unable to totally adsorb all of the energy from the high-velocity piece of lead. thus, even if you were wearing a vest, and i shot you with a shotgun, the pellets won?t kill you, but the internal bleeding, trauma, and broken bones sure as hell will.

back to the original point of the topic. the proposed weapon is also semi-auto, fyi, and fires at a maximum rate of 12shots/minute, or one shot every 5 seconds, just as fast as the barret currently does in Soldat.

fabmanx
October 14, 2003, 7:32 am
quite a big post from a guy i dont even know, nonetheless, u may be right :)

nSane
October 14, 2003, 8:48 am
Uh..sorry dude..a couple of thoughts for you
1. I am as much for realism as anyone else..but who has the time to
waste whilst playing soldat to argue over the barret being overpowered
and semi-auto!?
2. Uuuh..no tanks in soldat

nSane
October 14, 2003, 8:52 am
el_simpsons..you are damn right! I agree all the way..sorry I cant
do a great big post like yours..but you sure as hell are right

carbon kid
October 14, 2003, 9:16 am
NERF the BERRET

BManx2000
October 14, 2003, 3:00 pm
Oh boy... El Simpsons is on one of his "?STFU u n00b u know nufink bout this DONTTCAN'T put it in s0ldat cuz its UNREELISTIK!!!1!!1!" rants again...

Honestly, nonbody cares if you can chop a cinder block easier with a butcher knife, if a bomb suit isn't meant to stop barret shots, if you can carry an anti-tank weapon, why solid steel doesn't make good armor, or whatever else meaningless BS you pull out of your encyclopedia. In case you hadn't noticed, soldats fly, carry freaking MINIGUNS around, fire barrets in midair with pinpoint acccuracy, survive headshots from the barret because they're wearing a vest, and survive a grenade exploding in their face.

doffencom
October 14, 2003, 5:56 pm
quote:Originally posted by NuZZ
Whos retarded idea was it 2 think of replacing the barret... it is the most popular, use the law be atch!!!!!!

I think he didn't mean replace the barret.. Only rename it?
And I dunno if its still the most popular, I don't see many using it these days..

el_simpsons
October 15, 2003, 1:20 am
ugh, this is probably gonna escalate into a flame war cuz i'm taking the time to actually reply to your worthless post. i'm already surprised at the fact that you can recognized words that have more than 4 letters in them, but i'm more surprised that you actually read at least half of my posts, else you would be ignorant of my cinder block example. pray tell, why do you bother to even read my posts if you hold such loathing for them? if you don't wanna read my thoughts, then don't, smart one... -_-