( search forums )
So the barret got fixed
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra
October 22, 2003, 10:32 pm
Pre 1.2: Barret ruled the majority of soldat servers. For every one gun, there was two barrets.
People tried complaining, but were met with the unarguable logic of "deal with it" or "use barret then", and lets not forget "but what if we miss? we're screwed then."

1.2b came out. Pre-emptive rejoice, as weapons took a step closer to being even and (arguably) balanced, despite needing much more tuning.

But the devoted barreters, who obviously enjoy bland 1-gun games, and practice their aim on old lucasart point-and-click adventures complained. No one said "deal with it" or "use another weapon".
Michal just listened to his senate of beta testers and made appropriate changes.

Days later, 1.2c appears. Not much has changed, except for the loyally loved barret. It fires as straight and quick as ever.

Somone please explain why so many love this gun! I honestly do not see the sense of having a single weapon that dominates over every other choice of armament for every situation.

The only concievable weakness of a barret is it's oh-so-dire 3 second reload, which coincides with frantically running away from the enemy, turning around and shooting again. Wheres the skill? [V]

n2j3
October 22, 2003, 10:44 pm
It goes on and on : http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=8330

needless to say i agree with chakra [all 2wai member's public posts have to go through censorship anyway]

paradox
October 22, 2003, 10:45 pm
shamone! i agree, i used to use barret all the time now im beginning to use other weapons such as ruger/m97 but i think its funny when people say barret is point and click because every weapon literally is point-and-click isnt it? :P

MisterX
October 22, 2003, 10:52 pm
NO ! this can't be ._. I was so damn happy when I heard it's really much harder to hit anyone while running or flying..and now.. no :'( Seems like I have to find another favorite game to play, because if barret won't be changed, soon everyone will use it... Doesn't anyone want to make a game called... say.. "Soldat". A 2d game, where you fight against many other people online in modes like ctf, deathmatch, oh, or what abut a mode called Rambo Mode? could be funny.. and there would be many weapons, desert eagles, ak74, even a greande launcher, but better no sniper gun, because of the balance. And I have ideas for maps. One could be called b2b!...........................................................

Frosty
October 22, 2003, 10:58 pm
The barret's accuracy should be reduced when standing and flying. That will make everyone happy.

arC
October 22, 2003, 11:19 pm
If barret is too overpowered in 1.2 alot of players are going to stop playing Soldat

F3nyx
October 22, 2003, 11:26 pm
I'm with Frosty... Hopefully people will be discouraged from using the Barret as much if it's not as good of a running weapon.

However I think the best solution is to just play RM... all the weapons are much better balanced there. In regular, there are several guns that I never use (MP5, Minimi, Steyr) and one gun (Deagles) that I use almost all the time. In RM, I find myself finding a good use for every single gun, except for the minigun (heh) and maybe the Barret, which isn't much better than the Ruger. People can actually get good enough with automatics to kick ass (since in RM the bullets actually do damage), and more specialized guns like the Spas get used as well.

?
October 23, 2003, 2:00 am
wait but people complain if you don't run if you use barret also, if you use barret at all its always a lose-lose deal cause people complain instead of viewing it as just a obstical that you have to overcome which makes the game more interesting

Duke33
October 23, 2003, 2:29 am
Jesus Christ, why is this always the topic brought up? Anyway. I respect everyones views. However, i think that the culminated idea from 16 pages of argument on barrets, at least for me was this:
How effective and good a player is depends more upon the skill of the player than his weapon. The weapon affects his gameplay undeniably, but nonetheless a talented person using any weapon will beat an untalented person using what some may call a superior weapon. So, to be specific about this argument, just because a person uses a barret does not make them good, it simply makes them use the bloody barret. However, if they are good, then they kick ass. But anyone who is good at ANY weapon kicks ass. So therefore, firstly i hold that the barret if faced properly is defeatable, and secondly if the person using the barret is lacking in skill with that weapon they will be easy to defeat. To follow that thought, anyone good with the barret will be hard to defeat.

So, thats my opinion. Thought. I am a barret user, although i do use other weapons. Im sure some disagree with me, and it is debatable whether the above statement is correct or not, but it is what i think. Maybe it will change, but hey.

Anyway, i know that im not going to desert soldat just cos i dont like a gun (yes, that IS hypocritical)

MisterX
October 23, 2003, 11:36 am
@Duke33: Let's say the 2 best Soldat players are fighting against each other. One uses barret, he hasn't missed any shot since a few months. The other one fights with desert eagles. The one is barret just needs 1 shot to kill the enemy, the one with desert eagles at least 2. So, how could the one with desert eagles win? It's not hard to learn how to make a hit with every shot with barret, even while running, flying.. So barret is just defeatable if the one who uses it misses sometimes, but if he's the best one who can't miss... but I don't know why michal doesn't understand it, I can't understand him...

CbbLe
October 23, 2003, 11:52 am
"Days later, 1.2c appears. Not much has changed, except for the loyally loved barret. It fires as straight and quick as ever."

have u even tried it? it's completely useless in air.

SuperKill
October 23, 2003, 1:01 pm
this gets boring..i hope the barret is fixed.
barret doesnt top any weapon besides m79 (in ctf) END OF DISCUSSION.

ReDevil
October 23, 2003, 2:05 pm
Maybe now when all other weapons are stringer they will have more chance?

Duke33
October 23, 2003, 3:39 pm
MisterX: It still depends on skill. Case in point: I have beat barret users with socoms. In fact, im not too sure if you are aware of this, but barret users (me at least) fear guys with rapid firing weapons more than guys with barrets. Because, once the barret has shot you can exploit that 2 second or whaever window of time you have. However, with autos/whatever, they are constantly firing and if you dont hit on the first shot its hard to stay alive unless you are very good at running away/dodging.
So, in that imaginary fight, i would say it would be pretty equal. Because, if that DE was so good, he would probably hit with every shot like the barret user. He has 7 rapid firing clips and the barret user has one (if you get what i mean). So, i dont know. Thats an interesting thought.

Superkill: Yeah. The barret isnt the best, eh? Only over some.

SuperKill
October 23, 2003, 3:45 pm
Superkill: Yeah. The barret isnt the best, eh? Only over some.

yes some.
some = most players that know how to use an automatic.

LiL_FuKa
October 23, 2003, 4:58 pm
Bah I say it's pretty well balanced now. I mean Michal changed the % of shot damage or whatever. So you can kill a person quicker with the other guns. So barret stays the same (cos it's 1 hit kill anyway) and the other weapons all improve. Before the barret was snarfed completely.. that wasn't fair. Now it's even if you ask me.

Element_101
October 24, 2003, 11:43 am
The best thing about using the barret is the satasifing effect you get

when you shot some one and there guts go every were thats what makes me

use the barret some times..

3rd_account
October 24, 2003, 7:16 pm
Duke, I don't think Barret makes people good. But I do think that the Barret makes people better.. well I wouldn't call them better, only more leathal.

It's not fun to meet a dude with a Barret, it's no match.
Either you rain bullets on him and suddenly your dead before you even heard the shot.
Or your rain bullets on him, he misses and you kill him... The only satisfaction you get from killing him is that you hope that you knocked the addiction of him only using the Barret, and change to another weapon in the future. But nontheless, it wasn't a fun fight.. if he had used a automatic or such when you fought then ther'd been an exiting match to see who's the best of us.

To the point; make the Barret less accurate when flying and running. Then they'd only be used for protecting the flag and the ocational camping. And the best part is - Not overused anymore when assulting!!

MgFalcon
October 24, 2003, 8:27 pm
the barret isn't the most powerfull wepon though... it's the m97 it can kill a guy with bullet proof vest on but with the barret you nedd to take 3 shots for smoe1 with a bullet proof vest, 1 more thing when you are flying you can't aim that good it shoots down a bit from where your target is

gi.joe
October 24, 2003, 10:03 pm
i think 3 shots is a bit of an exaggeration isnt it?
when ure flying u can shoot..... u just require some skill to pull it off
:)

Enik
October 24, 2003, 10:14 pm
Barret = nice gun...

that fuking sniper
October 25, 2003, 3:56 am
Umm, Chakra, please dont spread false rumors, the barret does NOT fire straight in 1.2c, its still random.

gi.joe
October 25, 2003, 6:40 am
whew...
i was spazzin out for a sec
:)