( search forums )
Equilibrium
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
ThaD
October 22, 2003, 9:06 am
Have just watched this movie and i must say I'm not disappointed; it's definitely one of the best s-f movies recently, much much better than Matrix2 with great action, even greater fights and the greatest smile at the end. The movie forces you to think a bit about some things and that what i especially like in it. It's like Orwell's "Year 1984" but with happy end. So if you can, watch it, you won't be disappointed.

juice _ box
October 22, 2003, 10:45 am
Good fighting, but both times i saw it i fell asleep.

b00stA
October 22, 2003, 1:14 pm
Yepp, I watched it 2 times in english and I have a poster on my wall with Taye and Christian Bale :)

I loved the scene when they find the dog and John kills 'em all hehe

BMF
October 22, 2003, 10:37 pm
Oh my god that movie sucked so badly its hard to believe!

First they show footage from WWII talk about how humans destroyed themselves in a nuclear war. Get some new footage for god's sakes. They show Americans bombing Drezden, and then they talk about atomic bombs. Lame.

The whole idea of the movie was ridiculous. Destroying art because it makes humans kill each other. What a load of crap. A sh1tty rip off of a world known book. The script-writer should be murdered.

I stopped watching at the point when that guy slided into the dark room and starting shooting. He was standing on one spot and shooting for like 5 minutes. And people were firing back, but they could not hit him although he was like 5 feet away. That was too much. If you wanna do it like Matrix, at least spend some money on computer graphics.

The idea was stolen, the action scenes were pale, the movie is very, very bad.

ThaD
October 23, 2003, 7:59 am
quote:Originally posted by BMF
Oh my god that movie sucked so badly its hard to believe!

First they show footage from WWII talk about how humans destroyed themselves in a nuclear war. Get some new footage for god's sakes. They show Americans bombing Drezden, and then they talk about atomic bombs. Lame.

yes lame, but at least these were true footages and not generated by a computer, its like a director wanted to show us this is not so unreal, it already happened in the past it can happen in the future.

quote:The whole idea of the movie was ridiculous. Destroying art because it makes humans kill each other.

is it so ridiculous??? think about it, thats why i like this film, u have to think! Its not Matrix with almost no ideas, if u watched the scene when John rescues a puppy u would know what im talkin about...

quote:I stopped watching at the point when that guy slided into the dark room and starting shooting. He was standing on one spot and shooting for like 5 minutes. And people were firing back, but they could not hit him although he was like 5 feet away. That was too much. If you wanna do it like Matrix, at least spend some money on computer graphics.

u know really try to watch movies to the end, it was explained later; the guy was master of Gun-Kata, he knew how to behave to avoid bullets, u dont need tons of computer graphics to be original

quote:The idea was stolen, the action scenes were pale, the movie is very, very bad.

how can u know??? u stopped watching it after some 10 minutes...

ReDevil
October 23, 2003, 8:03 am
You say its better than matrix 2? so you dont understand [:-censored] in movies, its a great movie but no so great, LORE RUleZ :>

LumpyFerret
October 23, 2003, 9:02 am
i have officially been dragged along to / fallen asleep in every lord of the rings movie that has been released.

BMF
October 23, 2003, 5:01 pm
Yeah, Lord of the Rings blows.

http://maddox.xmission.com/lotr1.html

I just realized how many movies i have watched because my imbecile friends dragged me into the theatres. And with girlfriends its even worse. You have to watch those retarded comedies and chick flicks or you dont get any action afterwards.

quote:Originally posted by ThaD

u know really try to watch movies to the end, it was explained later; the guy was master of Gun-Kata, he knew how to behave to avoid bullets, u dont need tons of computer graphics to be original

how can u know??? u stopped watching it after some 10 minutes...

Let me explain it to you right now, NO BUDGET. Gun-Kata my ass. I dont need more than 4-5 minutes to tell if the movie is going to be good. I dont even need to start watching it, i just see the preview and make up my mind. And 9/10 times i am right.

b00stA
October 23, 2003, 6:24 pm
BMF, what are your favourite movies? Do you actually like any other movies except Kill Bill?

ThaD
October 24, 2003, 8:19 am
yes b00sta good question, any answer BMF?

BMF
October 24, 2003, 5:16 pm
Nah, i didnt really like Kill Bill. It was too long and at times plain boring. But comparing to all the crap that is coming out these days, it looked ok. I mean it was not that bad, but i would not watch it again any time soon because it was too long. I will go see the second volume though.

An answer to you question b00sta. Yes, i like some movies. Here are a few from the top of my head.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (probably the most perfect movie ever shot)
Punch Drunk Love
Death to Smoochie

Well i also like classics like Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump and many others, i just can't think of any right now. Pulp Fiction was all right. I mean i can compile a list for you, but i dont think you would be much ineterested, since most of the movies I watch are not for general public.

Frosty
October 24, 2003, 5:33 pm
Can I have a link to the movie in the subject. I have never heard of it

ThaD
October 25, 2003, 11:29 am
quote:Originally posted by Frosty
Can I have a link to the movie in the subject. I have never heard of it

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/ , next time use our best friend Mr. Google :)

b00stA
October 25, 2003, 12:43 pm
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (probably the most perfect movie ever shot)
Punch Drunk Love
Death to Smoochie
I dunno about the 2 last movies you mentioned but I've heard of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Some other people already recommended it to me :)
The only movie by Guy Ritchie I saw, is Snatch. Some funny quotes etc. but not too good.

Well i also like classics like Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump and many others, i just can't think of any right now. Pulp Fiction was all right.
Yepp, classics, but I can't watch those kinda movies too often :|

I mean i can compile a list for you, but i dont think you would be much ineterested, since most of the movies I watch are not for general public.
Actually, I'm interested. Just have a look at my little list:
http://home.arcor.de/b00sta2/movielist.txt

The Second One
October 25, 2003, 12:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by ThaD
Have just watched this movie and i must say I'm not disappointed; it's definitely one of the best s-f movies recently, much much better than Matrix2 with great action, even greater fights and the greatest smile at the end. The movie forces you to think a bit about some things and that what i especially like in it. It's like Orwell's "Year 1984" but with happy end. So if you can, watch it, you won't be disappointed.
[:(!]better than matrix2... at least you could spell it right..Matrix Reloaded [;)] anyway what's that movie about?

LumpyFerret
October 25, 2003, 1:32 pm
fear and lothing in las vegas.
fight club
american beuty
Requiem for a dream
I thought those movies were the best ive seen..ie make you think and have some good camera / dialouge techniques but dont get to hard to understand / deep and meaningfull..

speaking of being dragged along 2 a movie by girlfreinds...legaly blonde 2...UGHH!!! i almost went insane watching that crap.

b00stA
October 25, 2003, 2:16 pm
"I thought those movies were the best ive seen.."
So what do you think now?

LumpyFerret
October 25, 2003, 2:30 pm
hmmmm what do i think now?
I think that i like cheese.

BMF
October 25, 2003, 7:49 pm
Snatch is kind of a seuqel to Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrets. It was OK, but not half as good.

I love American Beauty. Memento was all right, but nothing special. Same thing with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, it was all right.

i dont want to sound offensive, but these movies are plain bad taste:
Requiem for a dream
Magnolia
Fight Club

I either have not seen others, or they are right in between, not too good, and not too bad. I dont have time right now, but i will make a list over the next few days.

b00stA
October 25, 2003, 7:59 pm
Hmm.. ok that's your opinion and I don't want to fight it, especially since Magnolia is a love/hate movie. Fight Club has been totally mainstreamed but I don't care about that. Maybe I just like it because I saw it so early and carried my opinion further on ;)

but I don't understand why Requiem for a dream is bad taste? I've just watched it again like ~1 week ago and I love it. The cuts are impressive and also telling you something, the camera technique is nice but not new ofcourse. Nevermind the sound theme :)

BMF
October 26, 2003, 1:27 am
There are no love/hate movies. There are good and bad movies. There is good and bad taste. There are smart people and stupid people. There are movies oriented on smart people, and movies oriented on general public. Example. My family was watching "Billy Elliot" recently. It is a good movie, but its a kind of a chick flick. So i did not like it much. But i still admit it was a very good, although no way in hell i would watch it myself. On the other hand Magnolia is a bad movie. Why?

Well, Magnolia failed to deliver. I had an impression that the screen writer had a great idea about how to start the movie, but didnt know how to carry it through. It all began with people falling out of the windows getting shot, which was cool. But it ended with a stupid cop who lost his gun, and some old [:-censored] with cancer, and they were all crying like little girls. And then those frogs falling from the sky. At that point i went over to the TV and kicked the screen. I mean i understand that they were out of ideas, but whats with the frogs??!

Requiem for a Dream.. It was too much. It was too much on top of too much and then some more. Split screens, crazy eyes, syringe close ups, it looks very cool if you show it a couple of times. But they were repeating the same stupid shots over, and over, and over, to the point where i threw my VCR out the window.
I am not mentioning small details here, like the movie had absolutely no plot. And whatsup with that old lady? Requiem blows.

EDIT you took the words out of my mouth, Fight Club was mainstreamed. Cant talk about it right now, gotta run

NightCabbage
October 26, 2003, 4:38 am
While some things are facts, not everyhting is black and white ;)

hmmmm, so many of these movies I have never heard of!

(ok only a few, but hey that's more than none lol)

ThaD
October 26, 2003, 9:07 am
Anybody saw "The hot chick"? [:D] stupid but somehow funny [:P]

b00stA
October 26, 2003, 1:39 pm
IMDB.com
When the frogs are falling, we see a caption on a picture in Claudia's apartment, "but it did happen". And it did. This happens when storms pass over a lake teeming with frogs, picking them up and dumping them elsewhere. This happened in the town of Villa Angel Flores in Mexico after a tornado picked up a cluster of toads and dropped them over the town one evening in June, 1997.

Things just happen :)
For me, Magnolia is a love/hate movie and it's a definition for myself..

Well, I think it's no use trying to convince you but the repeated shots in Requiem maybe show that those things like taking drugs become "normal" and you just don't think about it anymore.
Many ways to look at and for me Requiem is great.

Aspa
October 26, 2003, 6:46 pm
The Boondock Saints is one of the best movies I've seen. A must-see if you liked Pulp Fiction, Lock Stock, Fight Club or Snatch.

Anyone who has seen (and liked) Reqiuem might be interested in Pi (the movie) from the same director. Math, gangster rabbis, migraines, poking pencils in brains and stuff like that.

M
October 27, 2003, 10:13 am
Yesterday i watch this move. Man this movie was awsome. But in the middle of the movie i was so asleap so i didn't see teh ending. [:(]

b00stA
October 27, 2003, 11:25 am
"this movie"?
Magnolia? (3h movie) :?

LumpyFerret
October 27, 2003, 12:13 pm
ok best movie i have ever seen,
Dances with Wolves,,
yes it was long, but it was good.

M
October 27, 2003, 3:22 pm
Iw as meaning about Equilibrium.

Social Poison
October 27, 2003, 4:18 pm
I thought it was pretty good as long as you understood what was going on. I don't think the movie was based on 1984 so much as it was on Farienheit 451 (the book).

And I mean come on... martial arts scenes where they're trying to shoot eachother at close range? that's awsome.

BMF
October 27, 2003, 9:19 pm
FYI 1984 is a book.

And that's what i said in my first post, Equilibrium is a cheap Farienheit 451 rip-off