( search forums )
Any ideas on how to run it without DirectX?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
RyoxSinfar
October 29, 2003, 1:12 am
Hey, I have 2 computer classes in highschool now. We run NT OSs. The admin is a [:-censored]. We can't download OR install programs! Even if its not to the computer! Even if its to like, a floppy!

Now I wanna play Soldat in school (C++ and Java are pretty easy so far, oh and... Computer Club? yeah... SUCKS.), I have been messing witht the config to all ends! I can get it to run... but the screen turns black/grey whenever I start a game. And this never changes. Any Ideas? I can't save directX installs anywhere so either I need to find it on my system (XP) and get it to thier comps or... I don't know.

Please for the sake of Computer Club and the enjoyment of MANY kids! Help! Thanks [:D]

aLpHaNuMe12iK
October 29, 2003, 6:31 am
ummm... shouldn't you be doing whatever you're supposed to be doing in this... "computer club?"

and you guys are running NT, as in the old NT4.0's? i've never used that OS, but i have experinced the pain of not being able to install programs that require registry-modifications or check for admin priviliges before installation onto school computers.

however, i have not ever been able to load a newer version of directX onto the computers with simple restricted user priviliges. Versions of directX below 9.0 are loaded into the folder Program Files, which on Windows2000 machines, cannot be modified. if you can use "run," try running "dxdiag" to see if you have directX and the version. if you just don't have the most recent version, i'd say you're SOL. Sh!t-outta-luck.

by the way, i don't think you can manually copy files over from your system to the school's computers easily and expect them to work. you'd have a mess of registry editing to do, as well as a bunch of searching for the files that directX installs...

go back to learning cpp, coding gets pretty dam tedious when you start using matricies. and don't complain, many algorithims are even more of a hassle to code.

palloco
October 29, 2003, 11:25 am
If you are ever able to run it without directx Soldat will probably not function because of cheating. I am amazed you were able to install it on NT. Are you from CCC?

Aniond
October 30, 2003, 2:39 am
With NT , you can copy the files and have it work. because it auto registers..

-David

BManx2000
October 31, 2003, 11:47 pm
Well, if you can't download or install anything to the computer including directx, I'd say you're pretty screwed, considering that soldat REQUIRES directx to run... Try talking to the computer teacher and ask him to set it up so you can install it (assuming you don't know the answer already :P). Otherwise, you'd have to hack the system and change the admin priveleges...

NightCabbage
November 1, 2003, 9:00 am
1st - NT 4 is EVUL!!

2nd - Soldat requires Direct X to play. So, you're screwed ;) lol!

But, I feel your pain. And yes, network admins as schools are often complete pricks :P