( search forums )
Black screen on game start up
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
maztar
October 19, 2003, 3:14 am
Yea.. thing is.. when i start soldat 1.1.5 i get this black screen when i push "start". i also got this error "cannot initialize 3d hardware" or something like that.. but then i changed my settings and the error stopped buggin me. that didnt help me out on the black screen tho.. i still cant see anything when im trying to start a game.. and ive tried almost everyone of the sollutions mentioned on the soldat faq but none of them seems to help. anyone who can help me out?

NightCabbage
October 19, 2003, 6:38 am
Wellz0rz, Soldat like to run with Direct3D, and to do that it needs DirectX 8.1 or higher, and do use them, it needs a video card that will support them ^_^

You're getting that error because you don't meet one or more of those requirements.

And when you change your settings to Force Software Mode, you just get a black screen because Software Mode doesn't work, ever, for anyone :P

So, what version of DirectX are you using? (should use DX 9.0b - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=141D5F9E-07C1-462A-BAEF-5EAB5C851CF5&displaylang=en )

What video card do you have?

Can you run any other games using hardware acceleration?

NightCabbage
October 21, 2003, 1:21 am
Are you using the latest Detonator drivers?
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Providing you have DX9 and the latest Detonators, you shouldn't be having any trouble...

maztar
October 21, 2003, 11:48 am
yea i got the latest drivers.. and DX9.. thats why this whole situation is so damn weird.. why wont it work?!

NightCabbage
October 22, 2003, 3:55 am
Does anything else work now?

eg. any other games that use hardware acceleration

(not 9 months ago :)

palloco
October 22, 2003, 8:31 am
And had you tried with the default drivers of your card?

NightCabbage
October 24, 2003, 10:14 am
hmmm, maztar - what OS are you using? win98, ME, 2000, XP?

Wolverine
October 24, 2003, 10:33 am
OKay I got mine fixed by clicking on that ATI option on the troubleshooting bit. Don't suppose that'll work for ya too, huh?

NightCabbage
October 25, 2003, 8:56 am
That's weird (good, but weird)

Wolverine - you said you were getting an error message?

And did the ATI blank screen option fix that too?