( search forums )
Is it true that the barret will be toned down?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
etwake
October 15, 2003, 4:48 am
I hope they keep it the way that it is. It has a one shot kill ability, but it also has a 10s reload, plus a 10-shot capacity. They shouldn't tone it down in 1.2, all games need a powerful sniper rifle i.e. CS, TFC, etc...

BMF
October 15, 2003, 4:52 am
i will bitch slap the next person that makes a barret thread. STFU NOOB

koil
October 15, 2003, 5:01 am
quote:Originally posted by etwake
I hope they keep it the way that it is. It has a one shot kill ability, but it also has a 10s reload, plus a 10-shot capacity. They shouldn't tone it down in 1.2, all games need a powerful sniper rifle i.e. CS, TFC, etc...

no, its 5 sec reload the shot, 10 for the whole clip (only few ppl get the chance to actually reload their barret).

10shot capacity... whats wrong with that? you would prefer a 4shot capacity? like ruger? or maybe 7 like deagels? or maybe 1 like m79? ...
10shot capacity is a good thing.

i think tuning down (or the common word nerfing) is the only way to decrase the overuse with that wep.

*my opinion

AquaShyGuy
October 15, 2003, 5:14 am
i just think that its shot capacity shud be lowered down to like 7 or sumthin.

juice _ box
October 15, 2003, 5:49 am
I think you should all deal with the fact the the [:-censored]ing barret wont be nerfed.

fabmanx
October 15, 2003, 6:02 am
Agreed with BMF, i wanna see a cat fight :)

morpheus
October 15, 2003, 7:13 am
i've heard (from a VERY reliable source) it's gonna be replaced it with a pee shooter.

carbon kid
October 15, 2003, 7:21 am
it wont get toned down cause then all the berret pansy's will make like 10 thousand more berret threads

that fuking sniper
October 15, 2003, 7:46 am

Yes but can you storm people's bases in CS and TFC with a sniper rifle?

In most/all FPS games the sniper rifles are pure camping weapons for a reason.

Soldat is a different matter though, people choose the barret because they get both a fighting weapon and bonuses that apply with it. And yes, its overpowered and YES its noob-friendly or however you want to call it. It was once a true veteran's weapon but then too much [:-censored] got better at it while the other weapons were nerfed. And thats the state of 1.1.0-1.1.5

In 1.2 some things are changing though, a new damage system, but I'm not sure what will Michal decide to finally do with the barret.

Element_101
October 15, 2003, 10:25 am
The barret is a little overpowered. All you can really do is hope that they person will miss

If not then its by by for you. I think in 1.2 that the barret will not get nerfed down its

established its self as a reliable gun for a lot of people if its changed a lot of

people are going to be looking for a new gun.

frogboy
October 15, 2003, 10:39 am
The whole point of it having a long reload is because its meant as a camping weapon. Well, its supposed to have a long reload.

BiOsi K4d4sh
October 15, 2003, 11:37 am
Barret shooting only when prone or crouched, and with a 7 seconds reload per shot...

Then let's see how many ppl will have still the courage to use it ;)

Meandor
October 15, 2003, 12:52 pm
It's a bit overpowered right now, but people are complaining way too much about it - learn how to deal with it and shut up.
And then, wait for the new version to be out before complaining no?

SuperKill
October 15, 2003, 1:22 pm
i still dont get all the fuss being made about the overpowered thing

MisterX
October 15, 2003, 1:44 pm
My Opinion: Barret isn't overpowered, 1-Hit-Kill is quite ok, 10 Shots in a Clip, 5Secs reload before every shot - alright. Best Distance Weapon, great. One of the best close combat weapons - dang, not great! I hate that the Barret is the best weapon overall if you can handle it. You can kill over a high distance with just 1 Shot, that's not a Problem (but it could be harder to hit, even when lying), but you can hit people nearly as good in close combats fights, while running/flying too, and that's what I hate. Let's see: Akimbo DE: Great close combat weapon, bad for higher distances. AK47: Good for close combat, good for a bit higher distance too, but less strong. Steyr: nearly the same. M79: Great for close combat, 1-hit-kill, but really bad for higher distance. etc. ... Barret: Best weapon for high(er) distance, great for closecombat too, 1-hit-kill.
Hell, don't you see the problem with that?

Chakra
October 15, 2003, 5:17 pm
From what little I know (...) of the future of barret, it should be less accurate while in the air, or while prone.

Looks like the barret is going back to being a weapon requiring a good bit of skill to compensate for these new handicaps.

The Professional
October 15, 2003, 5:31 pm
I think if you guys look at it from a slightly realistic standpoint the barret is perfectly set as it is now. It's a .50 cal (?) sniper rifle...if you got hit with that in reality it would take you out (or a good chunk of you). Same with the desert eagles...that's a lot of knock-down power!

As for the barret being a good up-close weapon, it's possible but the reload time kills it. m79 is way better in this position. Once someone gets past that first shot it's all over for the sniper.

To put it short, I'm happy with the way things are IMO...

3rd_account
October 15, 2003, 5:56 pm
You high? The barret is way better then the M79 in close combat! With the Barret you wont hurt yourself and the bullet goes a straight way.

The solution could simply be to give the Barret terasucking accuracy when running and flying. Then only dedicated pros would be using Barret while the n00bs move over to the automatics.

Meandor
October 15, 2003, 6:35 pm
The map plays a big role. Try to beat m79 in voland with barret for instance.

The Professional
October 15, 2003, 7:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by 3rd_account
You high? The barret is way better then the M79 in close combat! With the Barret you wont hurt yourself and the bullet goes a straight way.

The solution could simply be to give the Barret terasucking accuracy when running and flying. Then only dedicated pros would be using Barret while the n00bs move over to the automatics.

?? If you miss with that first shot with the barret that's it for the next 4 seconds. Miss with the m79 and you'll still do a lot of damage from the splash to that player, and whoever is close enough. Not only that, but you can only hit one target with the barret at once. Try and assault in INF or get the flag in CF using just the barret. Unless you are cheating, playing against super-n00bs, or God, it isn't going to happen. Common sense m8!

Wait a minute, why did I just explain all that...

Weed
October 15, 2003, 8:11 pm
sorry to tell u, but i know enough players that can take the flag with barret, not only that, but take the flag, kill everyone around the flag, and get back in one piece, and thats cuz ppl use the secondary wep, and the nades, and good movement helps too :)
btw, meandor, a sniper can prone on the bridge on volland (noobland) and take u out before u see him, thats bad, and it doesnt happen too much, cuz ppl doesnt want to get the CAMPER tag on them :)

DeepII
October 15, 2003, 8:41 pm
I'm using Barret(yeah, kill me!)now for a long time and I haven't seen a lot of ppl using Barret! I see a lot of ppl using M79 or Desert Eagles not only Barret! But the thing is no1 is using MP5, AK74 and the other automatics cause u need too much shoots to kill some1! in this time a barret user can easily reload(like me)! with M79 or D-Eagles it's easy. Maybe some ppl have seen me on some server(my name is:[GoS]DeepII) and know I'm NOT a n00b! try to kill some1 with an automatic and u see it's too hard!

btw: I can easily capture the flag in CtF or Inf with Barret...
btw2: stop making Barret Threads!!!

Meandor
October 15, 2003, 9:54 pm
Too hard killing with ak? Not. People use barret 'cause they think it's more powerful than other weapons, but it's just easier to master.

Mr G
October 15, 2003, 10:20 pm
THE BARRET TOPIC AGAIN!!!!!

JayBDey
October 15, 2003, 11:33 pm
quote:Originally posted by that fuking sniper

Yes but can you storm people's bases in CS and TFC with a sniper rifle?

In most/all FPS games the sniper rifles are pure camping weapons for a reason.

Soldat is a different matter though, people choose the barret because they get both a fighting weapon and bonuses that apply with it. And yes, its overpowered and YES its noob-friendly or however you want to call it. It was once a true veteran's weapon but then too much [:-censored] got better at it while the other weapons were nerfed. And thats the state of 1.1.0-1.1.5

In 1.2 some things are changing though, a new damage system, but I'm not sure what will Michal decide to finally do with the barret.

That pretty much sums up where we're at right now.

Kamikaze_Ninja
October 16, 2003, 12:05 am
Well maybe it might become like a sniper rifle irl and u can't shoot midair too well or something.

JayBDey
October 16, 2003, 12:12 am
We hope so.

el_simpsons
October 16, 2003, 4:41 am
i already wrote a big long post way way back about reduction of accuracy of snipe-type weapons while airboure and the converse, increased accuracy while prone...
the latter may already be true, it is evident when accidentally selecting minimi--accuracy while crouched/prone rival's ak47's.

on a side note, desert eagles DO NOT use the same ammunition as the barret, else the handle would have to be 4+ inches wide to accomodate the ammunition... .50cal BM ammo was designed for browning anti air craft guns; each round is longer than your hand... scary...

g_omega
October 16, 2003, 5:32 am
Too many nerf the barret threads, making it only able for use while crouched/prone would be a good idea.

BMF
October 16, 2003, 5:41 am
Barret IS the most powerful weapon. And its hard to master

but its overpowered, thats why i try to avoid using it

Spitzfiya
October 16, 2003, 6:33 am
Barret sucks ass....I absoulutly hate using the barret. Its very difficult to use...And If you miss your screwed (I cant hit [:-censored] with it). I have no idea How BMF makes those incredible shots with the barret but he does. Its a tool you have to master! Its cool to see people who are very accurate with it(somewhat sick too). I prefer the deagles/Ruger semi autos kick ass....Your enemey is only going to have a certain amount of health...why not pick off the people with low health? the battletorn victims? the starglers?

Its easyier to kill people in succession with semi autos too! I had 5 multikills today with the Ruger.

And the barret is not a noob weapon.....Noobs absoulutly suck with this weapon.

But anyways, I think the barret is fine.....This thread sucks

frogboy
October 16, 2003, 8:16 am
Wouldn't be easier to slow the reload times to, say, double of the current reload time. That way, less people will use Barret.

MisterX
October 16, 2003, 12:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by 3rd_account

Yep, thats what it has to be like. But even Pro's must have a much worse chance to win in close combat, because a sniper rifle is a damn rifle for high distances!

quote:Originally posted by The Professional
It's a .50 cal (?) sniper rifle...if you got hit with that in reality it would take you out (or a good chunk of you). Same with the desert eagles...that's a lot of knock-down power!...
Hm.. thats not really the point. The Problem isnt the strengh, it's ok like it is (but if you hit someone in the foot, 90% dmg would be enough I think), but the problem is it's accuracy (while flying and running)

3rd_account
October 16, 2003, 2:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeepII
I'm using Barret(yeah, kill me!)now for a long time and I haven't seen a lot of ppl using Barret! I see a lot of ppl using M79 or Desert Eagles not only Barret!

btw2: stop making Barret Threads!!!

That's wierd, let's say on dnagames for example. Sometimes there's ONLY people using Barrets there. You'd think like "Hey, I didn't know there existed only-Barret-clans... and what's the ods of them fighting on here?"

And there need to be Barret-threads for enough people - including Michal - to realize it's overpowered.

MisterX
October 16, 2003, 3:15 pm
let's say about 75-85% of all active soldat players are using barret. then about 7-17% are using m79. rest is using anything else.. like me

but if 1.2 wont be out soon, it will get more and more anoying. soldat isn't as funny as it was, when people were using all weapons, not just barret. now it's just anoying, nearly no fun (if you play on dnagames for example. if you play on other servers, then it can just be fun if noobs are playing, but they are too weak - no fun too...

DeepII
October 16, 2003, 10:05 pm
quote:Originally posted by MisterX
let's say about 75-85% of all active soldat players are using barret. then about 7-17% are using m79.

[:D]85%+17%=102%[:D]

TIR_Blade
October 16, 2003, 10:54 pm
dude don't be an idiot, if he means 85 which is the highest number u take the others lowest, so 85%+7%=92%

Also, I don't mind the idea about not being able to shoot from air, or make its accuracy like minimi's in the air, so each time the bullet goes in a different direction, nearly impossible to assault with.

Apex
October 17, 2003, 2:51 am
it took me about 10 minutes to get used to the barret and i can own anybody that's not using a barret with it with ease (the trick? don't miss - it's not that hard)
it's ridiculously overpowered and i hope the barret whiners cry about it when it's nerfed
meanwhile i'll be using the weapons that are fun and take more require more hand-eye coordination than throwing a quarter through a 100 ft. wide hoop 2 feet in front of you

JayBDey
October 17, 2003, 4:56 am
I've been suggestion all of this since 1.0 and was always met with criticism. Now, most people are behind the idea.

Why wasn't this fixed back BEFORE it was such a problem?

frogboy
October 17, 2003, 9:09 am
Just slow the reload time, so less people will use Barrets in Direct Combat, and instead camp, and use a secondary weapon for direct combat. Or less people use it altogether, and use the more underestimated weapons.

MisterX
October 17, 2003, 10:39 am
quote:Originally posted by DeepII
quote:Originally posted by MisterX
let's say about 75-85% of all active soldat players are using barret. then about 7-17% are using m79.

[:D]85%+17%=102%[:D]

-.-"

quote:Originally posted by TIR_Blade
Also, I don't mind the idea about not being able to shoot from air, or make its accuracy like minimi's in the air, so each time the bullet goes in a different direction, nearly impossible to assault with.
Isn't it like that now? I think it is, but it's still too easy to aim while running/flying

Frosty
October 17, 2003, 4:46 pm
I would have to agree, make the barrett harder to fire while running and flying, and increase its accuracy when kneeling and proning.

.FF.nEcRoTik
October 17, 2003, 7:56 pm
I don't think the barret needs to have it's aiming increased when kneeling and proning o.O

y0da
October 17, 2003, 7:57 pm
I do'nt like to use the barret. Realy. My favourite is Ruger 77. Faster the barret, not much powerful. But my favourite. I must lear how to use the Barret. :]

Frosty
October 20, 2003, 7:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by .FF.nEcRoTik
I don't think the barret needs to have it's aiming increased when kneeling and proning o.O

I meant keep the barret the same how it is now in kneeling and prone positions, however decrease the accuracy of standing and flying shots.