( search forums )
Soldat Mapping Contest #1
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Flanagan
November 17, 2002, 4:48 am
Hello, and welcome to the first Soldat Mapping Contest. It is designeed to stir up activity in the forum until the next release of Soldat.

The rules and the marking rubric can be found at my site.
http://www.soldataction.tk

Follow the link on the index.

Please be intrigued and go out and try to win this sucka!!!!

The prize will be a link underneath the Official Soldat link at the Forum, that will make it one of the most famous maps made for Soldat.

GO GET MAPPING!!!!!!!!!

Flanagan
November 17, 2002, 8:37 pm
I have decided to post the rules to make it easier for those lazy people who don't want to leave the forums :)

Rules:
I) Original work only. No reworks of others maps or ideas will be permitted.

II) Bot Pathing IS mandatory. Maps submitted without bots will be IMMEDIATLEY discarded. Judges will NOT play the game over the net with Non-Judges. *

III) One map per person per contest. Multiple contests will be run, but only one map can be submitted to each one.

IV) Published maps may be submitted.

V) No Scenery or Polygon limits.

VI) Submissions MUST be received by 12:00 PM (Noon) Sunday December 1st

VII) Results will be posted on either Saturday December 14th or Sunday December 15th

VIII) Winner will be judged by the forum moderators WITHOUT any bias. The winner will be decided by point total with all judgments being added together. 
The rubric is below. There will be no partial points except in the overall total.
* If you need the help or assistance in bot pathing, ask members of the forum or even your competitors. They will most likely help and aid your map with their experience and ideas.

BHedL
November 19, 2002, 8:49 pm
I have a map in the works that I feel good about, but I don't plan on having it done for a while... I wish I knew when the new version of soldat is coming out, because I really want to finish my map off with the new Map Editor.

Flanagan
November 19, 2002, 11:44 pm
Please post and give feed back on the rules and about the contest.

The contest is for Version 1.05 until the new version comes out.

Apro
November 20, 2002, 1:51 pm

1) You forgot the rubric
2) 12:00 PM (noon) on what time zone?
3) CTF or Deathmatch maps? Are the maps for different gametypes separated?
4) By "no polygon or scenery limits" you mean that the game's own limits are the only limits, right?
5) To who do I mail my map? You?
6) You mentioned that multiple contests will be run, could you specify?
7) Is it cold in Cananda at this time of the year?

Flanagan
November 20, 2002, 7:00 pm
1) You forgot the rubric
-No I didn't, go to my site for it. It isn't important for the map unless youwant to do well.

2) 12:00 PM (noon) on what time zone?
-Sorry. 12:00 PM (noon) -- GMT -8 (Pacific)

3) CTF or Deathmatch maps?
-No. They will be maarked the same. In future contests, there might be CTF or DM only.

4) By "no polygon or scenery limits" you mean that the game's own limits are the only limits, right?
-You can make as many or as few polys and scenery as you want. In future contests, there might be min. or max. limits for scenery or polys.

5) To who do I mail my map?
-You email the map to me. shwang_flanagan@yahoo.ca with a subject Map Contest #1

6) You mentioned that multiple contests will be run, could you specify?
No, I will announce them when they will be run, but I can not mention now, because I don't know.

7) Is it cold in Cananda at this time of the year?
Canada Yes, Victoria, No, It is temperate and mild wit lots of rain in the winter, with little snow. :)

November 20, 2002, 10:44 pm
can we have custom textures?

Flanagan
November 21, 2002, 12:18 am
Yes, thanks for asking, these are great questions you guys are posting.

Yes custom textures are allowed. It will increase the popularity of your map, if it looks damn nice.

I decided to post the rubric to the contest for the guidelines, to help you in designing your map.

:::::RUBRIC:::::

Looks - */10
This may seam kind of broad but this is the category where the judge will determine how well the map looks.

Playability - */35
This is the biggy and the most important. The game play needs to flow, not get stuck, bots need to get everywhere you can, no advantages to the smarter 
humans.

Originality - */5
Not important but can get you up above your competitors. The reason this is here is to try to make some really unique levels for Soldat.

November 21, 2002, 5:52 pm
so, how much money do you need for me to win, then?

Flanagan
November 22, 2002, 12:59 am
None, a great map, and $2000 OBO.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):0

November 23, 2002, 1:41 pm
its in the post.

Flanagan
November 26, 2002, 5:43 am
Thanx

IMPORTANT:::::::::::::::::::::::
The Contest ends in five (5) days. The maps must be submitted by 12:00 AM(noon) GMT-8 December 1st

Please enter, because it will rock :)

c0n
November 27, 2002, 11:02 pm
How many have entered so far in the contest??

Flanagan
November 27, 2002, 11:37 pm
8, not that it matters. Please enter to give me joy after my exams.

November 28, 2002, 6:20 pm
of course it matters, otherwise why are we doing it?

Flanagan
November 28, 2002, 7:14 pm
It doesn't matter how many people are entering it.

Killa Gorilla
November 28, 2002, 10:20 pm
is it possible to post map upgrades/updates? or should the map be done by the date of submitting?

Flanagan
November 28, 2002, 11:41 pm
The Map will be graded in the state that it is submitted in. No updates wil be accepted, because of logistical difficulties

Killa Gorilla
November 30, 2002, 10:16 pm
alright... by the way... got my map? i'm not sure about my outlook express. it sucks d|ck and sometimes it won't send the e-mail although telling me that it's been sent... i don't get it. but anyways please let me know if you got it. if not i'll TRY to send it once again.
thx

Disco Dan
December 1, 2002, 3:54 am
I'm entering. So everyone else can just lay down their weapons.

Muff_Daddy
December 1, 2002, 9:46 am
lol i would enter but my maps suck serious ass.. (waypointing, polygons)

Flanagan
December 1, 2002, 9:20 pm
The Contest is over, but I will wait one more day before sending out the maps to be judged.

Flanagan
December 1, 2002, 9:20 pm
The Contest is over, but I will wait one more day before sending out the maps to be judged. Send your maps in quickly!!!!!!!!

BHedL
December 1, 2002, 10:34 pm
You did get the one I sent, right?

Flanagan
December 1, 2002, 11:03 pm
If you aren't sure if I got it, send it again in the next 24 hours. It must be in .ZIP format otherwise it won't be accepted (no .RAR, .ACE, .PMP)

Daz
December 2, 2002, 12:15 am
any chance of these maps being all zipped up together and released as a little map pack? would be nice to see a few top quality maps all together

Flanagan
December 2, 2002, 2:53 am
The Maps will definateley be released as a map pack, and I will also do a feature on them that will be hosted on my site. The winner will be downloadable as well from underneath the Soldat Download.

-Soldier-
December 3, 2002, 4:33 am
Tight....... cant wait to see these maps....

Nice guy with a gun
December 3, 2002, 8:49 am
so who won?

Ta-2
December 4, 2002, 1:50 pm
im ecxited that im gonna win!

Killa Gorilla
December 4, 2002, 3:10 pm
ta-2: excuse me, what? i dun understand that sentence. please clarify.

Ta-2
December 4, 2002, 3:18 pm
Everyone im must tell one thing: I SUCK SPEAKING ENGLISH thank you...

Flanagan
December 4, 2002, 5:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by Flanagan

VII) Results will be posted on either Saturday December 14th or Sunday December 15th

They will be announced Sunday December 15th.

Nice guy with a gun
December 4, 2002, 7:54 pm
oops, i guess i missed reading that part.

December 5, 2002, 6:00 pm
AWWWW
im going to New Zealand for christmas before that!
That means i've gotta wait EVEN LONGER!
[:-scared][:-cry][:-banghead]

Flanagan
December 5, 2002, 11:26 pm
Find a net cafe, and do a temp DL of it. In my local net cafe, I can DL 25mb, but at the end of my session it auto deletes. You might be able to do it in NZ.

December 7, 2002, 1:03 pm
or, i could use the PC at the place im staying. theyre friends that moved there 4 years ago. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Killa Gorilla
December 7, 2002, 5:03 pm
[:D] can't wait to see the results!

pikkpoiss14
December 7, 2002, 9:52 pm
When will be the next mapping contest for soldat. Can't wait it, want to send my map too there LOL [8)]

Flanagan
December 15, 2002, 7:47 am
The Results are in.

THE WINNER IS..............

..............paranoID with CTF Dragon War.

A close SECOND was BHedL with CTF_Seige.

A even closer THIRD was Killa Gorilla with Island Wars.

I wish to thank everyone for their entries. See the results and download links at my site (hosters of the forum) http://www.soldataction.tk (click the link on the pic of the winning map to go to the results.

paranoID
December 15, 2002, 10:58 pm
Wowy! [8D] I can't believe I won [:-hspin]
You know, the funny thing is: It's my birthday today, so that's one very nice birthdaypresent you got for me [:D] thank you all who gave me your points!!
I hope the map is worth it and that you'll have some nice and successful [:D] matches full of action on it!!!
I guess it's my duty to apply for SMG now [:-hspin]

Daz
December 15, 2002, 11:24 pm
Congrats paranoID [:D]

DeMo
December 22, 2002, 4:42 am
Congratulations to paranoID for his great map.
A pice of art.. VERY creative!

This pack is now downloadable from Soldat Bunker
http://members.lycos.co.uk/soldatbunker

Mappers, Modders and Soldat Players out there: you can freely register in Soldat Bunker so you can post new downloads (your maps, mods, etc), news that appear on the front page, articles, reviews and much more!!