( search forums )
Barret Thread to End All
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
El Diablo
October 28, 2003, 7:38 pm
The time has come to address my concerns on the Barret. I know a lot of you have brought up this topic in the past few weeks, grumbling over or praising to-be changes in Soldat 1.2, offering alternatives. I've liked some of them (running slower with heavy weapons, probably something else). I've disliked some of them, too, but I don't think it's hopeless. Here are my thoughts, you can tell me what you think.

Soldat is a war simulation. The reason real wars are not fought entirely with Barrets or D'Eagles or M79s is because they are not really practical weapons. In real life, the barret is a sniper rifle, designed to kill from a distance with accuracy, and any weapon capable of those two things is going to have a devestating recoil. That's why they don't give one to every soldier.

People have suggested that the gun fire less accurately in the interest of fairness. I ask you, is it fair that a Barret should fire with less accuracy in the air than a ruger? The bullet is going to go where you point the gun, period. What you should have to worry about is the recoil, which can be adjusted without ruining the weapon.

People have also suggested that the weapon's damage be lowered, to compensate for its ability to own. The only word for this is 'unrealistic'. If you're going to have a gun called a 'Barret' that doesn't do much damage, can't hit the same spot twice and doesn't throw you back after firing, you should either remove it from Soldat or call it something else.

Do we really need two rugers? I like having a one-shot-kill weapon in Soldat, even if I choose not to use it. I'm tired of the unbalance it introduces to gameplay, just like anyone else, but I think there are right ways and wrong ways to fix this.

Frosty
October 28, 2003, 7:48 pm
When I am in war, I like to use jet-boots. Oh and the little boxes that make me invisible.

War mode 4 life.

kkazican
October 28, 2003, 9:02 pm
Frosty STFU! I'm sick and tired of people saying oh yeah I'm gonna use my jetpacks
Jetpacks aren't realistic. Well here is something. Jetpacks DO EXIST! Only 1 that can be displayed publicly but they DO EXIST! Yes the game is somewhat unrealistic with it's glitchiness but cmon people. IT IS A GAME!!!!! The least you could recognize it the fact that these weapons ARE REAL they DO EXIST in real life and FUKING UP THEIR PHYSICS WOULD BE JUST LIKE USING A COMPLETELY DIFFERANT WEAPON!

Aquarius
October 28, 2003, 9:13 pm
I am not sure what Soldat is [:o)], but definitely it is not a war SIMULATION.

Frosty
October 28, 2003, 9:17 pm
quote:Originally posted by Aquarius
I am not sure what Soldat is [:o)], but definitely it is not a war SIMULATION.

Yes, you are correct. We have a winner.

Chakra
October 28, 2003, 10:25 pm
*checks* ...yep, barret is still the lamers choice and heavily over-dominant. Seems this thread ain't ended much....still, valid point. Many many wrong ways to 'fix' it. Can't say I know the right way, though..

?
October 28, 2003, 10:26 pm
hey kkazican chill out your 12 year old temper, idiot

morpheus
October 28, 2003, 11:19 pm
i could fix the barret "problem" real easy. extend the m79 to its proper range of 400 meters. with its arc, i'd have no prob clearing out snipers. but if that happened, then there would be 100 "nerf the m79" posts. so you see, you just can't win for losing.

Duke33
October 29, 2003, 5:21 am
No. In case i have to remind people, we had a 16 page argument on barrets--ended most stuff. There will always be bitching about various things--thats good, because if we didnt then the soldat community would stagnate and fail. Sad thought, but true. So, while we can have many more barret threads and will...i think that ive stated my opinion enough to not speak here. Argue on people...

NuZZ
October 29, 2003, 6:04 am
Just be quiet, the new version barret is great, works fine, and it is harder too use. MUCH harder :)
But for the oddest reason Im a full on pro... But yeah don't even think about the barret till you have recieved 1.2... There is a reason why it has taken such a long time to be released.
>Shood be out very soon people... I can't believe how long it has taken so far though, heh :)<

aLpHaNuMe12iK
October 29, 2003, 6:12 am
uh...
wats a barret?
i read this big long thread about it. but i got hung up on the words longer than three sylables. ARGH!

Duke33
October 29, 2003, 6:15 am
Are you feeling okay? Seriously. Have you EVER played soldat? The M82A1 Barret, no.8, that grey gun that goes makes a big bang and sprays your granny's brains on the the wall. No?

sorry....i just thought that'd youd have to be pretty dim to not know....dont take offense.

choco
October 29, 2003, 7:09 am
Barret M82A1 anti material rifle (in soldat it should be barret m99 that thing is bolt action just check http://world.guns.ru its all in there)a high powered .50 caliber anti light vehicle weapon its meant to be semi auto (i take it the bullet reload time is for the soldat to pop his shoulders back in again)anyways its capable of penetrating tank armour and tears through kevlar with no probs, so an idea with the barret would be to give it 90% damage and armour has no effect on the bullet, or the bullet can go right through a soldat and get the guy behind him too(hehhehe) then have the auto users come through and lay waste, this would encourage co-operative play

frogboy
October 29, 2003, 7:29 am
NERF THE BARRET THREADS!!!!!

The Barret in Soldat isn't anti-material yet, this is why (quoted from Halo Manual)
"WARNING: The 14.5x114mm APFSDS round is an anti-materiel* munition. It can easily over-penetrate several armored soldiers. Be sure of what is on the other side of your target before firing."

*Hee-hee, Halo made a typo.

choco
October 29, 2003, 9:42 am
but the m82 in the real world takes that particular type of ammo and btw in a way im powering up the barret (multiple soldat penetration.......this would also get rid of the noobs blocking your line of site when ur about to snipe the enemy flag bearer on b2b GRRRR i h8 those noobs)the 90% would just be to make people use other weps more than the barret and encourage co-operative play...like on soldier of fortune 2 sniper shoots, and hits, guy with mp5sd comes in (clicky noises) (enemy dies)see this could work........ummm.....SCOPE THE STEYR (starts chant)

TomPenny
October 29, 2003, 11:02 am
i love bread.. o_O

Droopy
October 29, 2003, 12:04 pm
Heh, funy one!

Duke33
October 31, 2003, 1:08 am
What the hell are you people going on about. Someone didnt know what the barret was, and then suddenly we're talking about anti-material and shooting through soldiers or something. And then bread....am i missing something?

aLpHaNuMe12iK
October 31, 2003, 6:03 am
*sarcasm alert*
REALLY!?! WOW! I FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHAT A BARRET WAS! SOMEBODY NEEDS TO MAKE IT FIRE AS FAST AS THE MP5 THAT WOULD WAS SO COOL OMG WHY DON'T YOU GUYS OMG DO THAT! I WOULD PWN YOU ALL! COOL!
-end-

anyways...

LOL! tom penny got fined posts for star hunting! nm, hes already a MUPPET!
droopy needs to be one too...

so um, isn't the barret already "fixed" in 1.2? like its accuracy or something decreaed while airbourne?

Dragon88
November 5, 2003, 8:02 pm
The problem is not power, nor accuracy. It's the extra sight. PERIOD.

kkazican
November 5, 2003, 8:38 pm
Dragon what are you talking about? It is not the accuracy or extra sight that kills people its the 1 hit kill fool. If you play soldat with many good players then you'd know that majority of time people will run right below with barret crouch and shoot you all in the same screen. Only idiots who can't kill campers blaim the scope.

Aspa
November 6, 2003, 12:23 pm
The problem with the barret lies in its lack of air-mobile accuracy deficiency. Do we get air-mobile accuracy deficiency in 1.2?

koil
November 6, 2003, 1:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by El Diablo
Soldat is a war simulation. The reason real wars are not fought entirely with Barrets or D'Eagles or M79s is because they are not really practical weapons. In real life, the barret is a sniper rifle, designed to kill from a distance with accuracy, and any weapon capable of those two things is going to have a devestating recoil. That's why they don't give one to every soldier.

i guess you forgot that in real life, (almost) one shot of (almost) evry gun (deagels, ak47, steyer, MINIGUN etc.) kills.

so if you want it a 'real war' game, then first we make EVRY weapon 1hit1kill.

knucklez
November 7, 2003, 12:12 pm
i think that soldat is a fair weapon... although it is powerful, it takes quite some time to reload. Maybe 1.2 should be alittle like counter-strike where you can buy your weapons?

Aquarius
November 7, 2003, 2:44 pm
Soldat is not a counter-strike. BTW in RL soldiers don't buy the weapons. It's a goverment [;)]