( search forums )
f11 save jpg
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
xav
October 12, 2003, 1:43 pm

I know is easy to convert them from bmp to jpg.
But I wpuld like soldat does this automatic.

Hercule Poirot
October 12, 2003, 1:48 pm
F11 -> Gif is better

Hercule Poirot
October 12, 2003, 1:49 pm
Bmp size = about 900kb
Gif size = about 80 - 130kb
Jpg size = under 100kb???

and if you save in jpg all names go really crappy hard to real so i prefer gif

SuperKill
October 12, 2003, 1:52 pm
why ?
gif has crappier quality and it weight more.

and i think that f11 save to bmp \ gif \ jpg, should be an option cuz sometimes you need the screens in maximum quallity (bmp)

bLaStEr
October 12, 2003, 1:59 pm
BMP would be much better than jpg :/

Dark_Noddy
October 12, 2003, 2:06 pm
Gif Has Much Clearer Coloure...! A standerd Gif Has Better Quality Then a Good JPG !

To get Same Clearness U have To Save The Jpgs as YUV 111 not YUV 122.. Dont Ask me How to do this :D Ask Nighty !! hehe.. That Guy Knows alot :D

3rd_account
October 12, 2003, 2:07 pm
png rox00rs! Same quality as bmp but not even helf as large size.

palloco
October 12, 2003, 2:22 pm
Soldat is just a game, not a graphic converter. Being in BMP, you can choose later how do you want to compress the image and how much quality do you need. If you want perfect quality you have the BMP.

b00stA
October 12, 2003, 3:13 pm
First of all: keep the screenshot function in Soldat like it is right now.

Now: some of you don't seem to understand the differences between BMP, GIF and JPEG.
Bitmap is uncompressed. It contains exact color values for every single pixel. Therefor it's quite big. Ok.
GIF (Graphics Interchange Format afair, not sure) supports transpareny, dithering and animation. The colors are limited to a 255 colors palette. So some of the colors will be lost. Gif is really good for (animated) icons, transparent stuff and screenshots from windows application (dialogs etc. don't need many colors).
JPEG is for high-quality+low file size photos with many colors. It saves a lot more color infos than GIF and if saved properly with a fitting compression rate it looks good and is small too. If you use a YUV method when saving a JPEG, then they tend to suck, yes :)

Let's compare:
JPEG:
[IMAGE]
36.6KB

GIF:
[IMAGE]
38.65KB

Compared to the JPEG, the GIF's text is *slightly* better but both are quite easy to read. Now, have a look at the polygons in the left lower corner. The GIF loses color information (I can't describe it in english, sorry :>). Also, the JPEG is a bit smaller :)

Btw, saving screenshots directly to JPEG would be much slower than to BMP. My Soldat already freezes for a small amount of time. But JPEGs would take even more time because of the compression. And Soldat itself would become bigger because Michal would have to include the libraries for saving images to the JPEG format.

Just keep it like it is right now and convert them yourself. It's easy and if you do it right they're small+look good.

Dark_Noddy
October 12, 2003, 3:30 pm
Boosta.. I know JPG is as good as GIF Quality When Compressed Rite.. But No1 knows how to do it ! most ppl Prolly Just Use Paint ! And Then It gets CRAPY

bLaStEr
October 12, 2003, 3:51 pm
quote:Boosta.. I know JPG is as good as GIF Quality When Compressed Rite.. But No1 knows how to do it ! most ppl Prolly Just Use Paint ! And Then It gets CRAPY
I use Photo Shop 7 ^_~ *the best in my opinion*

Mr G
October 12, 2003, 5:09 pm
after reading b00sta's post i agree with leaving the screenshot system that way :)

liquidis x snake
October 12, 2003, 5:54 pm
Should be done Half-Life style. Saved as BMP, then I open in AdobePS, convert to Jpeg quality 8, and its pretty much teh same thing but a helluva lot smaller.

-edit-
Oh. My. God. I feel like a moron. I totally forgot it had a screenshot button. For the past few months I've been taking PrintScrn's and minimizing and pasting into Photoshop. My, do I feel stupid.

xav
October 12, 2003, 10:38 pm

Only to say than lossless jp2 compression exists too.

Bugs Revenge
October 12, 2003, 11:07 pm
It's better. my pics took 100 mg, baaaaaa(they r jpg lol)

BManx2000
October 12, 2003, 11:56 pm
Paint suvks for saving both GIF and JPEG, it saves the JPEG to like 0 quality, and it uses the same palette for saving all gifs (meaning colors get messed up and look grainy). Paint sucks big time :P

NightCabbage
October 13, 2003, 4:33 am
It's good that it saves them as BMPs.

Coz then they are at 100% quality, and you can compress them however you like.

Overall, JPGs are better for most things, as a GIF can only have 256 colours.

It should stay as it is, and people should just learn to convert them :)

And yes, paint sux for conversion :)

b00sty has the art of compression down, I see =D

b00stA
October 13, 2003, 4:18 pm
Thanks NC. As you already noticed, I have mastered the art of compression. My great teacher was.. err.. dunno I just know it :>

EDIT: Notice teh sarcasm :> ^^ ;) kthx

BManx2000
October 14, 2003, 4:43 am
What's so "art" about it? I mean, all you do is set a quality slider :/
Or is there some secret compression panel I don't know about?

Dark_Noddy
October 14, 2003, 1:34 pm
LOL ! It is an Art ! some Rookie Will Save a pic at 1oo kb With Halv readable Quality.. A Über mesch Would Save it at Less Size and Top Quality.. Aslo Knowing what format to Use for what is a skill !

Duke33
October 15, 2003, 5:41 am
Right. Well, i guess im not a master. Anyway, i agree with the almighty B00sta--lets stick with BMP.

liquidis x--dont worry, for a while in paintshop i forget that i could pull down the menu to change it to JPG. So id take a screenie of it, paste it in paint, save it, change it using XNView (file converter) and THEN do w/e with it. Thankfully i figured out my mistake in a week or two, but still, i am more of an asshole than you.