( search forums )
ctf_fog devlog
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Disco Dan
November 17, 2002, 9:37 pm
This is my sort of devlog for the map I'm working on now, ctf_fog.

I'll post updates and shots whenever I feel like it.

As someone said in the ctf_swamp thread, I should make a 'perfect' map so here I go.

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 17, 2002, 9:47 pm
O_o yay cant wait to see this when its done...

Apro
November 18, 2002, 12:41 pm

Hmmm... That name sounds like it could fit to a map I'm making [:D]... Luckily mine is named differently.

Disco Dan
November 21, 2002, 12:55 am
I've got the basic layout of the level finished.

Both teams have a bunker on either sides of the map. It isn't just a little room either, but a full complex with seperate respawning rooms, and an area for the flag.

In between the map, there are 2 ways of getting to the enemies' base.

1: Go through the bottom path, which has a sniper's den (or machine gun nest) on both sides which are only accessable from your teams' base. There are also craters and trenches littered around the place.

2: Go through the top path, which has one bunker in the center of it. It's a king of the hill style situation. Whatever team holds it will have an advantage over the enemy. There are several machine gun nests and firing platforms.

The color scheme of the map is in murky greys and greens, with a tint of yellow mixed in. I'm using rusty metal stuff in place of grass for bits in the map that are particularly burnt or battle damaged.

I'm workin on the map now.

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 21, 2002, 12:57 am
sounds good cant wait

btw nice sig :)

Disco Dan
November 21, 2002, 8:48 am
I'm thinking about using Apro's silly fog trick.

Apro
November 21, 2002, 9:26 am

heh [:D]... Just don't make the fog as strong as in WhoGoesThere, as otherwise you can't see the team colours and again the bots roam.

Disco Dan
November 21, 2002, 11:52 am
Does map editor pro let you choose exactly (as a percentage) how transparent to make objects?

Apro
November 21, 2002, 12:39 pm
You have 4 choises to choose from. Get the latest version from Meizi's EditPro pages... It makes a lot of things easier... I for example do all my bot pathing with it [:D]. Esaier and faster than in normal editor.

Flanagan
November 21, 2002, 5:55 pm
The new editor is great, and your map soundds vaguely like my CTF Bridge (Well the upper level anyways. Try it at my site, Even if it is a shameless self promotion. You can DL it at the downloads page, but there is no review yet.

mak89gt
November 23, 2002, 5:10 pm
sigh, i can hardly wait for the map.....

Killa Gorilla
November 26, 2002, 10:45 pm
why do you people always make ctf maps? i mean ctf is cool but not all the time! why don't you make some dm maps? like i do. am i the only damn mothertrucker who plays dm?

Muff_Daddy
November 27, 2002, 9:17 am
probably....

Killa Gorilla
November 27, 2002, 11:01 am
very funny....

c0n
November 28, 2002, 2:19 am
no, i usually play DM games, but i just go with the flow and play ctf :)

Flanagan
November 28, 2002, 5:49 am
If you look at my site, I make pretty much even DM and CTF maps, I have no preference, well, I like to snipe, which is why I like CTF :)

Disco Dan
November 28, 2002, 6:18 am
Bah, this map sucks.

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 28, 2002, 6:20 am
threw it away already? maybe u can start on a artic map now ;)

SimdroneX
November 28, 2002, 6:40 am
This thread is truly a classic, PIN IT TO THE TOP!

Apro
November 28, 2002, 10:18 pm
Yeah... Do that and oon we will have one forum full of pinned topics [:-indifferent]... But anyways: I know how you feel Disco... I have about 163 maps which are almost ready, but I'm too lazy to finish 'em [:D]...

November 29, 2002, 8:07 am
Whats all this jibberjabber about DM and CTF? We all know that the best game is teamDM.

Not only is this thread a classic, it's a HOT TOPIC! (you will understand that if you've seen Alan Partridge)

Disco Dan
November 29, 2002, 8:41 am
You're a retard. DM maps can be played in Team.

November 29, 2002, 3:51 pm
i know, but i prefer teammatch as opposed to DM

Killa Gorilla
November 29, 2002, 4:12 pm
yo i'ma stand-alone-soldat though. therefor i prefer just dm where i can kill everything that moves, or doesn't move but who cares if it's moving?

Muff_Daddy
December 1, 2002, 2:03 am
lol.. just a question, what scenery did you use to make fog??? ive got editpro

Apro
December 1, 2002, 11:22 am
Me? I used the Grey Board if I remember right...

Killa Gorilla
December 1, 2002, 2:04 pm
you can use the sandbags if you want white fog though

Apro
December 1, 2002, 4:34 pm
Well you can basically use any scenery you want to... Some look like a gas, some look like fog... And some look like water [:D]...

Muff_Daddy
December 2, 2002, 9:01 am
well i used rocks on my map, looks like city smog.. lol im too embarassed to post it right now because my map looks crap right now

Killa Gorilla
December 2, 2002, 1:33 pm
i used stones for a waterfall. check out my map island wars.

Apro
December 2, 2002, 10:33 pm
Oh jeah.. About your waterfall Killa... Why didn't you use many overlapping transparent scenerys? Might have been even more "realistic" looking...

Killa Gorilla
December 2, 2002, 11:06 pm
hm... dunno... maybe i'm just too lazy? why don't you do it. no seriously, do it and then send me the map so i can see what you did. then i just say "i did it" [:)] and get the whole "fame". yay! i'm already looking forward to it!! [:)][:)][:)]

Edge
December 3, 2002, 2:03 am
lol Except now everyones onto you killa

Killa Gorilla
December 3, 2002, 12:05 pm
ohhhhhhhhhh noooooooooo! *running away*
[:D]
btw, apro: love your pic man! where did you get it?
and also try out this site: www.badassbuddy.com. there you'll find some veeeeeery cool gif animations.

Muff_Daddy
December 4, 2002, 9:12 am
hmmm, ive overlapped 2 sceneries on my map, looks like thick smog, now i gotta fix up the sides because for some reason they are walkthroughable although i put them on non walkthroughable