( search forums )
About Web Serving
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
bLaStEr
October 10, 2003, 2:21 pm
So, is it possible to have a soldat running in a web server,
obviously it would be good to have a soldat web server ;)

b00stA
October 10, 2003, 3:13 pm
For obvious reasons a Soldat can't run in a web server. I mean.. there's not enough space.
Blaster, next time be a bit more accurate about what you want.. do you want to PLAY Soldat via a webserver (ARGH) or do you want to HOST a SERVER on a WEB SERVER?

For hosting a server you need the rights to add applications and to run them. No, you can't run a Soldat server with HTML, PHP, CGI, ASP etc :)

bLaStEr
October 11, 2003, 9:37 pm
Sorry for being unaccurate...

Anyhow I want to HOST a SERVER to have a good server for soldatians :)
I got 50mb & unlimited bandwith with the webserver means 24 hours a day hosting like dna server ;)

So do i have to upload whole soldat into the web server ?
Or is there any other way?

b00stA
October 11, 2003, 10:07 pm
Usually your webserver is running a HTTP server software like Apache and this server just manages requests from applications like Internet Explorer. It sends you files (HTML files, images, videos etc.) etc.
It can also parse scripts like PHP but you just can't upload Soldat via FTP and run it.
You either need a linux server or a windows server where you just have a executable version of a Soldat (server).

To what do you have access to on your webserver? FTP? Do you have a complete server or just a small account?

bLaStEr
October 11, 2003, 11:24 pm
quote:To what do you have access to on your webserver? FTP? Do you have a complete server or just a small account?
Well i have access to everything & yes there is ftp besides i need to pay for it :P

<- *just wants to make a good server =)*

b00stA
October 11, 2003, 11:53 pm
Well... what OS is running on it? Maybe contact styx, he might help you with that because if it comes to actually setting something up on a linux machine I can't do anything ;)

bLaStEr
October 12, 2003, 12:16 am
quote:Well... what OS is running on it? Maybe contact styx, he might help you with that because if it comes to actually setting something up on a linux machine I can't do anything ;)

I think the OS is Win Xp *not sure though*
& maybe I contact Styx :)
Anyhow now I try to upload the whole soldat folder in to the server ;)

Lets see what happens *crosses fingers*

DNA.styx
October 12, 2003, 11:42 pm
To be able to run a Win32 (WinXP/NT/2000) server you need to have physical access to the machine's desktop to run soldat in dedicated mode.

If you don't but someone else does, then set up soldat as you want to run it and then upload your soldat.ini and maps.ini files and ask then to start the server for you.

HTH

bLaStEr
October 14, 2003, 12:37 pm
quote: To be able to run a Win32 (WinXP/NT/2000) server you need to have physical access to the machine's desktop to run soldat in dedicated mode.

If you don't but someone else does, then set up soldat as you want to run it and then upload your soldat.ini and maps.ini files and ask then to start the server for you.

HTH

All righty, I can forget this thing then[xx(]