( search forums )
Why can't it be modded?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra
October 17, 2003, 6:27 am
I've played so many games in my time, and the best bits about those games were the mods.
Half life spawned the generally adored counter-strike (although the community is a turn off), Homeworld had the fantastic star wars and star trek mods, Max Payne had the beautiful Kung Fu mod, Medal of Honour had DOD, RTCW = enemy territories....name a game I've ever played, and I've always found further enjoyment from it's mods.

And even for soldat theres a often browsed community of mods which can change little more than the sounds and graphics. People love mods!

I don't mean to sprout a topic with a thread of posts saying "yeah soldat would be nice with mods"....it's obvious that the more variety there is in a game, or anything, the more likely there'll be something for your and other's preference.

I just can't shake it out of my head though...why does Lord Michal choose not to let the world fiddle with his oh so juicy goods? That's what i'd like to know.

NightCabbage
October 17, 2003, 8:25 am
The only way to make a mod for Soldat is to have the full source code.

He is not willing at this point to release the source, for many reasons.

Not the least of which is to prevent cheating.

It will come in time.

Social Poison
October 17, 2003, 8:58 am
It does depend on what you mean by mod though. Technically a simple interface change is a "mod"

Personally I think within the next few versions we will see more and more mod support. IE you will be able to activate various mods instead of having mulitple copies of Soldat on your computer (like if you have the paintball mod or something).

Weapon and physics changes however, would be kinda tricky... because the mods could be used for cheating unless they were more or less confined.

morpheus
October 17, 2003, 9:35 am
plugins would be nice. say you wanted a new gun. just make a plugin for it, and since it would be server specific everyone would able to use it.

Meandor
October 17, 2003, 12:57 pm
Imo the community is too small for now. How many people you know that could mod the code?

muzzmastah
October 18, 2003, 12:39 am
well, I sure couldn't...

Social Poison
October 18, 2003, 12:43 am
Why would you need to mod the code?

I think that just better graphical mods would be the best place to start.

As far as weapon plug ins, if the plug ins were kept just as seperate weapon files, it would work fine. Kinda like Liero's single weapon plug ins.

JayBDey
October 18, 2003, 2:19 am
A GFX change is not a mod, all other game communities call them skins. A mod changes the game code, and is not compatible with the original version without the client installing it. The current skins do not fit this description. I can join any server I want even if the server does not have the same gun skins as me.

BManx2000
October 18, 2003, 4:16 am
NO, YOU FOOL!!1! You have aroused the ire of JayBDey!! HEAD FOR THE BOMB SHELTERS! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!111!!!1!

JayBDey
October 18, 2003, 5:06 am
Or conform, your call.

Ardaen
October 18, 2003, 5:09 am
Apparently the way he coded it, it would be hard to make "fully" moddable.

JayBDey
October 18, 2003, 5:19 am
Once hes done with it im sure that he will release some kind of SDK.

Social Poison
October 18, 2003, 5:26 am
I don't know if that will be for some time, Jay.

Sharpshooter
October 18, 2003, 7:47 am
There is just one thing I have to say to michal and about him. Can I buy some pot from you man? I mean you had to be so stoned to make soldat. I could never comprehend how someone would come up with a concept like this game unless they were really really wasted. I mean if I made soldat I wouldn't want to release the source code either. Then what was the point of smoking all that weed in the first place?

LiL_FuKa
October 18, 2003, 10:00 pm
Wow Sharpshooter, you are sooo cool.

Sharpshooter
October 19, 2003, 2:42 am
Yeah, I know. But you know I am no where near as kool as slipknot. I hate my life too and I like wearing black masks and yelling at random things because that makes me a badass.

Cr4cK
October 19, 2003, 11:06 am
Hey! im cooler, i can smoke! mwhahah! [:-censored]! MY DAD COMES!

Mini Man
October 19, 2003, 11:26 am
sad sad people i pity u! BUT..... a mod were its actualy different from just changing the weapons would bee great!

Element_101
October 19, 2003, 11:53 am
quote:Originally posted by Chakra
Half life spawned the generally adored counter-strike (although the community is a turn off

Lol im a member and I agree with you one hundred and ten percent

Gaah
October 19, 2003, 12:50 pm
How about Michal puts together a mod team and they work together to make a couple of weapon mods, stuff like that and a switcher like there is in Half Life. Then he would'nt have to release the source code and everything. He could tell the team what he wanted, and they could work toward that. Sure, it might be hard to organize with the time zones and location, but hey, just do it!

DeepII
October 19, 2003, 1:23 pm
Michal doesn't have to release the full code of Soldat. why does he can't make a mod-maker?! he just put in a physics-changer and a weapon specs changer. THAT'S ENOUGH! the weapon graphics can u change with paint, make some maps, save the mod and that was everything. not a very professional mod but u have a mod. then michal must do a mod-activater in the game(like in BF42), and u simply activate the mod. then he must put an option in the in-game browser to show only servers with this mod. that was everything. Michal has the code, so why does he not do such a mod maker?

SERIAL KILLeR
October 19, 2003, 1:43 pm
And it would be cool if u could make maps with different objectives.
modes like domination,king of the hill,instagib,escape,destroy/defend the objectives,etc